Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice: Fastest "out of the box" slot car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice: Fastest "out of the box" slot car?

I am gearing up for next season's family racing and looking for some advice on a competitive slot car to purchase.

We do "qualifying" racing of 5 solo timed laps, and your single fastest lap of the 5 completed laps gets recorded. If you don't finish 5 laps (eg crash), your "fastest lap" time does not count. Its a ton of fun and really gets folks pretty heated up on the solo timed laps. Our rule is simple......the car has to be raced as it comes out of the box and we set the track voltage to 12.5 volts. Cars that usually do well are the Slot It Nissans, Slot it McLaren GT1, Racer Sideways Rileys etc. We run with magnets, out of the box, on Scalextric track. Usually the fastest combination is a blend of a fast motor, smooth gears and strong magnet!

What do folks suggest as a fast 'out of the box' car that will do well under the rules above?

I am looking at the NSR Mosler since it seems to meet all of the typical conditions described above and has a "lightweight" body so I assume its fast! The chassis looks great and has a magnet included, and that is part of the typical winning formula. Also, the slot car needs to be rugged! When you deslot with magnets at top speed, there is carnage if the body is delicate, so F1 models are avoided.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nsr-0152-4 Combo.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	171323

I also really like the Revoslot Mercedes CLK GTR models and the chassis and bodies look great, but I dont think it will match the NSR Mosler.

Any suggestions for a good slot car that will do well 'out of the box' on Scalextric track at 12.5 volts?

Thanks RvE
    Ralph
    Toronto, Ontario
    Canada

I think you have a winner. I have nothing that will beat an NSR anglewinder... especially with magnets.

Comment

• Kevan
      Kevan commented
      Editing a comment
      You can make anything into a winner with magnets.
      For magless racing and strictly limited mag effect motors then SW is quicker.

• Bal r 14
      Bal r 14 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would be interested in how you accomplish this. NSR sidewinders are .2 slower than the same model anglewinders on my 60' routed track. I use silicone tires. I like the NSR sidewinders because they are easier to drive. But I can't get them to go as fast as the NSR anglewinders or ThunderSlot cars. Traction is not an issue.

great choice, however pieces will fly off at 12.5v and magnets, they are a little fragile at breakneck speed

Comment

Others to consider:
      NSR Porsche 908, there are lot's of livery variants. Car are strong performers and seem to take abuse. I like sidewinders.
      ThunderSlot Lola T70. Same as above. I have raced these many times and parts are still attached.

Comment

The NSR Mosler is a legend. Many clubs have made them run in a class by themselves they are so dominant.
        Mike V.
        Western North Carolina

Comment

the Merc AMG, new McLaren and C7 Vette all from NSR crush.

Comment

• Bal r 14
            Bal r 14 commented
            Editing a comment
            The NSR Merc AMG is my fastest car. I can't explain it, either. I have done nothing to it but change tires.

Policar P4

Comment

"Out of the box", assuming perhaps a bit if tuning but not changing any parts. I'd have to give it to any of the Thunderslot cars, not because they are blistering fast with their 21.5K motor but because they are the easiest cars to drive fast. Even a novis driver can get incredibly fast lap times with a Thunderslot.

Comment

• Pepsi 62
              Pepsi 62 commented
              Editing a comment
              totally agree with Thunderslot's however they don't have a magnet in them

• waaytoomuchintothis
              waaytoomuchintothis commented
              Editing a comment
              Novis is the plastic lens cleaner. You were so excited about blistering fast cars that you lost "novice" in the blur. I was so fired up about an F-1 race a few years back, I pronounced Monaco as "Mo-nahk-o". I was so excited, I didn't even notice and wondered what people were laughing at.

• Mitch58
              Mitch58 commented
              Editing a comment
              We race on wooden tracks, thus no magnets.

NSR F1 is quicker than a Mosler OOTB.
            Kevan - Isle of Man
            Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

• Fast Co.
              Fast Co. commented
              Editing a comment
              My NSR F1 needed some work, particularly at the front end to keep the lead wires from fouling the front axle. But if you define OOTB as minor tuning without the need of additional parts then, yes, the NSR F1s are great cars, as are most NSRs. The Thunderslots though, are hard to beat. With almost no tuning, right out of the box they handle like they're on rails. My Lola T-70 Spyder shattered the previous record at Bent Tree and still holds it to this day. Everyone of them is a pleasure to drive. We just had what was maybe the best racing ever with Thunderslot Can Am cars at SlotZuka. Apexbomber, Choke05 and I were all in a very close battle for the three podium steps until just about 2 seconds from the end when Choke nerfed me into the wall. Thanks Scott! Not! I don't recall if it was Jimmy or Scott that won that race but the three of us were jockeying for the win for the entire heat until those very last moments. I ended up third. Great racing guys! And great cars Thunderslot!
              Last edited by Fast Co.; August 13, 2022, 12:17 PM.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I will do a bit more poking around on the websites looking at these suggestions.
            Ralph
            Toronto, Ontario
            Canada

Comment

Back in the day, the fastest magnut cars were the Scalextric MG/Lola, The Rev/Mono Porsche 550, The Fly Viper with the racing motor, and the Carrera Jaguar D-Type. YMMV.

Comment

Thunderslots are great cars for magless racing but really bad as magnet cars. The chassis are too flexible . I would go with an angle winder mosler. The long can motor gives extra magnetic force (about 25 gr).

Mike M.

Comment

Thanks everyone........I ordered the NSR Mosler.
                  Ralph
                  Toronto, Ontario
                  Canada

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1