My recent Ninco Corvette build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My recent Ninco Corvette build.

Having some more time at home has got me finishing up some projects that have been lingering around for a while. I took this Vette apart probably 4 months ago. Last night I decided it was time to put it back together. Unfortunately I am going to have to change the motor in it, as even for a 14k this one is very slow. It came in another car so who knows how long it has been in service.

I will also be shimming the gear and cutting the motor shaft once I get the handling confirmed.

Anyhow here is a list of the things done to it. All simple modification that done well produce a really good handling and fun car to drive.

-S-can 14k motor. (I might put an 18k in it for the time being)
    -Slot.it Axles and 9/25 gearing
    -Front axle is blocked up with styrene sheet, then the front wheels trued down as far as possible.
    -Front and rear wheels are Pendle Classics
    -Rear tires are BOSA Ninco urethanes
    -Professor motor Oilite bushings glued in the back, glued in place.
    -Samson Clasics guide tube. I really like using these to put upgraded guides in cars where the post hole is too large or irregular shaped. I just ream out the chassis and press one of these in there. Perfect fit and the guide stays nicely positioned.
    -Sloting plus wood guide w/slot.it soft braid
    -Trimmed .050" off the body posts, installed urethane washers washers. (body lowered around .030")
    -Lots of work done around the edges of the chassis and body to get some good float, this car was tight!
    -lead

First laps show it runs very nicely, except for the dog motor!

Click image for larger version

Name:	90263788_3446487422042344_5883832293298012160_n.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	27346

Name:	90244460_651029932340362_2409795687521714176_n.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	27347

Name:	90099522_500179347330047_8860951112891498496_n.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	27348

Name:	90191305_1524062931086583_8430940666548191232_n.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	27349

Good job Zack, ............before chucking the motor, try a 23T Crown., better yet, a 10T pinion.................our local clubs run a ton of classes with 14K(ish) motors, and for anything up to 70gms., ratios in the 2.3/2.5 to 1 are the norm, (all the fast guys at least )

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

• ZackM
      ZackM commented
      Editing a comment
      Chris I may try that, but after putting it on the track I remembered thinking this was a turd last time it was in a car! I might fool around with it a bit more tonight before ripping it out, We will see how impatient I am!

Zack

• Kevan
      Kevan commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried running the motor in the other direction with the spur on the other side of the pinion?

• ZackM
      ZackM commented
      Editing a comment
      Kevan, no I haven't. But this is the standard rotation direct for this car etc. I think a motor swap will be in order, but I am going to try gearing it up a little first!

looks good zack. working on one too. need to try that guild mod on mine also...

Comment

Your Corvette is just so easy on the eye … and even if it doesn't go too fast, it looks fast. Another motor that would really make it sing is the green Ninco Sparker.

Comment

Nice build Zack I have the same vette built for our 14k class I run
        Glenn

Comment

Very nice. That's one car I do not have that's on my bucket list.

Comment

Zack,
            I have several of those I bought for a previous proxy. Most of them turn in the 12/13K range it is the rare one that makes a full 14K. That is the main reason we made the H&R the spec motor for our class as most of the are in the 14-15K range.

Comment

Last suggestion on the motor....try running it dunked in water or alcohol. Sometimes that really helps old tired motors.
              Or you might just have a slow one....it happens.
              Come Race at The Trace!
              Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

The alcohol trick is worth a try, dust from the motor brushes can get caught in the commutator slots and cause a partial short. If that does not work you might have trouble finding an exact replacement for the motor. A Slot Car Corner Tuna motor would have a little more power, but less than a Scalextric 18K type motor.

Comment

I really like the wire wheels. I have used them on some vintage Ferrari builds and they really are something. Nice looking car

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1