Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you tell what gears to use together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you tell what gears to use together?

I am referring to physical fit, not gear ratios. All of the sidewinders and anglewinders I have use pods that don't have any adjustments. If I change a pinion gear, I must change the other gear as well, or they won't mesh. How do you tell which gears go together? I have a number of cars that were adequate performers on my old shorter track that lack top speed for my current track. I have been able to fix the problem on several cars by swapping to higher rpm motors and using the same pinion gear, but that seems like blind luck.

If you look on the Slot Car Corner website, there is a gear compatibility chart that will help you (it's been posted several times). For SW pods that have a fixed distance between pinion and spur center, some gears work and some don't and it varies by pod.
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
    https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

On my Slot It sidewinder pods I like an NSR 6.75 mm pinion and a 17.5 mm ScaleAuto spur gear. I don't know if the chart says they are compatible but they mesh good and sound good.
      Butch Dunaway
      Oxford, Ohio

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7CAFDCA7-9F97-465A-AFB1-C390AEE875BA.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	129868
        Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
        Facebook-
        https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
        YouTube-
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

• Bal r 14
          Bal r 14 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. That helps a lot!

I would assume that matched brands would be best, but mine are all jumbled together in the parts drawers, As far as ratio I know what I'm looking for. For the rest it is all about sound and feel. I'll put something together, is it quiet? is it smooth?, if not, change one of them. I know it's not very scientific but it seems to work.

Comment

I think I have this right, if you were to use a Slot.It sidewinder gear in a Scaley, you'd use an 19mm instead of the standard 18mm. Anyway, if I had my druthers, I'd run 64 pitch in everything.

Comment

• chrisguyw
            chrisguyw commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct !!,..........however you could certainly switch to a 7.5mm pinion, and use the 18mm spur, and have the same quality mesh...........this would provide a touch more clearance between the track and Spur which would allow for some beneficial options !!

1/ With a touch more clearance, similar sized tires would last that much longer............not bad if you are running in a proxy with several rounds

2/ The smaller spur will allow for a smaller rear tire dia.,.....all the better for improved handling !!

The back of my head seems to remember that in a sidewinder spur-and-pinion-gear drive, if you add one tooth to the pinion and remove one tooth from the spur the centerline spacing remains the same. And vice-versa.

This seems counter-intuitive, I know. It works because the change in diameter of a circle is a fixed relation to a change in the circumference, and is not affected by how large that circle is. That relation, by the way is 1/pi, or approximately 0.31831.

Ed Bianchi
          Ed Bianchi
          York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

• chrisguyw
            chrisguyw commented
            Editing a comment
            Unfortunately Ed,........in todays plastic slotcar world, most manufacturers have adopted a production system where multiple tooth counts can appear on a single diameter of pinion and or spur........so the above is not true,......unless,.....one is using "true pitch" gears,...which almost no one on this forum does.

• HO RacePro
            HO RacePro commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, I do use true pitch gears on my custom-built cars. And most of industry does. But you're right about slotcars. And an awful lot of slotcar gears are not very good.
            Ed Bianchi

It is safe to say , that if one circle gets bigger the second circle should get smaller , because

Comment

So, it seems like I should have a lot of gears on hand.

Comment

I replaced the big King 21 EVO with the smaller Shark 28 in my NSR F1 car. I used an 8 tooth pinion. I would have preferred a 9 tooth, but I didn't have one. The performance is virtually the same. In an "drag race" against my fastest King 21 Evo car, it was just about dead even. I'm not sure I should have expected it to be different or not. I will say handling seems smoother. The NSR F1 was my fastest car before and still is.

Comment

• War Eagle River
                War Eagle River commented
                Editing a comment
                Shark 28?

• chrisguyw
                chrisguyw commented
                Editing a comment
                Scott,......The NSR Shark 28 has been around for well over a year now........

• War Eagle River
                War Eagle River commented
                Editing a comment
                And it doesn't outperform the King Evo21?

There is a considerable difference in torque (350 vs 200). I don't know if that would make a difference on another track. I did not change crown gears. I'm still pretty new to this and experimenting, so I haven't bought a lot of spare parts.
              Last edited by Bal r 14; November 4, 2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

If someone can point me towards a cheat sheet (reference document) for AW pods I would really appreciate it. I have the above SCC sheet hanging above my work bench, but what about NSR, Sideways and Scaleauto? Also when you change the gear and go up in teeth a Slot It the gear turns hub and when you use a pod with bearings the gear is much closer to pod and again the pinion / gear mesh changes. I have spent hours switching between 5.5, 6 and 6.5 and 6.75 pinions to try and get the preferred mesh and ratio! Almost forgot as I don't work much on Ninco cars these days, but they had the hub turned around!
                "I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong "
                "And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing"

Murray Walker

Comment

• chrisguyw
                  chrisguyw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Save yourself some aggro.,........use straight cut Spurs (the hub orientation is irrelevant),.....for decades now virtually every mid to high end slotcar has used straight cut Spur gears
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1