Pinion press dilemma.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion press dilemma.

So the dilemma is that my Ninco pinion press is too short to press a brass pinion gear onto a motor with a spring mounted shaft extension. The motor is a front mounted in-line motor in a Shelby cobra coupe by MRRC. I have tried various ways of doing it but without any success. (never very good at puzzles) I am sure someone at HRW has figured out how to do this. Please share your solution?

If I recall correctly, the rear section of the shaft can be "unscrewed" relatively easily because of the helical nature of the spring. If you turn the rear shaft one way it will be tight, but if you turn it opposite the direction of the spring coils it will loosen up and with slight pulling traction you can extract the shaft from the spring. Then with just a shaft and the pinion you can use a block of wood with a hole in it with the one end of the shaft in the hole and the pinion resting on the wood, gently tap the other end of the shaft to properly seat the pinion to its' correct placement. Once you get the pinion on, to the right position, then "screw" the rear shaft back into the spring.

Peter
    PetesLightKits

Comment

You will need to remove the shaft from the spring,.....then,.......cut a piece of brass tubing that the pinion shaft will fit into (maybe 2 inches long), cut another piece of tubing/piano wire that will fit inside the first cut piece of brass tubing (cut this one maybe an 1.5 inches long)......telescope the 2 pieces, and insert your pinion shaft.....stick this whole mess into your press, and Bob's your uncle.

Sounds confusing, actually quite easy.........or get a press with a much longer adjustment screw

Petes' method (above) will work just as well.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Comment

Great! Thank you Petes..,& chris, I'll give it another shot. Didn't think of trying to turn the shafts in opposite directions.

Comment

I just remembered something else... I think one time I actually ended up pulling the rear shaft and the spring off together. In this case I just used some pliers gently on the spring to remove the spring from the rear section and then reassembled everything again once I had made my modifications.

Peter
          PetesLightKits

Comment

Of course, if you want to use the spring method of coupling, it would be worth the bother you will have to do. But we (HRW) long ago avoided the problem by using a section of ball point pen ink tube to join. Its the perfect size, there will never be a vibration problem. Most of the time, a tiny dot of Superglue will be enough tack to hold everything in place. You can also use vinyl tubing like that used as fuel line in gas motored airplanes and cars.

Comment

• chappyman66
              chappyman66 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, the tube fix works well and you will be amazed at how much smoother the car will run.

What about a torch if it is a brass gear , heat it up and it falls right off

Comment

• PetesLightKits
              PetesLightKits commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the OP wants to install a pinion onto the shaft, not remove one.

• Courtney s
              Courtney s commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok heat and press it on!
          Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1