X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bal r 14
    HRW Forum Veteran
    • Feb 2021

I need help with NSR F1 gearing

I have an NSR F1, which has the King 21 long can motor (21.4k /350gr). It wasn't as fast as the NSR anglewinders, which use the same motor and I was fooling around trying figure out why. I also wanted to try the NSR Shark EVO 28 (28k/200gr). I have been trying to come up with a good gear configuration for both motors and I'm not having any luck. The NSR anglewinders using the same King 21 motor use a 13t pinion and 31t gear (2.4 ratio). The inline gearing used in the F1 is 10/27 (2.7 ratio). I don't know why they would do that, especially since the F1 has a smaller diameter tire than the anglewinders. NSR sidewinders that use the Shark 25 (25k/ 180gr) use 11t/32t gearing (2.9 ratio). I reasoned with a 28k motor I could use a 3.0 ratio, given more rpm and torque.

The problem I am having is finding the right pinion and crown combination for F1 that gives me a 2.4 ratio with the Evo King or a 3.0 ratio with the Shark 28.. The ones I have on hand that fit each other, for either motor, don't yield great performance. The other possibility is I have no idea what I'm doing and have come to all the wrong conclusions about the gear ratios.
    Last edited by Bal r 14; December 8, 2021, 04:57 PM.
  • Kevan
    HRW Forum Veteran
    • Oct 2019

#1. What voltage is your track?
    #2. What kind of track do you race on?
    #3. Mag or no mag?

We have a 3 lane routed track, the lap record for hard body 1/32 is 5.6" and we race no-mag...I can get my NSR F1 round in 5.8"
    I thought the standard gearing had too much brakes and didn't let the NSR F1 flow so put a 26T crown in which helped.
    With a Shark 28 I run 10/26, the S-can motors don't have the same amount of brakes as a King but flow better.
    Kevan - Isle of Man
    Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

• Bal r 14
      HRW Forum Veteran
      • Feb 2021

My track is 3 lane 60' routed MDF, no magnets, silicon tires, lots of turns, 10.2v. Track record is 5.88 with NSR Mercedes AW. F1 with stock gearing runs 5.92, with Shark 28 it runs 6.09 with 10/27 gears. Are you using DiFalco 301/302 controllers?

I think I will order a 25 and 26 tooth crown gear and give them a try.

Thanks.

Comment

• chrisguyw
        HRW Forum Veteran
        • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Bal r 14
        The problem I am having is finding the right pinion and crown combination for F1 that gives me a 2.4 ratio with the Evo King or a 3.0 ratio with the Shark 28.. The ones I have on hand that fit each other, for either motor, don't yield great performance. The other possibility is I have no idea what I'm doing and have come to all the wrong conclusions about the gear ratios.
        Both the 2.4 ratio for the "King" and the 3.0 for the "Shark" are easily attainable................a 10T pinion and a 24T Crown for the "King", and a 9T pinion and a 27T Crown for the "Shark".

If racing on wood, the "Shark" option has proved the better choice, as it weighs 12 (ish) grams less than the "King"..........which promotes better handling.

Cheers
        Chris Walker

PS This one has been geared 9 x 25, as it runs on a very long track (20ft + straights)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4733.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	136397

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4729.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	136398

Comment

• Mitch58
          HRW Forum Veteran
          • Oct 2019

Mine was very fast out of the box, but like Chris I replaced the long can with a C130 can running 21.5K. I personally like the mid range throttle response I get from the smaller can motors.

Comment

• Bal r 14
            HRW Forum Veteran
            • Feb 2021

I am just getting started with changing motors and gearing. So far, what changes I have made have not been real successful... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So, all comments are appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            UA-149438709-1