Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A couple of my recent lexan 1/24 Charger Stockers paint jobs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of my recent lexan 1/24 Charger Stockers paint jobs...

I had meant to get these posted a while back - and posting the VW reminded me that I hadn't shared these. The first two were prior to getting my Silhouette Cameo for cutting vinyl masks - the following two are as I have progressed with the last one having the most intricate graphics I've done!

First one out of the paint booth used stick on prism numbers (the #8 could be applied inside backward and you couldn't tell) - masked off with garage sale price stickers to make the roundels. The black roof was masked off and painted first followed by the custom gold mix for the body:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200112_014517.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	71439

Name:	20200112_014632.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	71438

Name:	20200112_110840.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	71436

Following with the same two tone theme - we had a four hour enduro race that I painted the following body for. The white roof was masked and painted first and followed by the metallic light turquoise color. Similar to the body above, I used a stick on number 0 inside (but only as a mask this time) and a garage sale sticker roundel mask.

Name:	20200125_224853.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	71440

Name:	20200126_114627.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	71441
    Attached Files

The next body was after getting the vinyl cutter.
    Went for a retro look on this body I painted for a friend. All of this is done in paint (no decals / masks left inside)

Name:	20200704_230610.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	71452

Name:	20201213_160221.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	71450

Name:	20201213_161000.jpg
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	71451

Comment

WOW! Todd those came out great looking.
      Robert- Connecticut, USA. Shoreline Raceways Club.

Comment

WOW really nice work there Todd

Comment

The final one to share is one that I put a LOT of labor into to make/paint the logo on the hood! It is all done in paint and the overall paint scheme was composed of 8 different colors.

The hood logo (before being reversed for application inside the body)

Name:	Logo.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	71457

I applied the mask for this first and went about laying down the various shades of metallic silver through black to get the match to the company's actual logo...

Name:	20200704_214527.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	71464

Then it was on to the rest of the colors / details...

Name:	20200704_230848.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	71463

Name:	20200704_233348.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	4.84 MB
ID:	71460

Name:	20200704_230834.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	71459

I am really happy with the look of the end product and is the body I have been racing for the last five months.

Name:	20200809_161255.jpg
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	71461

Name:	20200830_171216.jpg
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	71456

Name:	20200712_171939.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	71458

Name:	20200712_172334.jpg
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	71462

Comment

Nice paint Todd! Were they painted with acrylics or solvent-based paint? Having the vinyl cutter really adds to a professional look! Do you recall which company pulled the Charger bodies? I look forward to seeing more of your sharp looking paint jobs in the future.

Comment

That last well MIC drop

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                TuscoTodd commented
                Editing a comment
                LOL! Thank you sir!

Neat Todd.
              Matt B
              So. In
              Crashers

Comment

Amazing work Todd, especially the Ohio Roll scheme, that was a stunning job!
                Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                  TuscoTodd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Mike!

Very nice work. I have dismal memories of trying to paint lexan bodies from the inside decades ago. There's no margin for error. You're a master.

I'd like to hear more about the vinyl cutter and how it's used.

Comment

Thank you for the kind words gents - I appreciate it! I have been happy with how they have turned out!

Originally posted by Bill from NH View Post
                  Nice paint Todd! Were they painted with acrylics or solvent-based paint? Having the vinyl cutter really adds to a professional look! Do you recall which company pulled the Charger bodies? I look forward to seeing more of your sharp looking paint jobs in the future.
                  Bill - All of these are done with water based acrylics sprayed from a Harbor Freight Deluxe air brush https://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe...kit-95810.html
                  I get the paint typically from either Michael's or JoAnn Frabrics, mix it with water until it is the consistency of watery milk and then apply in light coats (where surface looks damp) dried with a hair drier between coats - makes for super easy clean up and I can paint no matter what the humidity or temperature.
                  After I saw what one of the other racers was doing with one and watched some youtube tutorials, I had to get one as not only can it make much more intricate masks than I have the patience to do cutting tape or vinyl on the back of a corelle plate - if I screw up a mask applying it, or want to paint up another body with the same masks at a later date, it is just a matter of calling up the file and sending it to the cutter. (want to make the same livery with a different number, easy change and cut, etc!)
                  The bodies are actually made by the owner of Mark's Model World. He is kind of old school, in that he doesn't does do internet sales - but he is more than happy to take orders over the phone as he makes a number of custom bodies and has shipped them all over the country and into Canada. One of those bodies is the new WOMP MG Midget - I will be posting details on my latest one of those to hit the paint booth in the coming days.
                  His contact number at the shop is (330) 588-2167 with hours of 3pm - 9pm week days Tues- Fri (closed Mondays) and 11am to 6pm weekends (both Sat/Sun)
                  More paint jobs to come!

Last edited by TuscoTodd; December 29, 2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Bill from NH
                    Bill from NH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've about 35 yrs. experience with some of the solvent-based paints, but converted to all acrylics about 2005. Other than their low odor & easy cleanup, the biggie for me that I can airbrush acrylics all year long down cellar near my furnace. I had to spray the solvent-based paints outdoors, which meant I didn't paint in the wintertime. I like shopping at various stores for the hobby craft acrylics like you mention. I use a "scratch test" on new paints. I brush paint a sample on a scrap of plastic, let it dry for 24 hrs., then scratch it with a wooden toothpick. Only 2 or 3 brands have scratched off easily. Some stick to plastic like a gorilla. I notice on YouTube there are model car kit builders who successfully use craft acrylics too.

Originally posted by slothead View Post
                  Very nice work. I have dismal memories of trying to paint lexan bodies from the inside decades ago. There's no margin for error. You're a master.

I'd like to hear more about the vinyl cutter and how it's used.
                  Thank you for the kind words!
                  I'll work to try to put together a bit of a overview to share with everyone - but I find it to be a VERY handy tool and the software that comes with the Silhouette Cameo is fairly intuitive and easy to use. I have used it primarily to make paint masks for painting on the inside of lexan - but you can also use it to make masks for painting hard bodies, or to make permanent stick on vinyl decals as well.
                  I find it to be a VERY welcome new tool!

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                    TuscoTodd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Slothead - yes - it is a less expensive option to the Cricut and I really like the software that come with it.

• slothead
                    slothead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks. I thought about getting a Cricut for cutting out dirt modified body panels from thick photo paper. You may sell me on the Silhoutte Cameo.

• TuscoTodd
                    TuscoTodd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, the Silhoutte Cameo can also cut heavier stock - I haven't used mine for that, but according to the info on the Cameo 4 I have, it can cut up to 3mm thick stock!

They all look great! Nice work.

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                    TuscoTodd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you sir!

Killer cars!!!!!

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                    TuscoTodd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you sir!

Name:	P1010011.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	71937 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	71938 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	71939 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	71940 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010014.JPG
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	71941 We used to run hard body stock cars, but we went broke buying glue to repair them. We thought we would try "big cars" again, using vac bodies and typical 1960's simple slot car design. During the shutdown, I am painting and building a few. The guys will either buy a car or a body when we start racing again. These beaters are Pattos. I also have some big cars coming from another guy in Oz. He is making a 60's Ford, Charger and Impala. They are not great, but will work for tear 'em up racing like we do. I do these pretty quick and use nothing but Model car lacquer. The Garvic Xtreme is one I did take a little time with. The Javelin is for our Trans Am racing.
                  Attached Files
                  Matt B
                  So. In
                  Crashers

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                    TuscoTodd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Definitely a cool group of bodies (really like the '55's!) that ready to mix it up!
                    Also dig the vintage vibe of that Garvic Xtreme!
                    Very cool!
                Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1