Build help/suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build help/suggestions

So I wanted to build a SW chassis for a Corvette kit I've had for too long. SW to show more interior than just a card with driver.
    Here's my dilemma. My motor pinion is about 2-3 mm away from my gear. And my motor is tight to my axle tubing. See pictures.
    Any suggestions?

​ ​​​​​​​
    Scott C.
    Amherst, WI
    Just "a simple kind of man".

No pic showing are you running 19mm or 18 mm spur gears?
    Last edited by docdoom; February 18, 2022, 01:38 PM.
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• Zippideedooda
      Zippideedooda commented
      Editing a comment
      17.5 mm NSR gear. Strange butt I can see my pictures?

What size is the pinion. If you're using a 17.5 spur, you may need to use a 7.5mm pinion.

And I don't see any pic either...
    Dickie Pearson
    Canterbury, NH

HOST - Home Operated Slot Tracks
    MSR - Main Street Racing

Comment

Without a pic. it hard to be certain, but, if as you say, your spur is 2 to 3 mm from the center of your motor shaft, you will need a 5.5 pinion.

Again, a pic is necessary.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Comment

Sorry everyone about the pictures. I don't know why your not able to view them.??? I'm seeing them in my post.
        May have something to do with how I uploaded them. My new phone (Samsung Galaxy S20), won't post pictures from it, error message about size exceeding maximum, so I used my older phone to post my question and photos. I can view them just fine. I an not techie enough to understand what is going on or how to correct it.
        Scott C.
        Amherst, WI

Comment

Maybe we can get there without a pic.,.......if you have used an existing motor pod (Slot-it/NSR/Scaleauto etc.),......appropriate diameters of both pinions and spurs are easy to mention................so,.........have you used an existing plastic motor pod, or have you scratchbuilt a chassis ??

Cheers
          Chris Walker

Comment

I scratchbuilt the chassis, and am using a brass motor mount that I cut the axle brackets off of. I want to solder the mounting plate to the siderail of my chassis, but the motor body hits my rear axle tube before the pinion makes contact with my gear.
            The gear is 17.5mm and my rear tires are 19mm. So the gear barely clears the track with the tires on.
            Scott C.
            Amherst, WI

Comment

I just logged on to HRW Forums on my home computer, and all three pictures are there. Are they still not visible to you guys?
              Scott C.
              Amherst, WI

Comment

• chrisguyw
                chrisguyw commented
                Editing a comment
                not visible !!

I will try again to post them tomorrow. I have to leave for the evening.
              Scott C.
              Amherst, WI

Comment

Scott, What diameter axle tube have you used, and have you notched it ???.......without notching the axle tube it is almost impossible to get the motor far enough back in the chassis without using very (very ) large dia. pinions/spurs.

A couple of attached pics. showing the "notched" axle tube......

Cheers
                Chris Walker

PS........always install both your pinion and Spur on the axle, and check the engagement of the gears before any soldering.

On the following chassis I have used a "square" axle tube and it has been "notched" to allow the motor case to be moved towars the back of the chassis and clear the axle.
                This chassis uses a 6.5mm pinion and an 18mm spur.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-91-copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.1 KB ID:	150477

This is an NSR plastic chassis that has been fitted with an axle tube. Like the chassis above, the tube had to be notched.
                This chassis uses a 6.75 mm pinion, and a 16.5mm spur

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN4391.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.0 KB ID:	150478

Another scratchbuilt chassis showing the "notched " axle tube

Click image for larger version  Name:	post-11-0-78148000-1363534615-copy-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.9 KB ID:	150479
                Last edited by chrisguyw; February 18, 2022, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Bill from NH
                  Bill from NH commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The last brass chassis is a Tony P. ISO build. He started building them about 1973. His first ones used a front axle tube, the ones with a solid front axle came later.

How about emailing the picture to somebody who can post it? You can PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Comment

Scott C.
                  Amherst, WI

Comment

• chrisguyw
                    chrisguyw commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You need to "notch" the rear axle tube......(examples in prior posts), and, it looks like the pinion in the pic. is 5.5mm ??,......if so, you will need to change it to a 6.5mm pinion.
                    Last edited by chrisguyw; February 19, 2022, 08:43 AM.

Well I think I have the pictures now. They look blury, but if you click on them they are in focus.

Chris, I see what you mean about the notched axle tube. I was planning on cutting the tube away but didn't think of notching it.
                  I also now realize that my pinion gear is only 5.5mm and needs to be 6.5mm.
                  Thanks to all for the suggestions and photos. I'll make changes & update you on progress.
                  Scott C.
                  Amherst, WI

Comment

I used the ThunderSlot 3 degree offset trick.

Comment

I am not familiar with that. Can you show me an example Sir?
                      Scott C.
                      Amherst, WI

Comment

• docdoom
                        docdoom commented
                        Editing a comment
                        instead of the motor being square with the axile it at slight angle instead. pinon angled in and the other end of the can angled out the cg motors pods do the same thing.

• PetesLightKits
                        PetesLightKits commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Look at Post #10, the car in the middle picture with the red pod - that is actually setup with a very shallow amount of angle.
                    Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1