making your own waterslide decals - templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making your own waterslide decals - templates

I am trying to make my own decals for 32 scale. Have followed advise but still look pixelated. I have taken down to a print shop and it only looked slightly better than my home printer.

I have used big images and small images, shrunk them down with no luck.

I used Irfanview, couldn't get ms word to paste. Just downloaded GIMP but looks complicated. I liked Irfanview as it was basic.

Has anyone got any templates I could use please ? Any other tips ? thanks
    Attached Files

Hi! If you're using a Windows PC, you can download Paint.NET or just use the "Paint" program that came with Windows. MS Word is not a good choice for graphics. To get the best results possible on a Laser printer, you want to go with 600 pixels/inch. For an inkjet printer, 300 pixels/inch is about the best you're going to do. If you're shrinking down logos you found online, keep in mind that most web images are a maximum of 120 pixels per inch unless they're specially marked by the website as "high resolution". To get 'em to 600 pixels/in you're going to have to make sure they're 5 times smaller in your graphics editing program. - Depending on the size of the original, that's not that hard.

You can message me if you want help.

Comment

You will get better results if you save your graphics as .tiffs, rather than as .jpgs. I often use PowerPoint to create my graphics and save them as .tiffs for printing.

Comment

• RexCadral
        RexCadral commented
        Editing a comment
        Or PNG <-- This is a more modern common format for "lossless" images.

Over the years I've downloaded a bunch of logos and images I might want to use for decals sometime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yosemite_Sam Back Off2 crop.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	155035 Thought this would look good on the trunk of a Legend or Jalopy.

Last year I found a website where you could select a font and color formats to create banners or whatever. Now I can't remember what it was. Any suggestions?

Name:	BIZS V1 crop.png
Views:	335
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	155036

Depending on the intended use, I can try things like this on decal paper or stick on vinyl.

Comment

I'm getting some decals printed to build this car. Where do you builder get Micro Set and Micro Sol? They're out of stock at Tamiya where I was going to order the Mica Red paint.

Name:	charlieroberts77.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	155682

Comment

• WB2
          WB2 commented
          Editing a comment
          In stock at Walthers. Any hobby shop should be able to get it.

Thanks for the feedback and replies, I don't come on here much (working with a young family) but i will have another go with your tips and let you know how i go.....

Comment

You can get Microset and Microsol via Amazon.

Comment

I always try to support local shops first, when I need decal supplies.
            Last edited by REL13; April 25, 2022, 09:38 AM.
            Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
            Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

I thought the sainted old guy who invented and sold both products died a few years ago. He was a legend in model train circles. I bought six of each as soon as I heard it was not going to be available anymore. I'm glad somebody is still making the stuff.

Comment

Recently I discovered that things print better directly from PowerPoint, rather than from a presentation that has been saved as a jpeg or tiff. It is also better to re-size things using your printer software.

Comment

• Mickey thumbs
                  Mickey thumbs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have always printed directly from Keynote, Apple’s free version of Power Point because I didn’t know any better. Easy to adjust size of image, select font and type size, color and bold/italic etc. when creating the slide.
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1