Lane Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane Issue

I'm going on 3 years with Carrera D132. The layout is in the back room of a two room antebellum cabin. We had some cool, wet weather last week and I opened cabin door to let the cabin air-out. The temperatures were no lower than the 50's - Farenheit.
    Seemingly coincidental, one of the two lanes began to run irratically. At first I thought it was just the one car I was tuning at the time. I thought it might be a digital issue as I was resoldering the leads to the Carrera 26732 chip. The car would go anywhere from 2-10 feet and freeze - sometimes momentarilyand somtimes permannetly until I moved it along the track. Twice this same car - upon placing it on the track - began to run on it's own, though it was not set up as a ghost car. I think another car did this too - at one point.
    I also noticed the inconsistent start/stop performance on the 2nd lane - but not as pronounced. The 1st lane is the one I run on mostly. I noticed the phenomena on near all of the twenty (or so) cars I tried - with all four different wireless Carrera stock controllers too.
    Tryng other cars, I found that the issue was not solely related to the first car - though the first car seemed to exibit the inconsistentency the most. I changed braids on several of the cars and tis seemd to improve the performance. On the first car, I noticed a small copper-brown spot on the left braid - maybe a half millimeter in diameter. A few of the other cars had this, but I don't think I can be certain these spots did not already exist before this phenomena occured.
    There was an all-day steady light rain when I opened the non-insulated cabin. I closed off the cabin and dried the cabin out a bit with the AC system and it seems all cars have come back to there prior state. One or two will still pause a bit - almost imperceptably.
    I run stock magnets. I run several different manufacturers - Carrera, Scalextric, Scaleauto, NSR, SCX, Fly, etal. I have the Carson chip in the Scalextrix cars and the 26732 in all others except one with an Oxigen chip.
    Has anyone else had dampness issues with a lane or lanes, such that I might reesolve this as my issue I experiienced? Or might I expect a slight scale build-up on the lane contacts after three years that I need to correct? 50 degF is not an issue - right? Any thoughts welcome.

Try some inox on the rails and go from there
    Last edited by docdoom; October 29, 2019, 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Agree with running some Inox over the rails. If you don't have that put some WD40 on a rag and run that on the rails. Every fall when I open the track up in the basement I always have to run the above over the rails. Actually I do both, 1st Wd40 then the Inox. Good for the whole season.
      Dave

I wish you would have posted this in the Digital Forum. We Digital guys don't have anything to read.
      Dave
      Saginaw Valley Raceway
      Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Thanks guys! So dampness when I opened the house to the humid air is my most likely culprit then? Moreso than just the age of the track or temperature.

I ordered some inox and have WD40. What is the reccommeded application procedure? I'm guessing I should keep it to the rails only as much as possible to keep from any residue build-up - right? Or do both the Inox and WD40 evaporate well enough to prevent build-up?

Just for grins - is zippo lighter fulid an option?

Sorry about the non-digital post Dave - wasn't sure where the question belonged.

Comment

Just put a few drops on the brushes and run the car around the track. Might take a few applications on the brushes to get the whole track. Then after that when you start seeing issues again.
          Last edited by docdoom; October 30, 2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I use Voodoo Juice on my brushes 'sold for slot cars. Pretty good stuff, Also AJ's TNT . But their are many things one can use like above.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about buildup, although I've never put it on in excess so I can't say for sure. Like I said I do it once to get everything covered. I've done what the Doc has said too. I generally put 3 ghost cars on with inox on the braids and let them run for about 15 mins and all the stutters are gone.
              Dave
              Dave
              Saginaw Valley Raceway
              Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1