Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Plymouth Kustom - Larry Watson painted

Hi all,
    Just thought I would share a car I finished a while ago. This was a stalled project I started in 2017 & finished a few months ago. A 1957 Plymouth painted by Larry Watson. For those that don't know Larry Watson, he was a custom painter back in the day who had his own unique style. From what I understand this car was painted in 1958. Im a fan of Larry's work, also a fan of Forward Look finned mopars so this was a no brainer. Usually I prefer Forward Look Mopars to be plain stock like the day they rolled off the production line. But Ive always really loved this car as I feel the Kustom paint on this really helps accentuate the body lines & moldings of the 57 Plymouth. It was my first time painting a car with this type of paint work so I was a little nervous but Im happy with the results.

Heres the real Watson 57 Plymouth -

Click image for larger version  Name:	ryHolloway1957PlymouthPotter04-vi.jpg Views:	0 Size:	315.1 KB ID:	10476

Click image for larger version  Name:	WatsonGroupPhotosPotter16-vi.jpg Views:	0 Size:	490.4 KB ID:	10478

Here's my finished car. It is 1/25 scale. Modelhaus resin body with AMT 58 Plymouth parts, MJK sidewinder chassis, H&R Hawk motor, H&R narrowed wheels, my own urethane cast whitewall tires. I need to finish a few things off still, license plate front & rear, attach the window wiper (only had 1 in my AMT kit so waiting until I get the 2nd) & attach the guide. The 3rd photo has a big dog hair on it, not taking anymore photos

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC06426.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	10479

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC06443.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	10481

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC06434.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	10483

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC06442.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	10485

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC06450.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	10488

Thanks for looking . Ive got some more cars to share over the next 3 weeks. All stalled projects that Ive got around to finishing or nearly completed. Including some cars with numbers for a change. Greg

Attached Files
    Last edited by mopargreg; December 4, 2019, 06:38 PM.

Wow that’s a really nice car I don’t think I would drive it too hard but seeing something like that lapping the track would definitely put a smile on your face!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I run all my cars on my home track & this is no exception. Don't really race them but run them hard enough they can deslot. My track is only small so the straights are short & with the 18K motor & set at 10V so if the cars come off its very rare to get any damage.

Comment

Really dig this, great job...

And Larry Watson was a master painter...!!!

Comment

Thanks Lee, Yes I agree, Larry Watson was the man!

Comment

Wow.You really captured that 50s vibe.

Comment

Great job with crisp paint lines. Good work capturing the feel.
              Dave
              Dave
              Saginaw Valley Raceway
              Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Yes, very nice. That really does accentuate the body lines. I like the color combination too.
                What kind and color of paint is the green?
                Randy

Comment

WOW!!!

Comment

-Harry

Comment

Very cool ride.

Zack

Comment

Your paint choices really compliment the cars lines!!

look forward to learning what colors and from what vendor too!

good motivation for a 60 Plymouth Fury that will be going from a Perry NASCAR to a street rod conversation what is teed up next here in Dundee

enjoy the cruising!!!

Dundee Denny

Comment

That's really nice.

Nice going.

Dan

Comment

That's quite a build. Only question I have is where's the mirror for the drivers left hand? This one sure brought back some memories from childhood.

Comment

Hi guys. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. To answer a few questions.

I used Testors Model Master paints sprayed straight out of the Aerosol cans with Tamiya Gloss Clear sprayed over the top. The yellow is Phoenician Yellow & the green is Citrus Yellow Metallic even though its green not yellow. Maybe Im color blind?

When Larry Watson built the 1:1 in 1958 he didn't have any side mirrors on either side of the car. So I left them off. There was a dash mounted rear view mirror which Ive since installed when I had the interior out.

I have a few more cars Ill share soon including a couple of stockers Im finishing up. Thanks again Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              UA-149438709-1