Scalextric Truxmore Torino Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalextric Truxmore Torino Improvements

I have been wanting to take one of these and make it look more like the real car that ran LeMans. I started by swapping the wheels out for a set of Scalextric NASCAR wheels. I added front and rear spoilers too. I ground off the single exhaust pipe from the chassis and made some side exit pipes from plastic tubing. A set of auxiliary driving lights were added with some scratchbuilt brackets. A roll bar was also added to the interior. Some weight was added to the chassis along with a B-Nova Slot It guide adapter. I am happy with the improvements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0653.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	54662

Name:	100_0654.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	54663

Name:	100_0655.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	54664

Name:	100_0656.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	54665

Name:	100_0658.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	54666

Very nice indeed. I had to do something a bit similar with mine and opted for the Nascar wheels too, but instead of driving lights and front spoiler, I went for slight lowering and moving the front axle forward a tad.

Comment

• Fathead59
      Fathead59 commented
      Editing a comment
      Can I ask a question , how were you able to move the front wheels forward ?

• SlotCat
      SlotCat commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome looking spruce up an older model! Yes, I noticed the front axle is off a tiny bit rearward, but overall great looking car!

• Wobble
      Wobble commented
      Editing a comment
      I hot glued a brass tube in place for the axle to run in.

nice job

Comment

Oh yeah, cool work. Nice seeing this old ride again.
      -Harry

Comment

Very cool to see this work.... I wish they still had that mold to do more cars.
        Slot Car Nerd/Photographer/ Just a self-styled marketing guy on my back porch.
        Check out my YouTube channel for weekly slot car news

Comment

Came out sharp. Much nicer and realistic than the original.

Comment

Just the right tinkering!

Dundee Denny

Comment

That is the strangest slot car... Too long, too heavy, ugly wheels, I hate the paintjob, all the wrong things. And it runs like a striped-assed ape, is great in the corners, and is one of the most effective chassis to swap into other bodies. I caught a sale on them when nobody bought them and got 5. I should have bought more- they were $20 each!

Comment

You know, I’ll have to take your word about that ape. Haven’t had the apparent joy of seeing that ape run like the blazes yet. I will have to check on YouTube.

It looks to me like a 70’s cop show car with a patriotic paint job.
                jeff

Comment

Thanks all for looking!

Name:	ford_torino_1976_le_mans_1-vi.jpg.928e0513ca8eea970d3ed06fff16ec6b.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	54771

Name:	MCLP-060600-NASC-14.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	54772

Name:	MCLP-060600-NASC-01.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	54773

Name:	MCLP-060600-NASC-17.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	54774

Comment

Yes, Harry I do like monkeys but I was gently jabbing Waaaay for his “runs like a striped ass ape” comment. That’s a new on on me.

Any car with the guts to take on Le Mans is worth talented modeling.
                    jeff

Comment

I reckon this and the yellow/black Cuda SCX did, are 2 of the best cars to run at le Mans.

Comment

You made it into a fine ride..
                        Always liked that ol' car for some reason..
                        Rusty

Comment

I almost bought a used Scalextric Truxmore Torino on HRW a few years ago before I knew anything about its history. This must be one of the most unusual cars ever to show up at Le Mans. What must the French racing fans have thought when this behemoth arrived?

I watched a short video of a restored version of this car running at a vintage car event. Seeing it blast down the straightaway and close in on a Mini Cooper heading into a turn is a sight I will never forget. Reminds me of a phrase a football coach of mine used about how to attack a defense - "use a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito".

Comment

I had one of those coaches when I played, too. As the smallest defensive lineman (only 200 lbs), on a team of giants, I was glad to hear anything from the defense coach that had to do with me being as effective as the guys beside me who outweighed me by 40-60 pounds. I will never forget one day the disappointing talk from the coach who explained that whereas a hen's egg will smash a robin's egg, an ostrich egg will smash them both. Guess who he was looking at when he said, "hen's egg".

Comment

• slothead
                              slothead commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My high school coach had a "It's not the size of the dog in the fight it's the size of the fight in the dog" sign in his office.

I guess the Truxmore Torino would be an ostrich egg in your story. However, to the driver of a Mini it would look more like a bowling ball in the rear view mirror. The sound of the exhaust alone would break eggs and deflate egos.
                          Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1