Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scalextric Ford GT - FF to S-can motor conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scalextric Ford GT - FF to S-can motor conversion

    Our local club has a GT class using stock s-can 18k rpm motors. I bought a Scalextric Ford GT knowing it had the FF can motor. Also, the stock FF motor is too hot for our class. So, even though I am still working during this pandemic, our club isn't racing so that gives us time to work on cars.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	299.1 KB ID:	34665

    Click image for larger version  Name:	002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	308.8 KB ID:	34667

    I opened up this car and started thinking about how I could get it legal for our class. Sidewinder is just out of the question because of the buttresses on each side of the read end, so I was going to have to go with inline, but still would need to remove a lot of interior plastic. This conversion is built on the lessons learned when I converted a Fly Panoz Esperante GT from front motor to sidewinder configuration. For that conversion I just cut a hole in the chassis and hot glued the motor in place. For this conversion I wanted to use my 3D printer to come up with a more elegant solution. So I designed a simple s-can pod/bracket.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	34664
    At the same time I cleared all the original motor mount bits from the chassis.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.9 KB ID:	34666

    Test fit with the motor mounted in the bracket and replacement rear end using Slot.it parts. I initially wanted to cut a hole in the chassis to get the bottom of the motor flush with the bottom of the chassis but during test fitting I noticed that the motor shaft was already slightly below the rear axle, and I didn't want to switch to an offset crown gear so I left the chassis as is.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	006.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.1 KB ID:	34668

    A test fit showing that I had to cut away quite a bit of interior but the rear window helped to hide some of that fact. I might cover that up with some black card stock.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	008.jpg Views:	0 Size:	258.8 KB ID:	34669

    The reassembled chassis. I went ahead and rewired the lights so they stay on during deslots. I also JB Welded in my own 3D printed guide adapter so I can use a Slot.it or similar style guide. I'll clean up the excess JB Weld once it cures. And, yes the rear tires will need to be trued down to a suitable diameter. Then use the original rear wheels to make inserts.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	316.4 KB ID:	34670

    Peter
    PetesLightKits

  • #2
    Nicely done. I have been thinking about angling the front end of the motor down slightly but it doesn't seem to be enough to get adequate clearance so I haven't tried it. This should be a fun car.
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

    Comment


    • chrisguyw
      chrisguyw commented
      Editing a comment
      If your rules allow, this is generally a very good idea,.....that said, if chassis/track clearance won't allow you to lower it by 1/16 to 3/32, it is really just a make work project,.....always looks cool though !!

  • #3
    Nice work Pete! Innovative and thinking outside the box is what keeps this hobby alive and kicking!
    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA

    Comment


    • #4
      It is a shame the rules would not let you slap a Minnow in there and be done.

      And Scott has already said it:

      "Nice work Pete! Innovative and thinking outside the box is what keeps this hobby alive and kicking!"

      Scott (The other one)
      Why doesn't my car run like that?

      Scott

      Comment


      • #5
        That’s sharp, great conversion!
        Mike - Galena Ohio

        "When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

        Comment


        • #6
          UPDATE

          Finished this up by painting the rear wheels flat black, then turned the original wheels down to use as inserts and trued the rear tires down to about 21 mm.

          Click image for larger version  Name:	012.jpg Views:	0 Size:	326.2 KB ID:	35191

          Lights on!

          Click image for larger version  Name:	013.jpg Views:	0 Size:	254.6 KB ID:	35192

          Click image for larger version  Name:	014.jpg Views:	0 Size:	276.7 KB ID:	35193

          Now, just have to wait until our local club racing resumes to see how it performs.

          Peter
          PetesLightKits

          Comment


          • chrisguyw
            chrisguyw commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookin good Pete........I especially like the lights !!!!

        • #7
          Looks good...I like how the tires fill up the rear wheel arches.
          Come Race at The Trace!
          Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

          Comment

          Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1