Another possible home stock car build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another possible home stock car build

REL posted the picture below of a Richie Evans Torino.

Click image for larger version

Name:	#61 Richie Evans Torino crop.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	175801

I have just about all of the Carrera Torinos and expect to have 2 Benny Parsons Torinos later this year when my outstanding LEB preorder is released. I never actually got to see Evans race but he's a legend at many upstate NY tracks I've been to. If I repaint one of the Parsons Torinos this livery is now a serious candidate.

Here are 3 Tamiya spray paint color I'm considering using.

Name:	Tamiya TS56 Brilliant Orange.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	175802

Name:	Tamiya TS73 Clear Orange.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	175803TS73 CLEAR ORANGE

Name:	Tamiya TS98 Pure Orange.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	175804

Thoughts and suggestions?

Hi Slothead, TS56 (Brilliant orange) was produced for the Tamiya McLaren M8A CanAm car, and due to licensing issues Tamiya could not call it "McLaren" or "Papaya"..........it is the closest you will ever come to replicating the McLaren CanAm and early F1 cars............it is not however really all that close to what you are after.

TS73 (Clear orange) looks great over silver/gold to produce a Candy colour, and it is also great for tail light lenses/turn indicators etc., but, I do not think you will get close to the colour of Mr. Evans Torino, no matter what base coat you use.

I have used both TS12 (Orange) and TS98 (Pure Orange) on several cars, and looking at the car you are trying to replicate, I would recommend TS12.

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Comment

• slothead
      slothead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your input. It's always appreciated.

This is the right color that Richie use on some of his cars.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2522.jpg Views:	7 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	175817
    Last edited by REL13; September 8, 2022, 07:53 PM.
    Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
    Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

• slothead
      slothead commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing this, but I don't do air brush painting and am most comfortable with a rattle can solution. Credit for this whole journey goes to you. What are you going to do for decals?

• REL13
      REL13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I sent you a PM.

Richie Evans was the king of modifieds - and he did dabble in some other series. This car used his “rusty nail” modified color scheme.

The story always was that Evans used DOT orange paint on all his cars, sourced (somehow) from the local town (Rome, NY) highway department.

So think along those lines . . .

Good subject to build - I should have one of these myself.

Look at Model Master “Go Mango”.

- or try the highway department after hours. . .
    Last edited by Vintage 1/24; September 8, 2022, 08:39 PM.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

• slothead
      slothead commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked on Wikipedia to learn more about his career. It got him inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame even though he primarily drove asphalt modifieds. He definitely deserves a tribute car in my Grand National - NASCAR series.

Procurement from the highway department makes perfect sense to me. Guys are going to look the other way when it comes to helping out a local Saturday night hero.

This is what Chris recommended which is my top choice at this point.

Name:	Tamiya TS12.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	175838

Comment

• REL13
      REL13 commented
      Editing a comment
      A little too bright. you need the color closest to an orange state truck.

• chrisguyw
      chrisguyw commented
      Editing a comment
      Having sprayed quite a few cars in this colour I think you will find that it is less "bright" than the cap........for a more appropriate "vintage" look, use the Tamiya Semi Gloss clear (TS79) as your topcoat.

• Vintage 1/24
      Vintage 1/24 commented
      Editing a comment
      A few replica Evans slot car Modified replicas have been built locally, and the go-to rattle can is Model Masters "Go Mango".

There’s a lot of information on Randy Ayers’ site.
    http://www.randyayersmodeling.com/mo...t=richie+evans

Comment

REL - I just found some Rich Evans Torino decals on Ebay. Do a search on the line below:

#61 Richie Evans B.R. Dewitt Torino 1969 1/32nd Scale Slot Car Decals

I ordered 4 sets and will share 2 of them with you if you're interested. The order totaled $30.43 and should arrive Sept. 12th - 14th.

Comment

• REL13
        REL13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, but I am all set.
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1