Motors to replace NC-5 and NC-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motors to replace NC-5 and NC-8

What motor is equivalent to change out to match the NC-1 or even replace the NC-1, I also have a couple of ninco cobras that I haven't opened to see what motor is in those? In any case I'd like to get all equal motors and gears to run in a Ninco 356, spider 550, Healy and cobras. Any help appreciated.

Thank you

NC1 is 12.7k @12v S-can
    NC5 is 16.2k @12v FK180
    NC8 is 13k @12v FK130
    Kevan - Isle of Man
    Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

• GTI
      GTI commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

So the NC-1 and the NC-8 can both be replaced with an S-can or FC-130. The NC-8 would need to be a long can. Predator has SC 12,500 but there long can is 17,500. So would I get an adapter and use the SC for the long can??

Thank you

Comment

You could always search out Al Penrose on FB and see if he still has any BWA motors left in stock.

Comment

NC8 is not long can. If the chassis ONLY fits the NC-5, and does not have a pod that can be switched out, or a long can motor bracket with adapters for the short can, then your only option is the NC-8.

I was in the SAME situation as you, and had to buy cars with NC8 motors just so I could move one into the spyder I wanted to race.

You can see what motor came in EVERY Ninco classic car ever produced on this list by Farrout racing club.

http://web.archive.org/web/202002220...e-Mans-1949-63

That should help you figure out what your Cobras have without opening them, but it won't tell you what kind of chassis it has, and whether it will be swappable for an NC1 or if you'll have to source an NC8.

Comment

• Wobble
          Wobble commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a neat link, thanks.

• GTI
          GTI commented
          Editing a comment
          Great info. Thank you

Both the NC-1 FC-130s and the NC-8 FK-130s are very low powered motors. You can look at the Slot Car News motor list for ratings and actual test results for many motors. I have the list as an Excel spread sheet, so it can easily be sorted by motor type, RPMs, and so on. The Artin white endbell motor is equivalent to an NC-1. you would need a can or double end drive motor. The 12,500 RPM Predator motors that Slot Car Corner and Cloverleaf sells are slightly more powerful, but should be a good replacement. Another choice might be their Tuna16 motor. The only low powered FK-130 that was on the list besides the NC-8 as a MRRC CS2002 Clubman, the Ninco NC-11 has a bit more power. There are no Predator FK-130 motors.

Comment

So, if I want to change the motor in my Healy to the predator, or the tuna it seems I would need the motor adaptors in order to do so? So, I'm trying to figure out what parts I need so I can get everything. The healy currently has the NC-5 motor. My Cobra has the NC-2 motor. It seems the same would be true for that one as well?

Comment

Can you post a photo of the bottom of your Healy? Or, provide the Ninco part number for your specific car (see the link I posted for help, if you don't have the case). Then we can look at it and say what, exactly, you will need.

Comment

Hi GTI,..........The interiors of the Healy, and the Cobra, may interfere with the increased height of the FC-130 motors. vs. the NC-8 (FK-130) or the NC5 (FK180.)

I have converted several of the Cobras' and have had to modify the interior (make it shallower) to allow the stock ride height when using an FC-130 motor........the plastic motor brush tab on the endbell of the FC-130's , make them a couple of mm. taller than the Fk-130/FK-180 motors.

You can buy a motor adapter if you wish, or you can drill two small holes into the motor bracket bulkhead, and use machine screws to secure the motor,....for that matter you could use ShoeGoo etc. to glue the FC-130 in place.

Cheers
              Chris Walker

Comment

• GTI
                GTI commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you, appreciate the info.

If the car originally had a NC-1 motor I believe that those are can drive. Any can drive FC-130 motor would snap in without using an adaptor. The Predator motors have a long shaft on both ends. At one time Al Penrose sold clones of the NC-1/Artin motors, he has a LinkedIn page.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
                I At one time Al Penrose sold clones of the NC-1/Artin motors, he has a LinkedIn page.

Al still has many FC-130 (NC1 clones) as well as some 14/15K FF050 motors,...........if anyone is interested, I will forward you his contact info.

Cheers
                Chris Walker

Comment

• GTI
                  GTI commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, I just pulled the plug on the predator motors. Appreciate it though.
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1