Carrera Timer Question - Lost Laps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera Timer Question - Lost Laps

I have a Carrera Timer (71590) that subtracts laps only with RevoSlot cars? It's the strangest thing - I run several laps with different Slot.it Group C cars and the laps count down one lane at a time - no issues. When running a RevoSlot the timer subtracts a lap during the lap - it's the weirdest thing!! I'm using one controller with one car on carpet. Tried both lanes and using a single crossover - same thing happens. Can the size of the car make that much difference and why does it only happen with RevoSlot (Viper and Supra)?

I'm scratching my head on this one - all comments welcome!!!

Only Carrera timer we have is the Captain standing there with a stopwatch and a clipboard! Works great, no lost laps...at least that’s what she says...and who’s going to argue!
    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA

Comment

LOL!! Thanks Scott. I'm thinking maybe it's the metal chassis - perhaps the timer doesn't recognize it properly and there is a delay of some sort.

Comment

I don't know anything about the Carrera lap counter & timer, but maybe I can help you brainstorm the problem.

How does the lap counter detect cars? Does it use a dead strip, mechanical switch/lever that the guide triggers, or something else? Are the guides different between the cars with the problem compared to the ones that don't? Does the lap counting error tend to happen when the car is at a particular place on the track? If so, maybe the nearest track joint is loose and making intermittent contact that is having an impact on the lap counter.

Carrera racers who read your post should be of help in figuring this out.

Comment

Thanks Slothead! The counter/timer is IR based - using Carrera track with 7mm guides. I moved the counter to another location and it seems to count down the laps normally so far (cross fingers) - with exception being the lap not started by the car (i.e. if I start in right lane - left lane will hit zero laps before right lane). Don't care about both lanes - just want an accurate lap count with times of at least one lane. It's the strangest thing - since it's IR based maybe the position of the timer was reading the car at other locations? Seems far fetched - but can't really explain otherwise (all else being equal other than car manufacturer).

Comment

I have one of those timers, but haven't used it in a long time. Here's a couple shots in the dark. You may have already done this, but be sure the IR sensors are clean.
            Make sure the counter is sitting under the track properly and that the track is not moving up and down causing the sensor to trigger from the edge of the track intermittently blocking the light.
            And maybe the batteries are getting low on charge, or some corrosion in the battery box?
            Randy

Comment

• slothead
              slothead commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't realize the Carrera timer was battery powered. I use a PC Mouse lap timing setup where a computer mouse is connected to a dead strip. When a car goes over the dead strip a left click is generated that triggers a lap count in the stopwatch program I use. This works flawlessly for me except on 2 occasions when the mouse triggered false laps (when no car was passing over the dead strip). The problem was fixed by putting a new battery in the mouse.

Slothead - is your setup wireless? Can you provide some details on the software? I'd like to figure something out that is wireless and uses a tablet of some sort. The Carrera timer is still counting down laps - apparently it doesn't like one continuous lane (i.e. single cross over). Probably works fine with two cars running - but I'm a solo racer. Thanks!!

Comment

• slothead
              slothead commented
              Editing a comment
              I got the idea here (http://pcslotmouse.mygamesonline.org/) after someone on HRW posted about it. The webpage has photos and a drawing to show how to do the deadstrip and connect it to a mouse. Yes, I use a wireless mouse with the receiver plugged into a USB port on a PC. I only use the connection for lane 1, though the diagram shows how it can be used to time 2 lanes.

I don't use the program shown on the webpage. I downloaded the split-lap timer here (https://www.online-stopwatch.com/spl...r/full-screen/) and when the cursor is placed over the arrow each mouse click creates a timestamp. Check it out and you'll see what I mean. I cut and paste the list of timestamps into Excel to process, but it would be easier to ask for the program the guy wrote. I corresponded with him at one time.
          Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1