Waste plastic packaging headlight lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waste plastic packaging headlight lenses

The headlight lenses in my Scalextric Cortina went awol so in wondering what to replace them with, I came up with this solution. It's new to me but may be old hat.
    I heated the plastic packaging against a 70w incandescent lightbulb until soft (it will stick to the bulb as it heats but peels off easy enough) and then pushed it over the blunt end of a 4.8mm drill bit that I had ground slightly rounded. The next interesting part was to cut them down to fit in the headlight bezels in the car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6014.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	34141

The 1st one glued in place with instant UV glue although both are finished now. The cutting bit takes the longest as it's the fiddliest.
    It's a lot easier than it sounds so definitely worth a try if you have missing lenses.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF6015.JPG Views:	0 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	34142
    Last edited by Wobble; April 26, 2020, 04:50 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar

They look very realistic.

Comment

Very nice.
      Dave
      Saginaw Valley Raceway
      Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Great idea, and great result !!

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Comment

I’m going to use that idea. It’s annoying losing a headlight. Thanks for this

Comment

Great way to replace a headlamp lens. Thank you!
            Scott
            Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Awesome idea!

Comment

Thanks guys. It's good to see someone can make use of it.

Comment

Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1