Slot car tracks, what's popular

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot car tracks, what's popular

I've just returned to slot cars and HRW after about four years. I was a daily poster in the past. My first slot car track was a Scalextric plastic track of about 55 feet. My second and last track was a 65 foot routed track that was designed and routed by a then club member and friend. So my question is, what is everyone doing these days, wood or plastic? I want to get a club going where I live. If I've posted this in the wrong area please move or delete. Thanks

Welcome back. Both plastic and wood tracks are represented here. People with limited space tend to have plastic. People with a dedicated room or space have plastic or wood.
    I've trolled the form for years, do you remember your original handle or screen name? Form changed back in 2020 and all had to reregister.
    Also where are you located? many people here from all over the US and some from other parts of the world. Maybe some are nearby. Lance
    Lance Sofa racer

Comment

• Atitagain
      Atitagain commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Lance, no I can't remember my old user name, wish I could. I didn't know about y'all having to reregister. But I do remember you, Dave Kennedy, Harry of course, and a few others. I'm in Georgetown Texas now. I know of a club in Austin but they are not excepting new members at this time due to COVID. I was hoping the plastic track industry had gone to three or four lanes but I can see that digital was their answer to more cars on the track. I'll have to try digital some time if I get the chance. Thank you for the "Welcome Back" and your reply.

• lance
      lance commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Austin Slot Car club is a good club. I raced with them about 5 years ago. They have couple of series running thru-out the year.
      With current COVID, It looks like they are doing a proxy type of racing where just 4 or 5 members run all the cars. the car owner sends or delivers their car to the club. you could contact them for more details.
      Last edited by lance; February 28, 2021, 05:11 PM.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

Comment

Welcome back! Custom Carrera here. If I had the space I would probably make a 3 lane from MDF, with Carrera spacing for 1:24.

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I had a Scalextric track long ago, I like the idea of the wider spacing on the Carrera track and may be going that way this time.

Policar has recently released a new plastic track that can be made into 4-6 lane layouts. Policar.it is the website. LEB is a US retailer.

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        I was looking at the LEB hobbies site this morning and looking at the plastic track options. Policar track looks a little smoother than the SCX track I remember. Thanks for the reply.

Welcome back. Carrera is still tops for many as before, but Policar is making ground in the plastic arena.

But more and more wood is appearing. LOT of new ones and folks sharing the builds.
      -Harry

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Harry, glad to be back.

Deals can be had on Ebay. Most used track may have some breaks and not be pristine, but most all of it is very useable. From time to time lots of Carrera track show up. Same with Scalex Sport Track. Probably about the best deal you will find. You may also find one of the guys here could have a box of track for sale. A third option is Artin, which is as good as any of the above tracks. It is no longer made, but lots do show up on Ebay and there may also be some guys here that have some for sale.

You will probably pay top dollar to set up a new Polistil track. A basic race set that is a 2 lane figure 8 or something similar won't require a bank loan, but a 4 lane setup with large lap length will require a bank loan. Bear in mind that Carrera 4 lane is around 20 inches wide, while the 1/32 track are probably more like 14 inches for a 4 lane width. That may be a consideration.

A routed, taped track is the cheapest way and probably best way to build a track to suit your particular needs. Copper tape works fine.
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        Went with wood and copper tape for a track a few years ago. You're right, worked great and enjoyed many hours of fun racing.

I don't know a lot about plastic track but I would say you can't go wrong with Carrera. You can run 1/32nd or 1/24th. You can set it up for digital or analog or I believe both. You can make it two lane or four lane, maybe even six lane or eight lane, I don't know. You can get banked turns and everything is still available and easy to find.
      Butch

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll take another look at my available space and decide on plastic or wood. I sure miss my 1000 sq ft basement I had in Ca. Thanks for the reply.

If you decide on wood, Slot Car Corner has about everything you'll need (except MDF) to build it.
      Butch

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        I never thought of them for track building. I bought everything I needed from Professor Motor for my last track. I'll look at what SCC has to offer. Thank you

Carrera is the best, I think. It was what I have used for the last 25 years or so until I built the current wood track. The biggest issue is the size. I can see that some guys may not have the space for 4 lanes of Carrera. Carrera has 4 diameters of curve, so you can go 8 lanes wide. They may even have a #5 curve now. Having a curve with a diameter of 54 inches makes a lot different track then using 14 inch radius curves. Carrera makes wide curves! They have 4 inch lane spacing and 1/24 can be raced somewhat comfortably.

Plenty of advice and guidance on this website and SCC is one stop for all your needs to rout a track with tape or braid.
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you mattb.

Welcome back.
      Whichever you pick between plastic or wood you will be happy with. In fact you will think your decision is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Not because of defending your decision, but the pure enjoyment of racing on your very own track. If plastic, eBay is pretty good and if you are lucky craigslist will work for you.

I have Carrera plastic and I am very happy with it. I bought one good digital set with wireless controllers and then I bought another set on craigslist. I also was lucky enough to find a local slotter who was getting out of the game and I bought his gear. More stuff than I needed, but that made it fun to pick and choose any layout I wanted.
      jeff

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        If I'm reading your post correctly, the old and new Carrera track (analog) is the same, so I could mix and match when buying from different sources. Thank you

Atitagain,

If you decide to go with wood and you decide to go with braid instead of copper tape (personally I like braid much better), spend the extra money to get pre-taped braid from Slot Car Corner, it's worth it and you'll be glad you did.
      Butch

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        Good advice. I found the copper tape to be a little hard to maintain after about a years worth of running. Lots of cars that were very low to the track or even touching in places caused a lot of repairs to be needed. I didn't go with braid last time cause I was in a hurry to get a fifth track up and running in our club. Thank you

I’ve gone from plastic to wood, and now digital plastic over the last 20 years. I pulled out my Carrera track, and bought a Carrera 1/24 set with wireless controllers. Cost a little more, but it comes with parts you will eventually buy. Also, bought a Tek-Slot track part which allows you to run analog cars . The main reason I switched, I’m a solo driver, so racing against ghost cars, and other features Carrera offers. I’m spending a lot more time playing on the track. Just my two cents.
      Tony

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        I appreciate the input. Solo running is probably what I'd be doing most of the time. Do you find the ghost cars de-slotting a lot or is the voltage to them reduced in some way? Thank you

I’m using 3 lane true 1/24 scale (4” lane centers) Scalextric plastic track. With two radius turns, a 6 lane layout can be created.

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't know that 3 lane plastic track was available by Scalextric, I'll have to check it out. Thanks

My ghost cars never deslot. They are well tuned and with the magnets in, no problem. The cars I drive have no magnets, so it’s challenging to beat the ghost car. I usually race against one, it’s all that’s needed for me.
      Tony

Comment

• Atitagain
        Atitagain commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, I understand, thank you.
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1