What is the story behind Flyslot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the story behind Flyslot?

Was trying to find some info on FLYSLOT. When I got into 1/32 slot cars in 2002 it was because of the beautiful models FLY was making. Later I purchased a couple of GB Track Cam Am cars, which were somehow associated with FLY, and had heard FLY went out of business. Now years later I'm racing slot cars again, but FLYSLOT is rather new to me. Did this company resurrect or acquire FLY in some way? Are they still in business? I found one article about a new owner of FLY, but it wasn't very clear how FLYSLOT fit in with this company if it ever did? If you could enlighten me I would really like to know more.

I found this: RAFAEL BARRIOS Jr. (slotcar-today.com)
    Fly made beautiful looking cars that did not always run that well. The cars were made in Spain, so they tended to cost more than the makes that are made in China. Eventually Fly went on the rocks and was eventually resurrected as Flyslot.

Comment

Fly has been back in the game since around 2018.

Comment

I have a bunch of Fly cars, a few GB Track cars, and a few Flyslot & Slotwings cars. The first few Fly cars I got about 10 years ago were awful - wouldn't even run without fixing cracked gears or wheels. I haven't had similar problems with the others that I got more recently. Maybe the quality got better overall, or maybe the newer versions used the same bodies/molds and associated production techniques but different suppliers for the plastic running gear parts.

Once upon a time I swore off Fly cars forever but I guess beautiful cars have a kind of magnetic attraction just like some other objects of desire.

Comment

Twelve years ago I started collecting Fly cars because the bodies looked legit, and not like a toy. Then some GB Track, and then the Trucks. They looked real, with great details including lights. I didn't even care if they ran because I didn't plan on running half of them! Fast forward to today and I'm rebuilding them as I run them to make them great running cars. They still look great!

Comment

I've said it a dozen times or more right here on HRW, and I'll say it again. I love my FLY cars. I buy them anytime I can. I've even become a kind of expert at fixing others' attempts to modify them.

Comment

thats whats fun for me,getting them to run well. when i buy one i know i might have to change a bunch of parts. if i cant get it to run good, it will always still look good.

Comment

My all time favourite FLY is the Slotwings 512BB (with Flyslot printed on the chassis). I've got 3 of them and 2 have NSR motors and Slot.it rear axles with Ultragrips and the other has a slightly quicker motor than standard with trued down Vanquish Supergrips on the standard rear axle and I wouldn't swap any of them for anything.

Comment

https://www.slotcar-today.com/en/not...eturn-7274.php

Comment

In my experience the quality control is just as bad, if not worse than ever. Taking that into account, the prices they charge for these cars is ridiculous.

Comment

As to the OP:
                      They all revolve /devolve around the same person via multiple company names. As Rich pointed out, the FLY, GB Track, Fly Alpha, Flyslot, Slotwings are basically all the same person in different "companies".

For which, many of us are grateful to have the nice bodies and liveries of some classic cars.
                      Come Race at The Trace!
                      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

Thanks for the articles Rich and cantabriamad. It's surprises me to hear negative comment about FLY cars. But I wasn't as serious about racing back in early 2000's and the FLY cars I bought seemed to run just fine to me. Yes they were my first 1/32 scale cars, but they peeked my interest enough to go out and buy a Scalextric Race Set. Those Scaley cars in the set couldn't hold a candle to the looks of the FLY cars back then. I did have a couple of FLY cars that broke rather quickly, but I guess I passed that off to my inexperience as a driver and to the ultra (but fragile) detail that the cars offered. My Porsche 911 GT1 EVO in the gold Mobil One livery is one of the first slot cars in 1/32 scale I bought, and is still one of my favorite cars both in looks and in speed. Thanks for adding to my thread. I hate starting a thread that no one else comments on.

Comment

• RvE
                          RvE commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Zip - my personal experience is the FlySlot cars are not of the scale quality or detail as the original Fly cars. In fact I returned the only FlySlot I ever bought back to the vendor. It was very "toy like" compared to the original Fly cars. The most recent versions of new Fly cars, seems to be better, but I have not purchased any of the new Fly cars. Just my 2 cents. RvE
                      Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1