• Show
Clear All

• BMW M1 - Scaleauto vs Sideways

Click image for larger version

Name:	7D33691F-5372-4750-BFBC-798323196B97.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	47343 Hi All,

The BMW M1s have always been one of my favorite Group 5 cars. I have a number of the Fly models, but am curious about the Sideways and Scaleauto models. I know that the Fly’s won’t compete with either of these, but I was just wondering which of the two cars people think is better. I’m looking at the Scaleauto angle winder, so we’re comparing apples to apples. The price is basically the same for both.

I’ve heard lots about the Racer Sideways cars, but don’t know much about the Scaleauto cars.

If you were picking between the Scaleauto and the Sideways car, which one would you pick and why?

Thanks
    Scott

I would pick based on livery, first Scott. It's not just the make/model of car (in this case BMW/M1 GT) that interests me, it's what color the main body is and do I like the graphics. With that out of the way I'd go with a Scaleauto because I have several Sideways cars already. The Sideways cars run great, with tweaking for my track of course. I don't see myself getting one though, mainly because of the front overhang stretching so far out in front of the front axle. A car like that doesn't go well around the banked curves.

Comment

The Scaleauto and the Sideways BMW M1 cars are fairly close in performance. Both will take Slot.it parts to upgrade. Personally wouldn’t pick one over the other. It’s all in the set-up and driver to make them perform.
      Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA

Comment

Originally posted by dinglebery View Post
        I would pick based on livery, first Scott. It's not just the make/model of car (in this case BMW/M1 GT) that interests me, it's what color the main body is and do I like the graphics. With that out of the way I'd go with a Scaleauto because I have several Sideways cars already. The Sideways cars run great, with tweaking for my track of course. I don't see myself getting one though, mainly because of the front overhang stretching so far out in front of the front axle. A car like that doesn't go well around the banked curves.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	7756CE3F-F409-40A2-9D8D-4DBB28BC22C6.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	47356Click image for larger version

Name:	C4B4B132-18BF-4FF2-A48A-0C661180B337.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	836.6 KB
ID:	47357

Thanks, I was looking at the same livery for both cars (Sideways is on left Scaleauto on right). The Sideways car does look marginally lower at the front, but this can always be adjusted.

Thank you
        Scott
        Attached Files

Comment

• dinglebery
          dinglebery commented
          Editing a comment
          Based on those 2 pictures I would get the Scaleauto. It appears the Sideways car would need plenty of work on the front end just to get the wheels in the correct locations. Also, the Scaleauto front end looks to be more like the real car and the front overhang isn't as pronounced as on the Sideways.

Originally posted by War Eagle River View Post
        The Scaleauto and the Sideways BMW M1 cars are fairly close in performance. Both will take Slot.it parts to upgrade. Personally wouldn’t pick one over the other. It’s all in the set-up and driver to make them perform.
        Thanks Scott

Comment

I am with War Eagle River, either can be set up very well.

Both brands use similar stepped wheels, so whatever rear tyre is your usual go-to, there will be one to suit the rims.

Motor Power - The ScaleAuto in that livery is a hand full on small tracks, it has a 16.1 watt motor, 21,500rpm, 300 g/cm torque - you may want a lower powered boxer in that.
          The Sideways has the standard Slot.it Flat-6 yellow can 10.25 watts 20,500rpm, 200 g/cm torque
          So motor power may determine which model you buy depending on your track situation. (and club rules if applicable

- I have actually converted all of mine to sidewinder, just because SW suits our smaller wood tracks and my drive style.
          But they still go well in angle-winder

I have both. So I can't fathom Dinglebery's comments. The body moulds are really similar - maybe he is being tricked by different angles of photograph.
          As for setting up front wheels ? Simply a case of setting the grub screws for axle height, and axle spacers as required on either one to get the tyre just inside the line of the fender for free body rock.

Comment

Originally posted by LegOutOfBed View Post
            ...I have both. So I can't fathom Dinglebery's comments. The body moulds are really similar - maybe he is being tricked by different angles of photograph.
            As for setting up front wheels ? Simply a case of setting the grub screws for axle height, and axle spacers as required on either one to get the tyre just inside the line of the fender for free body rock.
            Sorry but these are not the same...
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	0 Size:	23.3 KB ID:	47408Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	21.3 KB ID:	47409
            You can clearly see the difference if you look ahead of the door on each car.

Now, the real question is... is this just an extremely poor example of the Sidewinder or are cars actually shipped like this...

And yes, it's very easy to fix the setup of the front axle.

Comment

You are going off 2 pictures, I have multiple examples of both cars. There is basically no difference out of the box, both have allowance for a wheel to be 5mm inside the hub, or flush...

EDITED
              Last edited by LegOutOfBed; July 28, 2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Just buy them both and make your own judgement

Comment

• SpeedyNH
                  SpeedyNH commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yeah, man! and please post what you find.

• Fast Co.
                  Fast Co. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes! A true supporter of the hobby!

Best advice of all - and sorry DInglebery, my last comment was somewhat rude.

Comment

• dinglebery
                  dinglebery commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for recognizing - and no worries! All good.

As war eagle river said buy both and tune them and see witch one you like. I did that on my mercedes amg gt3 I could not decide so I bought both i choose the nsr amg gt3

Comment

Just a little more info as I have both cars. The chassis on my scaleauto car was brittle and developed a crack near the rear body mount.

Comment

• SpeedyNH
                    SpeedyNH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bobby, did the sideways car blow it in the weeds? i don't remember seeing them.
                    (if you have Group 5's, i'll bring one down next time. my track is buried right now so i haven't tried any.)

That might be the way to go, although I’d choose different liveries .

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it.

Stay safe
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Macphee888 View Post

That might be the way to go, although I’d choose different liveries .

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it.

Stay safe
                    Scott

There you go! Thats exactly what I did with the Sideways Porsche 935 & Scaleauto 935. Set them up exactly the same except for weight of course. There were differences in the way they handled, but performance wise, about the same. Good luck!

Comment

There you go! Thats exactly what I did with the Sideways Porsche 935 & Scaleauto 935. Set them up exactly the same except for weight of course. There were differences in the way they handled, but performance wise, about the same. Good luck!
                      Thanks Scott, I appreciate it

Scott

Comment

• dinglebery
                        dinglebery commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do report back and let us know what you've decided - I'm sure we'd all like to know!
                    Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1