CanAm Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanAm Anyone?

I was bored last night and dug out my CanAm cars after the Sunoco Thunderslot arrived . A fairly diverse field and I didn't realize I had quite so many. Truthfully there's probably a few more that could be included.

Regards
    Rico

Nice !!

Comment

I only have one, SlotIt Mclaren M8D

Comment

I'm curious what manufacturer made the cars. The only Shadow I could find was the CG Slotcars DN4, and my McLarens are Carrera, HSRR, Fly, Monogram, and Slot.It.

Also, which make good racing mates?

Comment

• Dogsbody
          Dogsbody commented
          Editing a comment
          Vanquish made them.

• SpeedyNH
          SpeedyNH commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah, i noticed that it was kinda big.

My favorites!
        Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA

Comment

Here's a list of cars by car number for those who have questions

12- Slot.it McLaren M8D
          101- Vanquish Shadow MkII
          6- Thunderslot McLaren M6A
          4 Orange- Revell-Monogram McLaren M6
          66- Slot.it Chaparral 2E
          16- Resin copy of old Aurora Ferrari 612
          4 Red- SRC Alfa T33
          48-HSRR McLaren M8D
          30- Revell-Monogram Lola T70
          65- SCX Chaparral 2E
          98 Strombecker McKee Olds
          7- Revell-Monogram Lola T70

Comment

• slothead
            slothead commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice variety. My Monogram CanAm cars are good runners after a little bit of work. Same goes for a HSRR McLaren. Slot.It Chaparral's are smooth and fast, but not so much that they always dominate.

Is the Thunderslot McLaren M6A the class of the field? If so, what car(s) are the closest competition?

Just to keep everyone informed... The Vanquish cars were super detailed, with real, working differentials (that people made a mess of by not reading the instructions). All you have to do to a Vanquish car to make it the best cornering car you own is to pack the diff with R/C car grease the way you would pack any diff. Runs great. The company caught the "stupid disease", that happens now and then in slot car world, by thinking they could create a scale that is unique to their own cars. I can't explain it. Its a mental disorder. Ninco did it, Vanquish did it, and a few others whose names no one but us old guys would remember. Of course, there is a reason that their names are almost forgotten...

Comment

• slothead
            slothead commented
            Editing a comment
            I know about the Vanquish cars but forgot they did make the Shadow. I've had several opportunities to buy them but declined due to the odd size.

• 32lbking
            32lbking commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the Vanquish cars. Got about a dozen. I thought the differential was just a really cool and unique feature, and as waay said the detail is fantastic. I don't mind the slightly larger (1/28th ish) scale as I 'm into 1/24th anyway. Just more opportunity for better detail. They definitely need to be raced against each other though, kinda like the Revoslot's.

I've told myself I do not need another Thunderslot, but that Sunoco car is pretty sharp looking.

Comment

Mitch58 you better jump on one. They are going up in price due to them running low on supply. Its the supply and demand equation. 😁

Comment

Can't resist adding a picture of some real CanAm cars doing their thing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	McLaren Elva M2B & 2E.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	49910

Bruce in a McLaren Elva M2B followed by Jim Hall in a 2F.

Comment

Sorry..... that's the 2E (note the wing endplates for Laguna Seca) not the endurance 2F coupe. This is Can-Am, after all.....
                Last edited by chappyman66; August 16, 2020, 10:53 PM.
                Come Race at The Trace!
                Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

And Rico.....nice collection!
                  I always wonder about the SCX car... square radiator opening like the 2G but shorter sides like the 2E.

It was the only one available back in the 90s....but a better 2G will be welcome.
                  You know.....there is a 3D file for the Shadow in the right size.......
                  Come Race at The Trace!

Comment

Chappyman66 - I have 7 of these Chaparrals (2E's & 2F's) and can never remember which is which. I run the closed cockpit ones in my Le Mans series, and the open cockpit ones in my CanAm series.

The Le Mans Chaparrals are from MRRC(3) & Scalextric(2), and the CanAm cares are from Slot.It(2). I also have a Chaparral 2D in my Le Mans series made from a Strombecker body mounted on an MRRC chassis.

Name:	Chaparrals #65 B.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	49936

Help me understand the difference between them.

Comment

You have it, right there....the closed coupe is the 2F. The open car is the 2E (the CanAm car).
                      Come Race at The Trace!

Comment

Originally posted by slothead View Post
                        Can't resist adding a picture of some real CanAm cars doing their thing.

Name:	McLaren Elva M2B & 2E.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	49910

Bruce in a McLaren Elva M2B followed by Jim Hall in a 2F.
                        I think your finger must have slipped on the keyboard,.......the McLaren is a M1B, not, a M2B

Cheers
                        Chris Walker

Name:	DSCN4614.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	49951

Comment

• slothead
                          slothead commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I knew that was the car you made a replica of. I came across the photo while looking up info on the Chaparral 2H which was new to me. The caption said this was Bruce in a McLaren Elva MIIB, and I didn't know better. Thanks for the info.
                      Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1