1/24 sidewinder chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/24 sidewinder chassis

Does anyone make an H&R type chassis (kinda narrow and don't forget cheap ) in sidewinder configuration or can the H&R chassis be modified to be a sidewinder? I'm not very good at soldering otherwise I would try and make my own.
    Dave
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Hi Dave, What are you trying to accomplish ??....might give me something better to go on.

As far as the H&R,.......it certainly could be modified to accept a sidewinder motor configuration, but, it would involve some Dremel work, a JK straight motor bracket, and a reasonable amount of soldering.

There are several 1/24 "Flexi" 2 piece chassis around that may work, again depending on what you are trying to achieve.club rules etc.

Below is a typical "Flexi" chassis.........the motor is on a mild angle, and you will need to add a front axle tube. The pans can be cut in width, and several manufacturers make reduced width (for F1 cars) pans. Lots of commercial raceways have classes for Flexi chassis under "Hard" bodies.

Again, If you can be more specific, it would help.

As far as a cheap/decent/narrow 1/24 sidewinder chassis,......not sure one exists.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

PS The Flexi type chassis are not that expensive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MAR-309__99437.1568852094.jpg?c=2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	174.8 KB ID:	131984

Comment

Dave, when we ran them a lot a couple of the guy's made sidewinder out of them. Cheap is a relative term though, good thing is I know you and these will cost more than 20.00 so it may be out of your reach.
      Mike
      Clover Leaf Racing 7746 Clyde Road Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A. 313-473-SLOT
      web site: https://cloverleafracing.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
      YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch

Comment

Mike you do know me well... When I say cheap $50 for a complete HRS rolling chassis is cheap although the motor is unusable. Chris I'm making a hardbody but it's on the smaller side. 69 Firebird. A 1/32 chassis is only 1/4" too short. I'm trying to keep most of the interior so inline is out of the question. Tires are also an issue as they can't be too wide. I'm trying to make this a realistic street car for my Sis.

I have made a chassis out of computer board and a slot-it pod for another 1/24 car I have and it turned out Ok but not the best. I know people have experimented with a rear engine setup (behind the axle) but what I don't remember is are they drivable? I have plenty of room behind the axle to turn the pod around and have the engine in the rear. That way I could keep the whole interior. This is not for any kind of competition just some very spirited driving but in her case it does need to somewhat handle.
        Dave
        Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

• Mikeinclover
          Mikeinclover commented
          Editing a comment
          Dave they come with different motor configurations. I have them with 18k on up.

You could spend a few more $ and look at a Plafit chassis, and end up with a fully adjustable good handling car.

Comment

Hey Dave, there is the Scaleauto Home Series chassis. Not metal [it's,plastic], but it is sidewinder and comes with metal wheels, and is adjustable, and $50.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeinclover View Post
            Dave, when we ran them a lot a couple of the guy's made sidewinder out of them. Cheap is a relative term though, good thing is I know you and these will cost more than 20.00 so it may be out of your reach.
            Mike
            Ed Magner
            Portage, MI

Comment

What about a BRM Camaro chassis?
              The Jester
              of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
              the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

Originally posted by 32lbking View Post
                Hey Dave, there is the Scaleauto Home Series chassis. Not metal [it's,plastic], but it is sidewinder and comes with metal wheels, and is adjustable, and $50.
                Interesting, thanks Randy I'll take a look at the adjustability.. This body is barely over 2 1/4" wide.
                Dave
                Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

• WB2
                  WB2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You’re not going to get the Home Series that narrow.
                  Mine came with indexed plastic wheels. It measures a bit over 3 1/8” outside-to-outside over the rear tires. The frame itself is almost 2 1/4” wide.
                  Rereading the post, are you sure the body width is 2 1/4” and not 3 1/4”? I just measured a BRM Camaro body: it’s over 3” wide. If that’s the case, the Home Series should work. However, complete running chassis are not available according to Alan Smith at 132SlotCars.

See post #5: https://www.slotforum.com/threads/br.../#post-2277087
                  Stock tread and wheelbase at max.
                  Last edited by WB2; November 17, 2021, 09:30 AM.

I have converted a H&R chassis to sidewinder. It was easy to do & didn’t add any extra brass. I just cut the motor bracket & resoldered. I’ll find which car it was & take some photos after work.

Comment

I just measured the body and body width at the bottom is 2 3/16". The body does taper in at the bottom. However the widest I can have WITH tires is 2 1/2" and that might be with sanding the fender bulge depending on the height of the tire. It has a 4 5/8" WB. I might be better off going with a 1/32 chassis and modifying it get the length I need and also figuring out how to get a very tall 1/32 tire. Stock tires that came on the model are 1 1/8" tall about 27 mm. It's an old Amt model kit.
                  Dave
                  Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

To bad you can't find Pro track chassis any more. I haven't looked for them in a long time but I don't think they make them anymore. They were a very narrow chassis and adjustable.
                    Mike
                    Clover Leaf Racing 7746 Clyde Road Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A. 313-473-SLOT
                    web site: https://cloverleafracing.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
                    YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch

Comment

H&R converted to sidewinder

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3016.jpg Views:	31 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	132466
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3013.jpg Views:	31 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	132463

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3014.jpg Views:	31 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	132464

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3015.jpg Views:	31 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	132465
                      Last edited by mopargreg; November 18, 2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

• mattb
                        mattb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Good job, could have even gone a little anglewinder.

Alternatively I use MJK stainless dogbone sidewinder chassis.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=126772&d=1634509608.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	132469

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	132510 Thanks for all the replies and the pics Greg. Gives me some ideas.

Mike, do you have this at the store? SICH31E HRS2 Sidewinder RTR Chassis w/0.5mm Offset Motor pod.
                        L
                        ooking at the stats on the chassis this might work. The wheel width is perfect, the only thing is the wheelbase is about a 1" to short. It's hard to tell in the pic so I'm not to sure on how hard it would be to lengthen the chassis.
                        Last edited by dw5555; November 18, 2021, 12:18 PM.
                        Dave
                        Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1