Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright I'm in.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alright I'm in.

    Except for a brief brush with Scalextric when my kids were young, I haven't ran a slot since the original Auroras back in the early 70s.

    I was a model builder as a kid and distinctly remember my first kit, a blue smashed up car I was given as an Easter present in 1970. I got back into building as an adult with my kids and tired for years to find what the first kit was. I finally came across it in an Aurora book, their Demolition Demon, and spent a few years looking for one. Eventually I snagged a good one, unbuilt with a nice box.

    Although I planned on keeping it a static kit, I've really got the bug for slots. I was too young to get into the big track 1/24 setups that the LHS had back in the day and by the time I was ready, they had closed.

    I just bought a vintage Aurora set with two AJets that'll I'll be using for this as well as either a Batmobile or Black Beauty.

    I sculpt and cast professionally, so once I get those chassis I'll decide whether I'm going to just build it as a slot, as both or copy the kit and build a slot from that.

    I feel I'm on the edge of a rabbit hole. Just looking around here, I'm going to get pretty involved with scratch building.

    Looking forward to the new adventure.

  • #2
    Welcome.
    The Aurora track is nice track, it will be fun to see it set up and running. Obviously you are down the casting hole, so this won't be completely unfamiliar.
    Scratchbuilding is quite enjoyable....
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

    Comment


    • #3
      message from deep in the hole... "We'll save some tea for you, but you're late! You're late! You're late!"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by chappyman66 View Post
        Welcome.
        The Aurora track is nice track, it will be fun to see it set up and running. Obviously you are down the casting hole, so this won't be completely unfamiliar.
        Scratchbuilding is quite enjoyable....
        Good to hear thanks!

        Yeah, I've got the vacuum chamber waiting.

        I didn't even think that scratchbuilding a chassis was a thing until I came here. I've got plenty of K&S stock, a resistance solderer, a mill and3D printer as well.
        Last edited by ausf; February 6, 2021, 12:19 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by waaytoomuchintothis View Post
          message from deep in the hole... "We'll save some tea for you, but you're late! You're late! You're late!"
          Sorry, I stopped by about a dozen rabbit holes before this one, but this might be the deepest of all.

          Comment


          • #6
            To rip off a line from a movie , " Welcome to the party , Pal "

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ausf View Post

              Good to hear thanks!

              Yeah, I've got the vacuum chamber waiting.

              I didn't even think that scratchbuilding a chassis was a thing until I came here. I've got plenty of K&S stock, a resistance solderer, a mill and3D printer as well.
              Now you are plenty deep in the hole indeed. it's fun down here, though.......
              Come Race at The Trace!
              Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

              Comment


              • #8
                Paul is right about the Aurora A-Jet track. It may be the best 1/32 track from the 60's. Monogram and Revell are both fine, but the Aurora is solid and tight fitting.

                If you listen to Paul too much you be looking for a 3d printer next! A lot of casters on here and a few 3D guys, too.

                Just like back in the 80's. The 1/32 home guys can make everything they need. Great talent for all aspects of slots here.
                Matt B
                So. In
                Crashers

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ausf View Post

                  Good to hear thanks!

                  Yeah, I've got the vacuum chamber waiting.

                  I didn't even think that scratchbuilding a chassis was a thing until I came here. I've got plenty of K&S stock, a resistance solderer, a mill and3D printer as well.
                  What no lathe oh well we can help you out
                  Since no one has said it the first step is admitting your already down the hole. WELCOME

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Helo....o.....o......o......o.....o......o

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mattb View Post
                      Paul is right about the Aurora A-Jet track. It may be the best 1/32 track from the 60's. Monogram and Revell are both fine, but the Aurora is solid and tight fitting.

                      If you listen to Paul too much you be looking for a 3d printer next! A lot of casters on here and a few 3D guys, too.

                      Just like back in the 80's. The 1/32 home guys can make everything they need. Great talent for all aspects of slots here.
                      That's good to hear regarding the track.

                      I have the printer, just need those stl files...🤔

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 4424ever View Post

                        What no lathe oh well we can help you out
                        Since no one has said it the first step is admitting your already down the hole. WELCOME
                        I used my lathe money on the Aurora set. 😎

                        I ersatz lathe with my drill press, but I won't rule out getting a real one if this hobby sticks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for the welcome guys, I think I'll find myself in a good place here.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Welcome
                            Very friendly and helpful bunch here. Enjoy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I had not seen that Demo Derby car model - pretty unusual, I wonder if they made any other subjects as Demo cars?

                              I like the wood stick detail, it was the way they ran Demos at Islip Speedway near where I grew up (they used to do the Wide World of Sports world champion Demo there).

                              Sounds like you are all set - just chase after the stuff that interests you !

                              You mentioned you sculpt and cast - what do you sculpt?

                              NYMODIFIEDS.COM

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              UA-149438709-1