My Children are inspired...so let's paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Children are inspired...so let's paint

So since I learned from one of the best in Scott War Eagle River , my kids are wanting to dive in full on to this part of the hobby, particulary since they followed how neat the process was and what the end result can be.
    They each picked through all my cars, learned what was fast or cool to them, and picked out a body each for us to make crazy liveries together...so how could I say no?! And out came a pc fan, a storage tote and some creativity. Here we go...so far. You gotta check out some of the planning notes too, very thoughtful stuff from both my girls!

Slot.it models. Porsche 911GT1 and Mazda 787B.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_145135.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	99548

Name:	20210521_161006.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	99549

Name:	20210521_163419.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	99550

Name:	20210521_165010.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	99551

Name:	20210521_170843.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	765.2 KB
ID:	99552

I Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_181416.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	99553

Name:	20210521_200004.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	99554
    Attached Files
    Tony ... Tampa, FL, USA

It is nice to see them follow in your foot steps , also very nice colors for those two cars

Comment

How awesome is that!
      Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
      Facebook-
      https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
      YouTube-
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

The bodies look like that with Testors enamel? Wow...

Scott
        Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

• Model Murdering
          Model Murdering commented
          Editing a comment
          Things that make you go hmmmm : Testors jug paint? I use it for brush touch, of course. I also use it like a toner/concentrate. Reduce with common lacquer thinner and shoot with the airbrush. Great color and sheen selection. Cures hard. It's never run, wrinkled, or fish-eyed on me. A regular "go-to" here for the tricky bits.

I never thought about it until I was following along here, but I dont see why one couldnt paint larger scale projects with good success using the venerable Testors jugs.

Bill

• waaytoomuchintothis
          waaytoomuchintothis commented
          Editing a comment
          MM, just to be sure we are talking about the same things... When you say "Testor's jugs", are you talking about the traditional little square bottles?

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I love that they are both into this.

noddaz - those are Tamiya TS line in rattle can first. If only one could do that with a Testors bottle.

TS31 Bright Orange. Ironically close to the 'argyle sock' winning '91 Le Mans that is my car, but she's got 'flaming' plans if you look close.
        TS23 Light Blue. A 'diamond and 'sparkle' livery in the works for the 911GT1.
        Tony ... Tampa, FL, USA

Comment

This will make great memories for the girls. Having them design their own liveries was a great way to bring them into the hobby.
          Mike V.
          Western North Carolina

Comment

Nice base coat! Looks really glossy! Can't wait to see what they come up with!

Comment

Making memories with your family!

Hands on projects with your kids always top the charts down the road when you play "Remember When".

Comment

Bill, you nailed it...still learning, but I've already followed the steps, 1to1 dilution, airbrush ready with the little testors jugs. Why not experiment?! They will love it no matter how good or crappy, but we'll all learn to airbrush better with each pass. Can't wait to see how this custom stencil works out

Name:	20210524_081700.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	99847
                Tony ... Tampa, FL, USA

Comment

AsbestosMcQueen ...decals please sir....more to come
                  Last edited by wrangler#3; May 24, 2021, 07:27 AM.
                  Tony ... Tampa, FL, USA

Comment

• War Eagle River
                    War Eagle River commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He wont see this...you got the inside track!

I have Testors paints and compressed air system that I got from Hobby Linc , what I need is a ratio of paint to thinner . What I am looking for is it a 2/1 or 3/1 type thing . I have asked this question before and was told to mix to look like milk . I am no where near a season person at mixing paint that is why I am looking for a formula to begin with and tinker with as I get better

Comment

• Fathead59
                    Fathead59 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And besides Testor,s I have Model Masters paints also , would the mixture be the same for them also ?

• wrangler#3
                    wrangler#3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So I went 1:1. Everything went on well. I would even think I could go slightly less thinner to paint for the next flame color.

Inside track

Comment

• War Eagle River
                    War Eagle River commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well looky who it is...the inside track!!

Last update before some much needed vacation. Airbrushing going surprisingly well. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210525_193646.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	100105
                  Tony ... Tampa, FL, USA

Comment

waaytoomuchintothis commented
                  May 24, 2021, 04:57 PM

MM, just to be sure we are talking about the same things... When you say "Testor's jugs", are you talking about the traditional little square bottles?

Yes sir. The old 1/4 fluid oz bottle. I've been into multi coat metallic jobs and wet in wet lacquer schemes. Along the way I've grown cautious of enamels for all the obvious reasons, save the above exception. It was one of those nutty experiments that turned out rather well, and hasnt let me down. There's a lot fun colors to play with.

Fathead 59: Although we've seen all kinds of nice results over the years, I didnt like Model Master bottled enamels, (didnt stretch out tight and layed there kinda lifeless when dry); and their aerosol lacquer didnt play well with other lacquers, so I punted and never worked with it beyond the initial salvo . The Testor's bottled enamels are really viscous and dont get any better after they are opened. The truth is that I mostly decant from aerosols or bottles. Meaning, I wing it a lot. 1:1 for bottled or canned paints, and 2:1 for aerosols is a fair starting point for reduction. I'm looking for the consistency of milk. After the test shot I may adjust one way or the other. Some of the more viscous products can go all the way out to 6 :1 or better, but that tends to be the exception and not the rule.

Tony, wow! Looks really great.

What thinner are you using for the Testors enamel? If it's LT, let it cure fully, and go easy with light coats. My results were a single stage trick. I have no idea how it works with multi stage enamel applications. We've all had excellent paintj blow up ... LOL!

Bill

Comment

• wrangler#3
                    wrangler#3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am using Crown brand thinner

Here's J's latest concept. Shine bright like a...💎. Been slow since back from vaca and was priming for the Fly Classics Enduro (nothing like a complete chassis swap mid'race, but I digress)

Name:	20210606_181220.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	101950

Name:	20210606_181215.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	101951
                  Tony ... Tampa, FL, USA

Comment