Legends HRW Invitational Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legends HRW Invitational Build

Got two "Paint-It-Yourself" Pioneer Legends kits to answer Harry's Legends invitational.
    Not being very familiar with manufactured slot cars, it was daunting to see the myriad of parts & pieces
    in the box. (Without a direction sheet, I might add)
    I was going to follow Harry's videos to build this, but I don't have the patience, & I don't have any after-market
    pieces for these things.
    My only alternative was to put it together "box stock".

After looking through all the stuff here, I figured my first step would be painting the body.
    That would give me time to think about what I got myself into.
    I used Ace Hardware white primer under Ace Hardware red. Applied home-printed stickers followed by Ace Hardware Clear.

I used the Pioneer axle bushings & didn't notice the loose rear fit Harry mentioned in the video.
    As a matter of fact they were a very tight fit. Harry's right about the fronts being loose. I installed using a dab of
    "tacky" fabric applique glue. To tighten up the wobbly factory guide, I sleeved the guide pin with a piece of heat shrink tube.
    I used the stock axles, gears & wheels. After figuring out which way gear goes on the axle & truing the rear tires I
    made quite a few laps with the bare chassis. In my opinion it might be a bit overpowered, but that's just me.
    My car came with a 33 tooth spur gear & 3 choices of pinions. I went with 11:33.
    The only problem I encountered was when the spur gear stripped off the knurled axle. some super glue & re-installation
    took care of that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6410.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	31822
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6412.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	31823

I'm impressed by the fitment off all the parts. (Once I fugured out what & where they all belong)
    I finished up the car in 3 afternoons without too many parts left over.
    I'm also impressed with detail of this model. It could very easily be a static shelf model.
    (Actually the pieces fit better & are more detailed than many of the available static models)
    It also runs real well on my wood track.
    I may have cut down the front body posts just a shmidjin............No other modifications.
    I think I have enough confidence to attack the second one I have..............

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6416.JPG Views:	0 Size:	484.4 KB ID:	31824
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6415.JPG Views:	0 Size:	447.8 KB ID:	31825
    Last edited by strangebrew; April 13, 2020, 12:51 PM.

That looks great, awesome job

Comment

Ah yeah!!! Perfect job sir!
      -Harry

Comment

Excellent job! Love the shiny red color and decals.

I recently put together a Pioneer 'Paint it Yourself' Camaro kit and have to agree on the attention to detail of the body and parts.

Looking forward to what you come up with paint scheme-wise for your 2nd Legend build.

Comment

Just a great build in every way.

Comment

Really Iike your vision on this Legends!

The 3-D fender vents add even more realism

chrome fenders and accents final touch

Thumbs up!!

Dundee Denny

Comment

nice work
              though with the sponsor and color should that not be a polar bear driving? Just saying...

Comment

Built this for my son to run against his twin 7 yr old boys on the basement Scalextric oval.
                If he's not drinking a Sam Adams he's got a Coke in his hand.
                Put his nickname "Flavor"on the roof.

Comment

That turned out very nice, and I like the idea of the shrink tube on the guide. Might try that on mine. On Carrera 1/24 guides that are sloppy I build the post up with thin layers of superglue.
                  Randy

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1