FlySlot truck questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlySlot truck questions

I was thinking about trying some of these, so any info would be appreciated. I really would like to know how tall they are and if they will work on a routed track with tight turns and no magnets. I have the Trackmate lap timer/counter and an overpass, clearance is about 5".

The one I just measured is a hair over 3" tall...

And yes they work on a wood track...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Merc3.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	91821
    Last edited by Beast Lee; April 4, 2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I don't have any in front of me to measure, but I'm sure they can be made to run on routed wood. There was a national event for this class a few years ago and they were run on many different tracks in preparation. It's all about weight tires and tuning. Same with any other car. I've seen almost no weight and more weight than I'd know what to do with. Tune to your driving style and they are a blast to drive.

Comment

Mines 3”

Comment

Originally posted by Bal r 14 View Post
          I was thinking about trying some of these, so any info would be appreciated. I really would like to know how tall they are and if they will work on a routed track with tight turns and no magnets. I have the Trackmate lap timer/counter and an overpass, clearance is about 5".
          They can for sure be made to run no magnet. We race them as a class, no mag on wood. The link below contains lots of our club videos, there’s definitely truck races in there some where.

https://m.facebook.com/pg/RockyMtnRa...marks&mt_nav=0

FYI, we allowed swapping out of the running gear for Slot.it gears, axles. We also used the NSR truck aluminum rims. We retained the original motor as they’re ok. I’ve geared my truck at 2.5 (25:10); although, I’ll probably change it 27 or 26:9 at some point. We’ve added weight to help offset the top heavy-ness. My Buggyra (sp?) has a “dogbone” chassis, which doesn’t leave much room for weight, but I’ve packed it in there. The flatnosed Mercs seem to be lighter and have a more traditional flat chassis where you can add more weight.

also, I retained the sprung guide. For some reason it’s worked better than adding in a Slot,it guide (I know...against all logic!). We race on urethane tires (Paul Gage, typically the PGT 40 Shore), at 10.5v on flat matte latex painted tracks.

Hope that helps! We enjoy these, they are a definite challenge to race. Really separates men from the boys re driving skills.

Cheers, eh!
          Tom
          Founding member of Rocky Mountain Racers, a 1/32 club based in Calgary, Alberta Canada: http://www.facebook.com/rockymtnracers
          Canada’s Tourist Trophy Event Founder and Organizer: http://www.facebook.com/touristtrophycanada

Comment

• Cgyracer
            Cgyracer commented
            Editing a comment
            Great info Tom

• WB2
            WB2 commented
            Editing a comment
            The NSR truck rims are flat (no center ridge). Which PG tires do you use with them?

• Giddyup
            Giddyup commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually I got the rims wrong. We used the sideways ones (https://slotcarcorner.com/products/sww-tr02-mg-sideways). Re tires, for the fronts, I can’t recall but for the rears, I believe I think was 21105LM? Sorry it’s been a few years, but Paul does have specific tires, just don’t know if they fit the Sideways or NSR rims... https://slotcarcorner.com/collection...ane-tires-firm

Hope that helps

Highly recommend. Fantastic to race Fly trucks, we race totally stock except for PG tires and replacement guide along with weight. .

Here is a video of a Truck race on one of our tracks to show how well they run

Comment

• Kevan
            Kevan commented
            Editing a comment
            Those trucks look great fun...has there ever been a Truck Proxy?

• Cgyracer
            Cgyracer commented
            Editing a comment
            There used to be a truck proxy around three or four years ago. I was not involved with that one but might be interested in the future.
            Rob

OK, sounds good to me. One more question, I see prices from $69 to $99, in some cases the trucks are virtually identical except for the number and slight differences in decals. Is there more than one version and are expensive ones significantly better? Oops, two more questions: are they angle winders or side winders?

Comment

Some have lights and they are inline
            Prices very over the livery

Comment

Are the wheels true? I have had a lot of problems with wheel hop with plastic wheels.

Comment

• cj74
                cj74 commented
                Editing a comment
                Stock plastic is always a crap shoot. Someone above mentioned the NSR wheels. I'd suggest going with those and the other part swaps suggested.

• Kevan
                Kevan commented
                Editing a comment
                Plastic wheels can be trued before gluing/truing the tyres.

Try for the older Fly Trucks and if memory serves, they're also detailed nicer. The older Buggyra is the truck to beat.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8038_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	654.5 KB ID:	92073 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8193.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	92077 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8195.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	92075 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8196.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	92076 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8194.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	92074

Yes these are a blast to drive. Each has been upgraded with a new guide and insert - it transforms the drive and is a must-do item IMO. And add lights to run them under the lights. I used this front/rear axle upgrade kit on 2 of them - and in 2 of them I swapped the original motors for baby Sprinter 18K units.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8431.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	92078

I have a Buggyra also but it's never been out of the box... yet!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7035-Resized.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	92079
                Last edited by dinglebery; April 5, 2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, videos and images. They are really cool looking! That track is incredible!
                  Last edited by Bal r 14; April 6, 2021, 01:21 AM.

Comment

How many trucks are you looking for? We used to run the trucks but haven't for quite some time, I can find out if they want to part with any of them.
                    Shipping would be from Ontario, Canada so I'm not sure of the shipping cost or how long they would take to arrive. I've been waiting over 5 weeks for a package from CA.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad_T View Post
                      How many trucks are you looking for? We used to run the trucks but haven't for quite some time, I can find out if they want to part with any of them.
                      Shipping would be from Ontario, Canada so I'm not sure of the shipping cost or how long they would take to arrive. I've been waiting over 5 weeks for a package from CA.
                      I'm thinking 4. I just had the TrackMate lap timer shipped from BC and it took maybe 1or 2 extra days. I have one truck coming this week, so I'll see if they will work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bal r 14 View Post

I'm thinking 4. I just had the TrackMate lap timer shipped from BC and it took maybe 1or 2 extra days. I have one truck coming this week, so I'll see if they will work for me.
                        Let me know and I can get you some details.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1