School me on motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on motors

I have been playing with slot cars for about a year now. I don't have a lot of cars, so I haven't had a chance to try a lot of different motors. I have found that NSR Shark 21k and 25k, Predator 25k and NSR EVO King 21k motors seem to work the best for me. I have used a slot.it motor or two, but they are not marked, so I have no idea what the specs are. This leads me to a couple questions:

1. I have a number of Sideways cars, angle winders with long can motors. Two have yellow motors and lots more chassis adjustments and 3 have orange motors with fewer adjustments. The cars with orange motors appear to be much newer than those with yellow motors. The ones with yellow motors seriously out perform those with orange motors. I would like to know why. There are no posted specs for either motor and it seems like the orange motor is a downgrade.

2. I see a lot of motors with rpms of 30, 40 and even 50k in long and short can size. Is there any advantage to using these motors?

My track is 3 lane, 60' MDF, individual power supplies, run whatever voltage you like (9.5 - 10.5 seems to be the sweet spot), and my controllers are DiFalco 301 and 302.

The yellow motor is the same motor the Slot it sells. It is a 20500k motor and the Sideways orange motor is 17500 motor so yes it is a little slow.
    Mike.
    Clover Leaf Racing 7746 Clyde Road Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A. 313-473-SLOT
    web site: https://cloverleafracing.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
    YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch

Comment

• Bal r 14
      Bal r 14 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Sounds like a motor swap is needed.

• Kevan
      Kevan commented
      Editing a comment
      I have three of those yellow flat 6 motors and non tach over 19k.

Originally posted by Bal r 14 View Post

2. I see a lot of motors with rpms of 30, 40 and even 50k in long and short can size. Is there any advantage to using these motors?.
    I only use 30k short cans in cars with ample tyre contact, i.e. F1's and the bigger Sports cars that can fit 12mm wide tyres on. Even then a 25k short can is only marginally slower.

Anything over 30k especially long cans will see your tyres die a quick death and any work you put into preparing them quickly wasted. So the only advantage is faster top speed but most of the time will result in slower lap times.

Kevan - Isle of Man
    Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Our group races on a 63 ft wood track and we have found most 21500 short can motors is all you need if its a long can 21500 motor with 220 grams of torque also works great slotting plus makes a great motor. We find torque is as important as RPM high torque motors are harder on tires if not geared right.

Comment

• 4424ever
        4424ever commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok so what do you consider geared right

As a comparison we have 2 club tracks at Dodge Valley here on the Gold Coast in Australia. The Duster is a 4 lane Carrera aprrox 24m each lane. On this track
      open GT3 class, mostly NSR AW 21400 on rubber tires no magnets low 8 sec laps @11V are the norm now a couple of guys are in the high 7 secs. There are a couple of us with Sideways Lambo Huracans on stock tires 17500 AW, low 8sec all day, marginally slower on the main straight, which is noticable.
      On Hellcat pass, our 4 lane routed timber non mag braid, think it's about 17m lane length we see similar results, times are mid to low 5 sec and a couple in the high 4 sec range. Again you get the NSR cars marginally quicker on the straight.
      I also have a NSR Pink Pig 997 Porsche SW, I swapped out the 25k with a Predator 22500k BB and it's much quicker with the smaller RPM motor, same gearing and same tires.
      I'm finding that I prefer to go down to a slower RPM motor and still getting lap times as quick if not quicker than the bigger RPM power

Comment

Gearing can be different based on the track whether it is tight or more open. On our track with a 21500 motor I usually start with 11-32 gearing get a base lap time and then gear it lower till I get to the ratio that gives me the quickest times. On a short tight track I would gear to a taller ratio from stock to try and get an improvement. With a higher torque motor I would probably start with 11-30 ratio if a car has good grip out of the corner and you can see the front end lifting then I would go to 11-29 or a 10-30 next. I have to agree with Pepsi 22 on lower RPM motors, but it is just as important to look at the torque I like to around 150 grams on lighter cars and closer to 220 grams on heavier cars.

Comment

Last night one of the classes we raced was Small Sports, one of the guys was racing a King Cobra with a brass & wire chassis and Shark 30 SW setup, it holds the lap record for the class. I was racing a Chaparral 2C on an IL plastic chassis that I'd drawn up and printed that runs an SRP 20k short can, it's a tenth slower than the King Cobra but dead easy (too easy) to race...the Chappy did 3 more laps.

Sometimes easier to drive is quicker.
          Kevan - Isle of Man

Comment

I think I have a lot to learn yet about gearing. On my track, the 350gr Evo Kings are the fastest cars, along with the slightly slower Thunder Slots. Most of my other cars have short can 21k - 25k and a few 28k motors and they are typically .2 - .4 seconds slower. However, on other tracks in our group, heavier cars with small motors (like RevoSlot) seem to be the choice. These are much bigger tracks (around 100'). We all use silicone tires.

Comment

The yellow motors and the orange motors are not the same size. The yellow one is not as tall as the orange.
              You can swap a yellow for an orange but not necessarily the other way around due to interior or body clearance. The swap requires some bits and pieces that are normally taped to the bottom of the base.

Personally, I like the way the orange motors run on 12 volts. A tad bit slower but smoother that the yellow.
              Last edited by WB2; April 8, 2022, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Bal r 14
                Bal r 14 commented
                Editing a comment
                I tried swapping orange for NSR Evo King. The chassis of the car is not up to that much power. I just could not get rid of the hopping and slipping. Ended up swapping for NSR Shark 25k short can. Still figuring out the gearing.

Gearing is a personal preference, if I have a car that still has way too much brakes even on minimum brake setting I gear-up (bigger pinion and/or smaller spur/crown), this tones the braking down whilst reducing acceleration a little but gives a bit more top speed which can be dialed back on the controller.
              To me a perfectly geared car is one that can accelerate the full length of the longest straight but almost feels like it needs a quicker motor.
              Kevan - Isle of Man

Comment

• Bal r 14
                Bal r 14 commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. The cars, on which I am still fiddling with the gearing, feel like they are done accelerating much too soon.
            Working...
            X
            UA-149438709-1