Tamiya white question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamiya white question

I’m building a BMW M6 GT3 with the Turner white LiquiMoly livery.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1011AD00-C17C-4F92-800A-72415B580428.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	136774
    I use Tamiya TS ratttle cans and was looking at their whites. Is there any advantage to using a white color coat over the white primer vs. just clear coating it? Especially with the amount of coverage from the decals. Also, their TS7 Racing White looks creamy off-white on the online color charts. Was this made for a Chaparral 2F model as the 1:1 car sometimes raced in a ivory color if I remember correctly.
    Mike V.
    Western North Carolina

Hi Mike, Tamiya TS7 (Racing White) was formulated for the Tamiya 1965 Honda RA272 F1 car static kit...............Tamiya TS26 "Pure White" is much more accurate for any Chaparral.

I believe that painting always results in a better finish, than applying the decals to the unpainted factory white plastic body.........and, FYI, all Tamiya TS paints, are perfectly fine when applied to styrene , without using a primer.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

• Mickey thumbs
      Mickey thumbs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I have always thought of them as more the pure white but I think some of the old color photos of the 1967 Brands Hatch winning #1 car looked a bit off years later. Probably due to aging.

Didn’t know you could skip the primer on white kits with Tamiya TS lacquers. Great to be able to eliminate a step!

I have used the primer with clear and it worked fine
    Courtney Smith
    Chattanooga TN

Comment

• Mickey thumbs
      Mickey thumbs commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to hear as I have the primer and clear already and would have to order the white.

Mike, Decals adhere to "gloss" smooth surfaces much better than they do over a "flat" primer..............if for some reason you are against using Tamiya gloss white as your base coat, I would seriously consider applying a coat of clear gloss over the primer before applying the decals, and then re coat with clear.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

• Mickey thumbs
      Mickey thumbs commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I thought. I’ll probably be patient and order some gloss white as I’ll need it for other uses in the future. Now that I know I don’t need to use the primer first, it makes sense to just use the white paint.

Mike, Patience is a virtue !!!!

While primer is highly (very) recommended when trying to change colours,.....eg. applying white over a yellow, red etc. body, when applying the same colour topcoat over the same colour body,...eg,....red paint over a red body, primer is not necessary, particularly with Tamiya (or other brands) that are formulated for use with styrene.

The exception to this is if you have used body putty on the body, which is a different colour.........the primer will then make everything a uniform colour for your topcoat colour.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

They do make colored primers also, so you can get a red primer, fyi...

Comment

As a very long time (20+ years at least) of Tamiya spray paints, here are some tips:

Tamiya TS colors are, for the most part, Transparent. They need a base coat. What makes their paint so "good" is that fact. Over the years this has been a complaint by those experienced with painting over bare plastic, so the finally developed a "Fine" primer that doesn't really need to be sanded before giving you a beautiful finish (but it sure helps!). Another thing they brought out a year or so ago is the "Base White", TS-101. It isn't a primer and it isn't transparent but actually has a pigment content like their AS Spray can line. For years I used AS-20 Insignia white as a base for the TS whites. The "Matt White", TS-27 is just as transparent as their Pure White and Racing white, so that didn't work. Tamiya TS and AS spray paints are lacquers, so that are not always plastic friendly. They can cause plastic to warp, craze, and even dissolve. Another reason to use Primer. Think of it as insurance.

As a side note, Chaparrals were painted a Chevy Fleet color called "Ermine" a.k.a "Ermine White". Think of it as the Bow Tie Brigade's equivalent to "Wimbledon White" that FoMoCo used. I got tired of the endless arguments about if it was more ivory or a pure white. Buy some and see for yourself.
        I get paid to build models, race slot cars, and travel to museums.

Comment

Working...
        X
        UA-149438709-1