New tires and quick tune up makes me mag less believer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tires and quick tune up makes me mag less believer

I have the Camaro and Mustang Trans Am set from years ago. I recently got them both a set of PG tires, the old tires were so slick they wouldn’t grip. I put them on the Camaro first and used a shimmed magnet. Ran that way for a few weeks now, it was ok. I just did the mustang but took a bit more time on it, trued up all the wheels first, then trues up the tires. I tried the same shims for less magnet, but the mustang seats won’t me. So I ditched the mag altogether. Expecting lots of oversteer and tail happy action I was quite pleased with a fast and predictable car. So I pulled the Camaro part, dit the same wheel and tire truing ditched its magnet and shims. Now they both work well on my Scalextric track. Thanks to the tips and tricks on this board and site, I am now magnet free! At least on those two.
    Michael Squier
    Chatham, NY

keep taking them out-look how much more stuff you can hang on the fridge
    bill ,framingham ma

Comment

• Rastas
      Rastas commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll second that!

Good on you for giving it a go. And now that you're "magnet free" you might have to go to weekly meetings with other chaps who find they have the same affliction.

Comment

• Michael Squier
      Michael Squier commented
      Editing a comment
      I would like to but I don’t know of anyone in my area.

Once you go magless, it's difficult to go back....mag racing is very predictable vs no-mag. And if you ever build a wood track, they are no-mag anyway....so there you go.
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

• Michael Squier
      Michael Squier commented
      Editing a comment
      Compared to the factory mag set up they feel lighter on the track. Less drag under acceration. My Mustang really scoots around my small track.

Yes, without the magnet you can really see the acceleration of the cars. You will learn to drive better, and cornering is more realistic.
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

Spare magnets can be used as anchors when you heat treat chassis' to flatten them.

Comment

Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1