Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever remove printing from a pioneer car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever remove printing from a pioneer car?

I do not want to strip it bare, rather remove the joker from the hood and the funky 666 stuff from the roof.

To me the car could look awesome without that dumb joker at least.
    If I have to, I'll sand and paint over those areas as a last resort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	73769

I would think re paint. Also, it’s not dumb, just not your flavor. That car sold like hot cakes from what I recall. Show some pics afterwards.

Comment

Agree, I'd sand and repaint....or get a "white kit" and do it as You'd like to see it.

Comment

William, if you are referring to the red Charger, Ref: P022, the "funky" 666 decal on the roof is a play on Route 66. The "dumb joker" is a Red Devil, hence the Route 666.

Those graphics will be a real pain to remove. The Devil put hardener in the print ink.

Jules

Name:	P022 with P079.png
Views:	176
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	73782

Attached Files

Comment

• Fast Co.
          Fast Co. commented
          Editing a comment

Hmmm
        think I'll mask off and repaint the charcoal areas flat black, them red on the roof then
        Thanks for the help and ideas

Comment

There is a member here that did remove tampos from a Pioneer yellow TA Camaro. I THINK it was proxieken but I'm not 100% certain. It was posted on the old forum.

I may have copied the how-to PM from back then. If I find it, I'll send it to you via PM.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by williamg View Post
            Hmmm
            think I'll mask off and repaint the charcoal areas flat black, them red on the roof then
            Thanks for the help and ideas
            I have take off unwanted tampo print from several cars in the past using Tamiya rubbing/polishing compound (go easy) , and , it has worked well. That said, I have not done this on any Pioneer cars, so the the type of ink, its depth , and the depth of the underlying paint, may affect the outcome.

However, if you are considering repainting, it may not be a bad idea to try this method first, it may well work, and if it does not, you will at least have a smooth even surface to repaint on top of

Cheers
            Chris Walker

Comment

I personally have had some success with this product, although I have not used it on Pioneer items specifically (please follow instructions, test and use at your own risk!)

It is a gel and it will not run, so you can use it on a specific area.

Chris

Click image for larger version  Name:	strip magic.PNG Views:	0 Size:	143.8 KB ID:	73809

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong "
              "And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing"

Murray Walker

Comment

While Strip Magic is great for stripping paint, and I do use it, it basically attacks and softens the paint,.......so while great for completely stripping/repainting, it will not be ideal for attempting to remove the tampo decals, as it will attack /remove any paint/tampo it comes in contact with.

A rubbing compound will "cut" and remove the top level of paint/tampo, without affecting the deeper layers.

A quick look at the video, will demonstrate.................not want you want to use for trying to remove only the tampo !!

Cheers
                Chris Walker

Comment

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post
                  While Strip Magic is great for stripping paint, and I do use it, it basically attacks and softens the paint,.......so while great for completely stripping/repainting, it will not be ideal for attempting to remove the tampo decals, as it will attack /remove any paint/tampo it comes in contact with.

A rubbing compound will "cut" and remove the top level of paint/tampo, without affecting the deeper layers.

A quick look at the video, will demonstrate.................not want you want to use for trying to remove only the tampo !!

Cheers
                  Chris Walker
                  I will just respectfully agree to disagree.

That's why I said test and use at your risk. I used Strip Magic for such a purpose when I removed the original black numbers from the white background prior to applying my own yellow background and numbers. It softens the paint and depending on how long you leave it on, you can remove the print in layers.

Your results may vary.

Apologies for not being able to share a better picture of what I did, this car is currently away in a proxy series, but here is a screen capture from the proxy forum.

Name:	Porsche.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	735.6 KB
ID:	73821

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong "
                  "And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing"

Murray Walker

Comment

Model railroad guys use doses of decal softening agents followed up with a fiberglass eraser. I’ve seen excellent results on tampo printed models but it requires patience.
                    It might be worth a try before stripping and sanding.

Comment

I bought the same Pioneer Charger to make into a version of Dave Marcus' stock car. I covered part of the decals with Monokote - a thin plastic film with an adhesive backing typically used on model planes. Slot Car Fever decals were put on the Monokote. I can't remember if I coated them or not.

Name:	Marcus 71 cropped.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	73883

I left part of the primer paint showing so the finished car would look like a partially restored version of an original NASCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by slothead View Post
                        I bought the same Pioneer Charger to make into a version of Dave Marcus' stock car. I covered part of the decals with Monokote - a thin plastic film with an adhesive backing typically used on model planes. Slot Car Fever decals were put on the Monokote. I can't remember if I coated them or not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Marcus 71 cropped.jpg Views:	18 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	73883

I left part of the primer paint showing so the finished car would look like a partially restored version of an original NASCAR.
                        I really like that.
                        I won't do numbers, more of a street and drag version but you have the look I'm going for thank you.
                        I've done black monocote on a car before with good resuts, so time for red.

Comment

97% alcohol soak 24hrs tooth brush the car

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1