X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexan Bodies....I still love em !!

Another transplanted thread.........

​​​​​​
    Hello Folks, While most of my building/racing over the last 10+ years has been with "hardbody" cars, I still Love the "clear" body cars, as these were the ones I built the most during the 60's/70's. While the 1/24 commercial cars eventually morphed into "speed at all cost wedges", (most not at all realistic, nor well painted) the 1/32 club scene generally required some decently turned out scale (ish) bodies.

There were some really great manufacturers (most notably Lancer) turning out literally hundreds of different models, all well detailed and well proportioned. Lancer made bodies in HO, 1/32, and 1/24 scale, and when well painted/detailed they could be made to look gorgeous. More recently, Truescale did some repops of some of the nicer molds from days gone by, and these can also be made to look equally as wonderful. On the other side, there were some truly horrific efforts by a number of manufacturers and these no doubt did not help the "clear" body reputation.

Done well, they can look great, and they sure help the car to handle well...

Below are a couple of "clear" 1/32 cars that I have done...

Cheers
    Chris Walker

First up is a Watson roadster, (Jim Rathman livery) done by Ej's hobbies (I have posted this somewhere here before).....it was a complete kit including body/chassis/motor, etc. etc., but I did build a new chassis, and changed the wheels/inserts.

Image resized to 87% of its original size [1024 x 768]

Next is a Lola T163 (Chuck Parson's Simoniz CanAm car) from Truescale....decals from Pattos'

Image resized to 84% of its original size [1069 x 800]

And last a March 717, also from Truescale.......

And a chassis shot of the March, ( I didn't have the inserts in at this stage).....a similar chassis sits under the Lola

I brag on Chris' builds every time I see a picture of one of his cars. I saw pictures of the Watson on the internet and always assumed it was an injection molded body. What a surprise that it is actually a vac form body. I love the old Watsons. This is my 1/24 hard body made from one of my resin bodies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	4164
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

Those look great, I'd certainly rock one of those on my track!

Comment

Chris' builds are on a whole 'nother level. WOW!

Comment

I have a stupid question (two, actually) - did you paint your clear body on the inside (like almost everyone does, for durability, etc.), and if so does it have that embedded, deep "paint on the inside" look, and did you rub the decal backing adhesive on the outside of the decal, and then mount it on the inside as well?

Comment

Originally posted by crossovercrazy View Post
            I have a stupid question (two, actually) - did you paint your clear body on the inside (like almost everyone does, for durability, etc.), and if so does it have that embedded, deep "paint on the inside" look, and did you rub the decal backing adhesive on the outside of the decal, and then mount it on the inside as well?
            Two very reasonable questions actually..!!..........the answers are, Yes, and Yes

That said, I did paint the lower chassis sills on both bodies with Tamiya PC silver......on the outside !

Cheers
            Chris Walker

Comment

Team SCANC
              Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
              OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
              Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

I like Lexan as well as the old butyrate bodies like this non-yellowed thick-shelled Dubro Mini Cooper.

TBD how I will go on this one, but will for sure first create a master for more vac bodies.

Comment

I've always loved lexan bodies as well. Early ( pre-wing ) 1/24th or 1/32nd. There's something about the Vacuum forming process that jut makes smooooth lines. And the paint on the inside gives that Deep Shine look. MTR makes some beautiful Lexan bodies. One of my favorites: Click image for larger version

Name:	Nissan GTP 83.png
Views:	288
Size:	548.0 KB
ID:	8022

Comment

Are these types of bodies readily available? Hard time finding info on Truescale products in 1/32

Comment

Originally posted by TAMELESSTGR View Post
                      Are these types of bodies readily available? Hard time finding info on Truescale products in 1/32
                      Yes and no......

Victor Furguson (Truescale) no longer makes his range of bodies, and while Pattos', Betta, and Parma do make Lexan bodies, they are not of the quality of the Truescale bodies, and, the Parma ones are made for the Commercial "WompWomp" chassis and are considerably than 1/32 scale.

Cheers
                      Chris Walker

PS Michael Tomsak (MTR) does make bodies, and they are certainly nice, but, I am not sure if he sells them separately.

Comment

Chris,

Those works of yours are as fine as anybody will ever make a lexan-bodied car look. (Although, I am sure my Artin stockers will out-handle your pan chassis )

Comment

Originally posted by crossovercrazy View Post
                          Chris,

(Although, I am sure my Artin stockers will out-handle your pan chassis )
                          Quite possibly

Cheers
                          Chris Walker

Comment

How about a proxy for realistically scaled and liveried vac bodied cars?

Comment

Originally posted by viejoronnie View Post
                              How about a proxy for realistically scaled and liveried vac bodied cars?
                              There are a few folks who would jump at the chance,......unfortunately, I think, very few

Cheers
                              Chris Walker

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              UA-149438709-1