Been working again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been working again

I have had a painted body of the gorgeous Fly Lola for quite a while and I finally got around to it. Its the yellow one. I used printed circuit board material for a plate chassis, with brass soldered to it, suspending the front axle well above the plate. The drive unit is an old Fly pod drive, motor and drive axle as one.

Any pics of the chassis Rob

Comment

exactly.

Comment

yes , when you say circuit board chassis would love to see it

Comment

I took one shot of the chassis while I was still building, but whether I find it or not, I'll have a picture tomorrow of the finished chassis.

Comment

Okay, finally got on this. The shot I did before was for a diagram I want to put together to try to be able to print a chassis plan using these elements, just rearranging the parts to fit whatever I'm trying to do. So, it would be useless to post. I took another picture, and here it is. I try to make a chassis as simple as possible. The only other thing I would do to make this version better is to cut kerfs on either side of the motor/axle carriage for flex. I've done that with this PCB material in 1/24th, and it worked great. I'd have to thin the material to compensate for the lightweight 1/32nd. The places where you see double layers is to "sink" the screw heads to allow for the lowest practical chassis height.
            Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis; May 20, 2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

my friend Woody used to make G-10 24th Eurosport chassis. they worked pretty well. we used to call 'em "plastic wood". the pnly problem was that sometimes the soldered-on parts would lift the copper clad.

Comment

I worried about that when I started using the stuff. I found that using a higher temp soldering iron prevented spending too much time in one spot, and I couldn't lift the copper with pliers on the brass piece I soldered.

Comment

sounds good.

Comment

One question , what type of motor pod are you using ?

Comment

• docdoom
                      docdoom commented
                      Editing a comment
                      looks like fly motor pod

Thanks Doc

Comment

I could swear I said that in the first post. Oh well, yes, that's an old Fly motor pod. I bought a handful of them years ago and have been happy with them again and again.

Comment

And Way , I want to say I am sorry , I didn't read the first post as closely as I should have

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1