Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage 1/24
    replied
    Wanted to follow up - great job on this rare Jo-Han *one-year-only* 1970 Javelin!

I will be faced with doing a couple 1/25 AMT model kit conversions soon – more for scale model racing rather than real competition, and I think your sidewinder approach is something that makes sense - It will leave lots of room for model car interior goodness.

Again, great job , I really like these Jo-Han rare subjects!

Leave a comment:

• vtecfour
    replied
    Re-geared with 9t pinion and 37t spur gears for a 4.1:1 gear ratio. Much better acceleration as recommended.

Stiffened the side pans reducing flex and got better cornering too.

Lessons learned on every project that yield improvement are a good thing.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• noddaz
    replied
    Nice job on the AMC! It looks ready to race! The Blue/White/Red is so eye catching. That just make me want to stare. (But not in a creepy way.)

Scott

Leave a comment:

• chrisguyw
    replied
    That looks great Dan , one of your best yet ..................If you are planning on keeping that motor installed, I would seriously (very seriously) consider replacing the 10T pinion with a 9T, or better yet, an 8T..................tall tires + 170gms + low torque /higher RPM motor = high numeric ratio........the car will love it

Cheers
    Chris Walker
    Last edited by chrisguyw; October 29, 2020, 10:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brad_T
    replied
    Looks fantastic, great job!

Leave a comment:

• vtecfour
    replied
    Chassis's done with added flexi sidepans. Power's from a Scale Auto 30K red S can with a 3.6:1 gear ratio using Avant Slot 10t, 5.5mm steel pinion and Scalextric Sport 36t, 19mm spur gears.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8286.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	60907

Name:	IMG-8285.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	60908

Name:	IMG-8284.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	60909

Body tri-post mounted, one front and two sides.

Name:	IMG-8278.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	60910

Body stance is good.

Name:	IMG-8283.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	60911

Name:	IMG-8281.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	60912

Name:	IMG-8280.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	60913

Name:	IMG-8277.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	60914

Kit's wheels were cut down, sprayed Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf and inserted with glue. Side mirrors and exhaust pipes may come later.

Runs planted in the corners with moderate straight line speed. Came in at a hefty 169 grams, a lot more than my usual small 1/25 scale builds like my Lotus 11 at 98 grams.

Pleased to see it running on the track.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• vtecfour
    replied
    Rims arrived, so soldered on the front axle carrier components, checked wheel base and mounted Paul Gage tires.

Name:	IMG-8271.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	60688

All tires touched simultaneously so chassis looks to be flat and square.

Mocked on the body.

Name:	IMG-8267.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	60689

Name:	IMG-8268.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	60690

Name:	IMG-8269.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	60691

Name:	IMG-8270.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	60692

Stance will be close to this. Rear tires are tight, so a bit of tire profiling is ahead.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Vintage 1/24
    replied
    That side-winder set up really gives you a lot of interior room - great for a model conversion - allowing for the full dash and extra cage detail; nicer than the classic 'flat card" approach.

Leave a comment:

• vtecfour
    replied
    Pretty sure the interior tray's going to foul all over the eventual chassis, so cut the floor out and removed a bunch of the rear wheel tub detail. At least the instrument dash/steering wheel and roll bar were saved. Also allows me to install a driver figure more easily later on.

Name:	IMG-8266.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	60091

Dan

Leave a comment:

• mattb
    replied
    Great workmanship.

Leave a comment:

• dge467
    replied
    Looking great!

Leave a comment:

• vtecfour
    replied
    Backwards in my usual build process with the cosmetics being done before the chassis completion. Still waiting on those BRM Trans Am rims.

Did more paint detailing and installing of parts. Test fitted the interior tray.

Name:	IMG-8260.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	59997

Name:	IMG-8261.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	59998

Name:	IMG-8263.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	59999

Name:	IMG-8264.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	60000

Name:	IMG-8265.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	60001

Might have to remove the interior tray's floor area to get the chassis side pans flush with the body sills.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Vintage 1/24
    replied
    If you search up "1970 Javelin Trans Am" images you will see what I mean. Race cars change a lot; even from race to race.

Sometimes they would put a 1970 nose on an existing 1969 race car – sometimes they crunch a fender – so all that stuff happens, and it becomes hard to lock down definitive decal images and placement.

But generally all of the Javelin Tarns Am cars used the white lettering (like that current '71 Scalextric car).

But being faithful to the history of the original Jo-Han issue is cool in its own way - It has its own scale model history right there - original decals!

Just wanted to offer – I enjoy your builds and posts.

Leave a comment:

• vtecfour
    replied
    @ Vintage 1/24 - Thanks much for the offer but I can live with the original decal. Interesting that you've indicated red as the outline color. Didn't notice on any of the online images that is so. Did Jo-Han get it wrong and transpose the colors way back when?

Thanks.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Vintage 1/24
    replied
    I can make you up a new set of the SUNOCO Javelin decals if you would like . . .

I think the 1970 Donohue Trans Am race car had the lettering reversed from what you show, that is, I think it would be white with some red outline – very much like the decals on the recent 1971 Donohue coke-bottle fendered Javelin Scalextric offering.

Let me know –

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
UA-149438709-1