1969 Dodge Superbee A12 - Finished!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Dodge Superbee A12 - Finished!

Hi guys, I thought I had started a thread for this one. I wanted to build the sister car to the Plymouth Road Runner A12 that I built last year. The 1969 Dodge Superbee with A12 package.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2308.JPG Views:	101 Size:	46.5 KB ID:	102917

I started off with a 1/25 resin cast of a MPC 1969 Dodge Coronet. I converted it to a Superbee by changing out the rear panel & removed the scripts. Also swapped to a 6 Pack hood. Paint is Hemi Orange by Scalefinishes, decals by Keith marks. Chassis is MJK sidewinder, motor H&R Hawk, wheels are modified MJK with Fireball inserts & tires. I hope to finish it up within the week. Once done Ill share some more photos including the underside chassis etc.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2303.JPG Views:	89 Size:	4.16 MB ID:	102919

Attached Files
    Last edited by mopargreg; June 21, 2021, 07:05 AM.

Looking good!

Comment

When I was working several part time jobs all at once and going to undergrad college, one of the guys in a similar situation as me was doing the same thing, but he had one full time job and two part time jobs. He was saving to buy a 1969 SuperBee. He made it, living with his father, and within 6 months of getting delivery of his custom-ordered car (gold with black accents, black interior, no A/C, no radio, no nothing- 4 speed Hemi), then he was drafted. He made it home alive. When he got home he found his rotten father had sold the car soon after he went overseas (Vietnam), by forgery, since he and his son had the same name. He came to live with me for a year, recovered with amazing strength, and moved away to the Pacific Northwest. We lost touch about a year later, and he was building wooden boats in an historic shipyard and married to a wonderful girl who loved him and the boats.

I have to tell his story when something comes up that is related. The point is, it takes a lot to get past betrayal, combat, and make a new, better life. Has to be said.

Comment

• mopargreg
        mopargreg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the story Rob. I could only imagine the feeling of driving one of these off the new car lot in 1969. Im glad your friend ended up in a good place when he returned. A lot were not so lucky.

Absolutely remember the Roadrunner 440 six pack build -

These mopar builds are all just done really well.

Great to see cars built to scale - scale wheels and tires and everything!

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

• mopargreg
        mopargreg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thankyou so much for all your great comments in all the cars I share. It really means a lot. I sometimes wonder how much people people want to see these cars as they are not 1/32, or store bought or have racing numbers. Ill keep doing what Im doing. I actually have a few non-mopars with numbers Ill be sharing soon once I finish these.
        Last edited by mopargreg; June 14, 2021, 05:42 AM.

• TuscoTodd
        TuscoTodd commented
        Editing a comment
        DEFINITELY keep them coming!!!

Looking really nice Greg!

Comment

This old Mopar is finished. 1969 Dodge Superbee with A12 package. The only thing I need to finish off is the interior, which is taped in for now. I used to hot glue the interior in but it's to hard to remove if ever you need to. I've just ordered some small magnets. So Im going to try using magnets to install interiors from now. Also will need to add some licence number plates as well. This was a fun car to build. Onto some early late 60s early 70s Nascars next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2377.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	104285

Name:	IMG_2380.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	104286

Name:	IMG_2381.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	104287

Name:	IMG_2387.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	104289

Name:	IMG_2389.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	104290

Name:	IMG_2408.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	4.51 MB
ID:	104291

Here's the Dodge with its sister A12 Package Plymouth Road Runner that I finished earlier this year. Thanks for looking, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Cheers Greg

Name:	IMG_2393.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	104292
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks good Greg!
          Dave
          Saginaw Valley Raceway
          Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Again outstanding work - SO many nice touches.

Look at those 'freestanding' door handles, they look functional!

The redlines and steel wheels with lugs, and the driver figure, all very realistic. Where do you source the drivers?

Also what are you using for the hood pins?

I like these kind of builds, and I don't know if they are as popular as they should be.

I think at the heart of the hobby there is an element of scale modeling - the moment when a kid looks at model car and thinks wouldn't t be great if I could actually drive this around? Or when a kid sees one of those perfect model train layouts with the scenery and bridges and rocks, and thinks - this would be a lot cooler of I could drive cars around on it.

I think these builds really benefit from the scale appearing wheels and tires and various touches - often a sticking point when making slot cars.

Keep building - these are great.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

• mopargreg
              mopargreg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thankyou once again for your wonderful comments my friend. I enjoy building slotcars as a my release. It’s my downtime away from running a business & running around after the kids. I would love to spend more time on the bench but I take what I can get. On average I build about 4 cars a year. Overall they don’t take that long to make. I have the process down these days.

I feel that the cars I build are somewhere between a Slotcar & model car. Occasionally I share a car on the modeling groups & often don’t mention it’s a slotcar. All cars I build are driven on the track. I’m not overly to worried if I break them as I can repair them or rebuild another one. With the small size of my track & the 18k motors the speed is slower so damage is less likely.

The door handles are from Fireball Modelworks. I ground off the original handles & glued these new ones on. I was a bit worried about them coming off on a rollover but they are glued on well.

Driver figure is from Immense Miniatures. They are by far the best figures on the market. Also figures from SELTD resin are excellent as well.

Hood pins are from Model Car Garage. Photoetch that I glue on with canopy glue.

Both so easy on the eye. Good ... no, Great job.
            Bram,
            CHCH NZ

Comment

Thanks guys much appreciated. Thanks for your comments.

Comment

Always jealous that you 1/25 builders have so many more places to start on the scratch builds!!!

Both versions get two thumbs up!!!!

Dundee Denny

Comment

• mopargreg
                  mopargreg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Denny. I used to build 1/32 many years ago. I switched to 1/25 due to so many more choices in model kits. Endless possibilities.

My brother had a 69 440 Six Pack 4 speed SuperBee. Man what a car.
                Arrold Martin
                Nashville TN

Comment

Nice work!! My oldest brother had an orange 440 Six Pack exactly like that in '69 - except he paid extra for the five-spoke Magnum 500-style wheels and had white-letter Goodyear Polyglas tires (of course he did - he worked for Goodyear here in Akron).

One night at a local bar, he was playing in a band and came out at the end of the night to find that someone had loaded it onto a flatbed truck and made off with it...

Comment

AWWWWWWESOME...GREAT WORK MPG...really sharp!!
                    TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
                    Warren, Ohio

Comment

Yessir! Awesome!!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1