What flat stock to use for interiors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What flat stock to use for interiors?

I'm working on a 60s TB (AMT body) and have the interior to do next. I haven't made one before and wondered what materials, mounting and glue people use. I'm thinking of using styrene or cardboard for the base. Will make some roll bars from styrene (found a post by a member here about making them).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by code; July 24, 2022, 01:21 AM.
    Mike
    Oz

Index card painted black or clear lexan that may have been included to hold down that new 1/32 slot it or sideways purchase. I’d recommend tape vs. glue assuming 1/24 cars need a little flex.
    The Jester
    of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
    the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

Playing cards makes a good base. Paint it with model car spray paint. Just don't use the joker
      Arrold Martin
      Nashville TN

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	168229 Styrene if weight is not an issue.

Name:	IMG_0509.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	168230 Playing card for a lighter option.

Name:	IMG_0510.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	168231 A certain amount of origami is required.
        I attach both types to the body with hot glue.
        Attached Files

Comment

• code
          code commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, nice work.

It is hard to beat styrene sheet/tube for making interiors.......styrene sheet/tube/rod/shapes, come in various weights and diameters, so you have the options of going as light, or as sturdy as you wish......the thin sheets of styrene are lighter than playing cards.

As far as glue, regular styrene model cement is great, or, try some styrene weld,...even better.

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Comment

• code
          code commented
          Editing a comment
          Great, thanks for that.

................010 styrene sheet........almost any kind of glue will do.
        Dave J
        Millstadt, Illinois

Comment

• code
          code commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Dave, I just did a drawer search and managed to find black .010" styrene that I put away some time ago.

When we first started doing modifieds, Harry showed us the playing card trick. He didn't paint the underside so he could show us. OMG! How long ago was that? HRW is becoming an archive of original ideas.

Comment

Another good source of sheet plastic is the "Help Wanted" & "For Rent" signs sold in various department stores, home centers. & other shops.

Comment

Big thanks all for the range of options. I'll go with the .010" styrene on this one since I managed to find a couple of sheets here.
            Last edited by code; July 24, 2022, 09:36 PM.
            Mike
            Oz

Comment

Working...
            X
            UA-149438709-1