Best Bang for Buck - Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bang for Buck - Motors

We are racing Slot it Group C cars on both a oval and a decent sized road course. We are sticking with in lines and the standard based motors.

What is everyone's opinion on a faster replacement motor, Best bang for the Buck??

While not faster per say, the Piranha motors that SCC and Cloverleaf sell are a good bargain for less than $10.

If you have a variable power supply on your tracks, simply turning the voltage up will be a cheap way to have faster motors...

Comment

Piranha!

Comment

Agree.
        The Piranha is an excellent value. It has a smooth power band and it’s not unusual to find ones that test in the 23,500 - 24,000 rpm range (@12 volts).
        Bob G. ..... Boston, North Shore

Comment

For the price of a Piranha you can't go wrong. I have several in Slot It cars that will keep up with or out run the original slot it cars.

Comment

I found that the Piranha Ball Bearing motor is much better than the standard Piranha motor if you don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks.
            Dave
            Saginaw Valley Raceway
            Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

This is a subjective opinion, but... While the Piranha BB motor is more powerful, I found it much more difficult to control. It seems that it’s onto full power very quickly and made control of acceleration when coming out of a corner more difficult. I have a car in the 2020 GT3 proxy with that motor and I’m wishing that I had gone with the standard Piranha.

They’re both good values. Get one of each and compare.
              Bob G. ..... Boston, North Shore

Comment

For a replacement to the slot.it orange endbell, the Pirhana can't be beat.

The ball bearing version has much stronger magnets. Strong enough that you get magnetic down force on plastic tracks, which can contribute to the throttle response feeling more difficult to control.

​​​
                Come Race at The Trace!
                Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

The Thunderslot motor to me has a smooth delivery of power and I actually prefer this motor to NSR 20 and 22 Shark motors in certain applications.
                  The Piranha ball bearing motor could be great for your ovals providing downforce if plastic or magma braid while also being lighter than most S can motors. This motor won the most recent Can Am Proxy and should perform in a well prepared Group C car
                  Last edited by Brumos RSR; February 3, 2020, 08:28 AM.

Comment

The BB version of the Piranha has more RPMs and torque than the original version, possibly a little too much power if you are running without traction magnets. The magnets appear to be neodymiun, so on a plastic or Magnabraid track you will get some extra downforce. Without magnetic downforce you might consider going to a lower numeric gear ratio. Both of the Piranha motors are a good deal.

Comment

Chappy and Rich's comment explain a lot

Comment

I was going to use that ball bearing motor for a 1/24 scale drag car . Figured to use a different gear ratio to find the right speed for it

Comment

Thanks guys, I have been looking at the Piranha with bearings and decided to order one. We run on plastic tracks and are allowed to run magnets. I am also thinking about ordering some 8 tooth pinions to lower the ratio a little.

Comment

• Brumos RSR
                            Brumos RSR commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It will generate near as much downforce as a magnet car. Especially on a Group C. I have a 73g car that runs as if it has magnets

I run on plastic so maybe that's why the BB motor seems to run better than the std piranha when I did a comparison test. That's why I recommended it.
                          Dave
                          Saginaw Valley Raceway
                          Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Piranha! Best motor for your money for Group C.

Scott
                            Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1