57 Plymouth - Suddenly Its 1960 - Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Plymouth - Suddenly Its 1960 - Finished

Hi guys, If you saw my other build thread for Christine Im building there is talk of the Hot Rod Magazine Suddenly Its 1960, 1957 Plymouth Savoy. Yes its a little confusing, its a 1957 Plymouth. Plymouths slogan for 57 was Suddenly Its 1960 as they thought the car was 3 years ahead of its time. For the 8th Annual Nascar Speed-a-thon which spanned over 14 days, it included an Experimental class for the flying mile on Daytona Beach. They clocked the run down the beach at 166mph. Totally insane! Later they took Suddenly 60 to Bonneville Salt Flats & ran 188mph. They blew the motor up after the 188mph run. Suddenly 60 then became a daily driver & the rest is history. I don't know if anyone reads all this stuff but I like to include some back history on cars.

If you want to read more about the car there is some info here - https://www.hotrod.com/articles/4261...lymouth-savoy/& here - https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1957...e-wally-parks/

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=77741&d=1611674487.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.0 KB ID:	77837

Click image for larger version  Name:	019-HRM-1957-PLYMOUTH-BONNEVILLE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	77838

So onto the build. Ive got all the parts needed to finish the car. I started with the AMT 1958 Plymouth 1/25 kit. I back dated the body to a 1957 by removing all the side trim & making my own out of styrene. I have modified the grille area to accept a Johan 1957 Grille & bumpers. Next up to Spray some L code 1957 Plymouth Canary Yellow paint by Scale Finishes. I will keep you posted as I progress.

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_1456.JPGViews:	0Size:	3.34 MBID:	77840

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_1457.JPGViews:	0Size:	2.41 MBID:	77841

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_1458.JPGViews:	0Size:	1.96 MBID:	77842
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mopargreg; June 13, 2021, 06:41 AM.

Very cool!
    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
    Facebook-
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
    YouTube-
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Nice project. I assume that it was geared so low it needed a push car to get it started.
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

If only kits like that were made in 1:32 scale! Do I need any more cars or projects? No, but I p[probably couldn't resist. Wouldn't a field of 57's be great? Chevy, Ford, Plymouth, etc.

I think I'd even allow a few 56's in - a shoebox Chevy would be first in line.

Comment

Yes, this will be cool!

Comment

Yes sir, very nice project and history. Look forward to the build.
            -Harry

Comment

Niiiiice...will keep an eye on this one!!
              TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
              Warren, Ohio

Comment

Wow! That's going to be sharp!
                Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...gends-bullring

Comment

That's what we call "Directionally Correct"!
                  Mark

Comment

I think this is close to a near perfect subject for a slot car - and an important part of history coming at the end of the Flying Mile Daytona Beach speed trials era.

Great that you could source the Jo-Han 1957 grille casting, and the 'Hot Rod Magazine Special' decals.

I didn't realize you were in Australia - I just figured the board's foremost 'Forward Look' expert and builder would have been stateside!

When the Exner-era cars came out, it flipped out the competition and sent everyone scrambling to get lower, wider, and sleeker. Yes it was 1957, but suddenly it was 1960!

Exner was a really influential stylist, and in addition to the 1955 and up Exner-era Mopars, I especially admired his *Revival Series* sketches from around 1963. I actually think those sketches influenced another whole styling movement - I think the Revival cars influenced later GM cars like the Grand Prix, Eldorado, and Lincoln Marks, in the same way something like the 1957 Imperial influenced the 1959 Cadillacs and Pontiacs.

Renwall also famously offered the *Revival Series* in kit form. I even have a Renwall "Mercer-Cobra" factory slot car that could use some restoration - yes, it is on the list somewhere, as it would make a great build.

Anyway I am digressing - I will be following this build!

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

Thought I should update this one. I’ve had quite a setback which is why it’s taken so long. The first set of decals were way to large. Second set way to small. Third set just right. Each time the decals coming from the US to Australia. I have everything I need now so on with the show.

Just now I got the chassis under the body. I’ve included a photo of the underside so those interested can see how I do my posts. I sometimes brace the posts as well. Just depends what car it is & how heavy the body is.

Next up to sort out the interior, finish some small chrome work, install bumpers & glass. Ive included a quick photo of the work desk. It’s pretty clean considering I’m working on 2 cars at once. I hope to finish it up in about a week. Thanks for looking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F6853170-1BBF-497E-9662-ED8CE1467F29.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	102822

Name:	78FE7043-5141-461C-83A1-E98C44B14B9F.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	4.40 MB
ID:	102823

Name:	9471D6AC-EFBA-40C5-AAE0-8DD5DAB4BFD3.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	5.04 MB
ID:	102824
                      Attached Files

Comment

Coming together great - real spin aluminum disks - a very good subject !

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

All GREAT builds run on their own unique time lines, from what I am seeing well worth the wait!!

Dundee Denny

Comment

Very Nice

Comment

Just what I expect from you, Greg. Really fine work, and great sourcing- I bet half of the UFO's (Un-Finished Objects), in the slot car universe are sitting waiting for bits and pieces that were harder to find than someone thought when they started.

Did you make the Moon covers by spinning a piece of aluminum (aluminium), in a drill? I once did some, much smaller, by using a drill with a wire brush cup on aluminum sheet. Hardest part was cutting them out smooth and round. That's when I figured out that putting the disk in a drill allowed me to get the round in sync with brushed finish. I always start wrong it seems.

Comment

• mopargreg
                                mopargreg commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Rob, Ha UFO's. I spent 2019 & 2020 finishing off all my UFO's. They haunted me for years. It was a great feeling & I swore to myself I wouldn't start more than 2 at a time.
                            Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1