Installing pinionon NSR King EVO motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing pinionon NSR King EVO motor

I have tried using the Slot.it pinion press to mount pinions on NSR King EVO (long can) motors. Since the shaft is only exposed on one end, the other end is damaged as the shaft is pushed into the endbell. How do you press a pinion onto a NSR King EVO (long can) motor?

I use a pinion press like with all the other motors. I've had no problems with any of the Kings.

Comment

By damaged, do you mean when you pressed on the pinion it caused a nipple to show on the can end? If so, the motor should still be okay. Test it and see.
      Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA

Comment

There is no real difference for putting a pinion on a long can/boxer style motor using the Slot.it pinion press tool versus using it for an s-can or slim-can motor. The end of the motor that has a cap covering the shaft sits in the collar on the end of the pinion press tool. Pop the pinion into the most suitable recessed hole on the pinion gear holder part of the tool and then slowly close the press. There is no direct pressure applied to the motor shaft, only pressure applied due to the friction between the pinion and the shaft as the pinion is being pressed on.

Before
        Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	58297

During

Name:	during.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	58298

After

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	58299

Peter
        Last edited by PetesLightKits; October 11, 2020, 11:17 AM.
        PetesLightKits

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'll try again. I get a dimple on the closed end and there is a lot of play on the armature.

Comment

• PetesLightKits
            PetesLightKits commented
            Editing a comment
            OK, I don't think that is necessarily a sign that there has been some permanent, negative damage - just that there is play in the armature.

There is no other way to put a pinion on then with the various press's we use or with a vice.
          Matt B
          So. In
          Crashers

Comment

I use a small brass disk that fits loosely inside of the Slot.it press anvil to give the rear end of the armature shaft something to bear against. By doing this, the shaft end will not dimple the bearing end cap. The disk is .055" thick and .218" in diameter. I use a small bit of grease to keep the disk in place when using it. The disk is thin enough to allow the bearing end cap to locate the rear end of the motor center to the center line of the anvil. I believe the disk could be thinner and could be aluminum or steel.

Name:	disk1 (2).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	58351 Click image for larger version

Name:	disk3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	58352

Comment

Originally posted by PetesLightKits View Post
              There is no real difference for putting a pinion on a long can/boxer style motor using the Slot.it pinion press tool versus using it for an s-can or slim-can motor. The end of the motor that has a cap covering the shaft sits in the collar on the end of the pinion press tool. Pop the pinion into the most suitable recessed hole on the pinion gear holder part of the tool and then slowly close the press. There is no direct pressure applied to the motor shaft, only pressure applied due to the friction between the pinion and the shaft as the pinion is being pressed on.

Before
              Click image for larger version  Name:	before.jpg Views:	59 Size:	73.6 KB ID:	58297

During
              Click image for larger version  Name:	during.jpg Views:	59 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	58298

After
              Click image for larger version  Name:	after.jpg Views:	58 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	58299

Peter
              This is a excellent showing on how to install it with a closed end boxer. That is how I install it with my slot it press. I did damage a motor the first time I used it. NOT knowing how to use it. I was glad I damaged the motor now I know on how to use it and its been a Great tool. That bronze bushing on the left side has to be there with out it you will damage the motor.
              Last edited by Vision34; October 11, 2020, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Success, I used a M6x1x16 small-cap head bolt as a rest for the closed-end bell and chamfered the pinion. There is a slight indentation at the closed end bell if you look hard, and no noticeable play with the shaft.

Comment

That's awsome glad you got it done. Great job. Now for the racing.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1