Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacement motor for RevoSlot Ferrari and LM600 GT2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement motor for RevoSlot Ferrari and LM600 GT2?

I picked up a couple of RevoSlot cars to try. (I think I have tried most major brands now). The quality of the RevoSlot cars is really good, the best of any I have bought. They handle extremely well. However, they are very heavy, 105gr versus 70 - 85gr for my Sideways and NSR cars, with a motor that isn't that strong. So, they are not very competitive on my small track. Has anyone upgraded the motors on Revo Slot cars? I need something with a bit more torque. They are about 1/2 second slow on my track where it runs about 6 second laps where the fast cars are 5.5 seconds. Track is 44 feet long with lots of turns. I think stock motor is 21000/200gr, could use about 250 or 25000 rpms and smaller gears.

give it some time and break in the running gear. if not, any slot it boxer motor should work. if im wrong somebody will chime in and set the record straight.

Comment

They get faster as they break in. Try going down a tooth on the pinion if you’re not running competitively against others first. If War Eagle River made a great video on improving the Revoslot, you may find a few tenths with his tips. Check the proxy section we have one that will feature Revoslot cars only.

Comment

I thought it was slow as well until I weighed it. It runs similar times as my Forums Cup Cars in the COT class. These cars weigh about 105 -111 grams. Now here is the kicker these cars are running 26 and 28k motors. So for this car to be this heavy and only have a 21K motor I am impressed. Could be why the proxy is for RevoSlot cars only.

Comment

• Brumos RSR
        Brumos RSR commented
        Editing a comment
        That is correct Sir ArroldN, but as Sir Superslab is proving, the Revoslot can be made to go quickly with just tuning.

The idea behind RevoSlot's is to run them against other RevoSlot's. Comparing them to other brands isn’t giving them a fair shake. We race them regularly here, had an endurance race with them a few months ago.
      Last edited by War Eagle River; April 11, 2021, 05:27 AM.
      Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
      Facebook-
      https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
      YouTube-
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

I have a Ferrari 333 and a Playstation Porsche GT2, and while they both aren't at the speed my NSR or Thunderslot cars are, they race well together. They did need time to get settled in, though. I haven't had any feelings that the motors were insufficient. Mine has been more that they weigh enough to where they're only going to be so controllable through a 1/60 curve. I'll bet on a nice big track they'd perform very nicely. They don't have the lightweight response the other cars have, though. They get better with tuning and tire care.

Comment

SRP make some FK's that might quicken things a little and they're not too expensive (depending on where you live). eg - SRP 13D Speed30 Motor 30000rpm 12v Can-Drive (SR181G53000A) (pendleslotracing.co.uk)

Comment

Professor Motor makes an FK 130 motor that turns 25K, we put them in our Womps to race on smaller tracks.

Comment

Agree with 2 points. Like all classes, run RevoSlot against RevoSlot. Second, while some break in less than others and you'll have to pony up and try again if one doesn't, Scott and I traded some of the fastest, most consistent laps on his track (outside of ThunderSlots and maybe a few of our NSR GTs) with a Marcos during our last team enduro. Video evidence exists...
              Tony ... Tampa, FL, USA

Comment

I found a 28K/200gr NSR motor that should be quicker with a smaller pinion. Now I need a pinion puller/installer.

Comment

I’ve seen someone with a scaleauto 25k motor...
                  also, as everyone already said these take a bit of break in and simple tuning esp with the tire trueing. these cars with their stock components can go very fast.
                  good luck with your car and have fun as these are spectacular cars!
                  and as Brumos said check out the Revo proxy threads!

Comment

To go quicker doesn't necessarily mean faster motors are required, 'slower is faster' is a saying that's been around a LONG time for good reason. If you're using Revo tyres don't expect quicker lap times with a 30k, the stock 21k is a great motor and can go round our 3 lane routed club track almost as quick as an NSR Mosler which has a 25k motor and better tyres.

I'd try a shorter rollout (bigger spur or smaller pinion) if you want improved acceleration. Is your car reaching top speed or are you running out of road?
                    Print It, Build It, Race It, Improve It, Repeat...

Comment

I am currently experimenting with one RevoSlot car... the Ferrari. I have adjusted it, put Paul Gage tires on it and set pinion clearance using an old RC helicopter method I used to use. It is running very smoothly. I understand about "slower is faster". The NSR cars I have with 350gr torque are extremely difficult to run on my small track and are relatively slow because you have to be so careful. My RevoSlot Ferrari will lap almost as fast as my NSR Mosler, as well. But almost doesn't win any races. My longest straight is 12', so no cars are reaching top speed. The RevoSlot car would probably do just fine with a bit of quicker acceleration. It's only about .3 seconds off the pace since I reset the pinion.

Comment

• Brumos RSR
                        Brumos RSR commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think your answers are in your post. More torque or rpm is not drivable on your track and no car is reaching top speed. An 11 or 10 tooth should get you close to what your looking for. Braking may improve going into the corner, plus improved acceleration out of the corner and down your straight. .015 saved at each of these points should get you there. More RPM is not your answer here, maximizing what you have with the info from Kevan and a few others will get you there. Keep us posted with your decision as most of us run these stock with blueprinting and limited changes if any as they have proven fun drivers.

I am going to try changing pinions. Now all I need to do is find some place to buy RevoSlot angle winder pinions and a pinion puller... no luck with either so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Bal r 14 View Post
                        I am going to try changing pinions. Now all I need to do is find some place to buy RevoSlot angle winder pinions and a pinion puller... no luck with either so far.
                        Any 6.5mm pinion will be absolutely fine, as all the major 1/32 "plastic car" manufacturers (Revo included) use .5 module (M50) pinions,......so any 6.5mm pinion from Slot-it, MRSlotcar, MBSlot, etc. will work without any issues whatsoever. For the issues you have mentioned, I would consider going to an 11T pinion.............assuming you stick with the stock motor !!. A motor change (depending on its characteristics) may need another ratio altogether.

Just as an aside, there is really no such thing as a specific inline, sidewinder, or, anglewinder pinion.............just different pinion diameters to accommodate the various motor pod spacing (motor shaft centerline to axle centerline) from the many manufacturers.
                        M50 pinions, are currently available from 4.5mm diameter to 7.5mm, and with the appropriately sized Spur/Crown will work in any motor orientation. (in an inline configuration, any of these various pinion diameters will work, but, for anything other than a 5.5mm diameter pinion, you will need to cut the motor shaft, and set the mesh using spacers to control the rear axle lateral movement

Cheers
                        Chris Walker

PS There are a ton of quality pullers/presses around,.........it pays to buy precision tools
                        Last edited by chrisguyw; April 13, 2021, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1