Continued modification of a Monogram Chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continued modification of a Monogram Chassis

With the reassembly of this chassis after a few mild modifications from Sir Gascarnut and myself, the chassis is now soldered together and a modified handling kit added. With the move to 3/32 axles and bushings, the little 911S is starting to come together and may have some potential to run in future proxies. The next step in competing with Ragtopman who has his little 911S on fire in the U2.5L Proxy, is updating the guide. A starting point for a replacement/ upgrade guide would greatly be appreciated. Finally as I continue to improving my soldering and wire bending skills, more bracing may be added if needed. SirChrisGuyW, thank you for the inspiration as this car/ chassis sat in a box for years after picking it up from QuickCars. Pictures are included for attentional d the beautifully restored chassis of SirChrisGuyW .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	D101FB3B-2128-44D6-BC99-CD7D2CEAF53C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	175104 Click image for larger version  Name:	DCEEF117-CA97-4C88-BC70-DF35B74CBE47.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	175103 Click image for larger version  Name:	674BB13D-67EF-480D-BF0F-A32CA1A06872.jpg Views:	0 Size:	504.0 KB ID:	175102
    Last edited by Brumos RSR; September 5, 2022, 12:19 AM.
    The Jester
    of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
    the Soxside (Chicago)

Hi Tony, great looking chassis and a very nice Porsche, is that a custom or off the shelf chassis? Either way, it look's fast! A lightweight body with the weight down low = winning formula!

Chris
    "I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong "
    "And that just shows you how important the car is in Formula One Racing"

Murray Walker

Comment

• Brumos RSR
      Brumos RSR commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s an old off the shelf adjustable monogram chassis that has been straightened, soldered together and converted to 3/32 bushings and axles to create more options over the original 1/8 axles. The handling plate, not only adds weight down low but stiffens the car and helps tge soft chassis remain square.
      Although the guide fits perfectly, I would love one just a little longer or slightly forward. It’s plenty deep enough for the shallows tracks as well as routed. The goal is to be as quick as Ragtopman’s 911S in the current 2.5L TA proxy.
      Last edited by Brumos RSR; September 11, 2022, 10:18 PM.

Nice work Tony. It's a fine looking chassis. Hopefully, it will perform as well as it looks. These 911s are such beautiful looking bodies it would be good to have performance to match!
    Team SCANC
    Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
    OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
    Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

Originally posted by F1Fan View Post
      Hi Tony, great looking chassis and a very nice Porsche, is that a custom or off the shelf chassis?

Chris
      Hi Chris, The Monogram 1/32 adjustable brass chassis (pictured) was first released in late 1964, under their MGA kit,.............it was under (with minor revisions) all the Monogram 1/32 kits from 1965/66, and with some modifications, was very popular/competitive in many clubs' on both sides of the pond, and they were used quite successfully for many many years

They did produce some aluminum "home set" chassis 1/32 cars in the mid 60's, but, these were not as nice (or as competitive) as the brass ones.

Cheers
      Chris Walker

Here is a pic. of the top side of my Monogram chassis (lots of piano wire braces),...........the bottom side can be seen in Brumos RSR's post above (bottom pic.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2003-12-31-23-00-00-146.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	175165

This chassis sits under a Monogram 1/32 Lola GT...........

Click image for larger version

Name:	2004-01-01-00-00-00-54-copy.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	175166
      Last edited by chrisguyw; September 5, 2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Brumos RSR
        Brumos RSR commented
        Editing a comment
        Chris, any ideas on upgrading the guide from the OEM piece? As you know, post and hole are smaller than most standard guides.

• chrisguyw
        chrisguyw commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Tony, if you must really replace the guide, I would get one of Dennis' guide tubes (they come in a couple of different id's to fit various modern 1/32 guides),.....open up the existing 1/8th hole in the chassis and, solder the new guide tube in.

When soldering in the new guide tube, ensure that the guide will ride completely flat with the bottom of the chassis (with wheels/tires installed), or, better yet, have the front of the guide ride a hair above the rear of the guide.

• F1Fan
        F1Fan commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice, appreciate the back story. I raced Scalextric cars/track at home with my friends as young lad (10 yr? old) but then switched to 1/8 scale nitro RC and only got back into slot cars about 12 years ago, thus I have no experience with the slot cars of that era, or for that matter commercial cars. I do recall my dad bringing me a Riko chassis once, but we only raced Scaley.

Brumos! Wow! That looks awesome! Well done👍🏻 I better start working on another one😂

Comment

• Brumos RSR
        Brumos RSR commented
        Editing a comment
        I wanna see that little Porsche of yours win the TA! Between SirChrisGuyW and your 911S, I’ve been even more inspired. I’ll have more info on the other 911S down the road.

could there be a a narrow body 911 proxy be in our future. I have a nice little runner going my self with my own scratch built chassis under it. I had built it for the ta proxy. Ended up send the Italian job instead and that turned out bad. Next switched it over to the IPS proxy and just did like how it ran on the narrow urethane tires so off went the Daytona. So I installed some nsr 10mm super and slot it air gap wheels and the car just is a blast to drive with 18k motor.
      Last edited by docdoom; September 5, 2022, 08:15 PM.
      THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
      Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• Brumos RSR
        Brumos RSR commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you think there are enough MRRC 911 builders out there to run a proxy? That #68 would be tough to beat at 18k-20K

• docdoom
        docdoom commented
        Editing a comment
        Only way to be sure is to maybe take vote and see. I think it possible.

THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
      Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• Ragtopman
        Ragtopman commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great Doc!👍🏻

Sometimes you just need a thinking partner. Thank you SirChrisguyW!!! I have these 2 in the box Click image for larger version

Name:	E6D29CD9-2D41-4A22-A03B-F7F3B6C91924.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	175219
      The Jester
      the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

Brumos,
        Did you make a different deck lid for your 911? All my silver 911's do not have the deck lid spoiler!
        Marty
        T.R. Raceway
        Toms River NJ

Comment

Best kept secret out there…MRRC white body kits have both deck lids….if you can find them
          Last edited by Brumos RSR; September 11, 2022, 10:24 PM.
          The Jester
          the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

• docdoom
            docdoom commented
            Editing a comment
            that the issue finding them... maybe one of our forums 3d printers can print one up

I have one of the white ones but hate to use it since it is rare as hens teeth!
          Doc maybe????? We can only hope beg plead ? ?
          Marty

Comment

White kit on eBay buy now for 30 shipped. I personally run everything I get. I also get the collectors though. Have fun!

Comment

• Brumos RSR
              Brumos RSR commented
              Editing a comment
              I picked up 2 off eBay, sold 1. If the seller only has one or two remaining, it could possibly be the seller I purchased from, he ships fast.

• JCIS4ME
              JCIS4ME commented
              Editing a comment
              Only one I found is the collector one for $130
              Marty

Hope this helps…. Here is a pic of where I got mine on EBay. Looks like he has 2 or 3 left. Get em while you can!👍🏻

Comment

• GTI
              GTI commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the one I saw.

No wonder I couldnt find it! I only search in the US because some times it takes forever to get it here! I got me mine!
            Maybe we can have a proxy rally? Porsche 911 with the brass chassis...
            Marty
            T.R. Raceway
            Toms River NJ

Comment

Last one! https://www.ebay.com/itm/17539810099...QAAOSwcH5cBjdb
              Marty

Comment

• JCIS4ME
                JCIS4ME commented
                Editing a comment
                As of 9/15 ALL GONE!
            Working...