Carrera stocker wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera stocker wheels

As much as I love Carrera's stockers, sometimes when I look at the wheels I think they're a bit on the big side. Actually I've noticed that with other Carrera offerings as well. Anyhow I decided to have a crack at down sizing them a bit so off with the tyres, out with the calipers and set them to 13.7mm and off with some plastic. I also took the center ridge down to 16.5mm, banged on some Scaley old T/A rear tyres on the front and down to 16mm on the rear and added BRM Nascar tyres and put the wheels on 48mm axles. Needless to say I had to slam it a bit as well. Should've taken a before photo but found one on fleapay for comparisons sake.

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	483
Size:	718.0 KB
ID:	170633 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	170634
    Bram,
    CHCH NZ

Nice job I’ll bet it runs and handles better too
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

I have another idea you might consider. Switch to CB Design wheels with 3DP inserts and the designated PG or Quick Slicks tires. Then, you can sell those Carrera axles and wheels to me for a few $ each. Or, you could opt to go with new 3DP chassis (Shapeways) with Slot.It parts and sell me the whole Carrera chassis. Very creative fellow you are.

Comment

• LAMing
        LAMing commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup... what slothead said!

Our kingdom's for Carrera Nascar/Stock Car parts.

As for me, Slot, I've about resigned myself to the notion that I'll eventually need to find a suitable plastic chassis, and modify the chassis to receive, and then install, D132 chips myself as well as those $$ CB Designs wheels and aftermarket tires. Oh, and the challenge of figuring out a way to install readily adjustable magnets.

Carrera Nascar/Stock Cars: We not going to be able to live off the leftover parts and/or "collectible" market forever. The '57s are already at the "silly level" prices, and the "Classic" chassis isn't usable "as is" for my application.(Mainly because it lacks front magnets and the rear magnets aren't readily tunable. The "too long" part could be fixed if it weren't for the magnet situation.)

Harry has a series of videos on the HRW You tube channel on tuning these cars. Check those out as hall the parts and what you need to do is in the videos.
      Area 51 Raceway North Carolina U.S.A

Have Fun Racing!!

Comment

I think the wheels are 18" rims scale wise. They are very close to 1/25 scale 14" rims and I was checking them out to use for a project. The only problem with dropping the wheel size is the magnets drag on my track due to elevation changes and it would get much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Proxie Ken View Post
          I think the wheels are 18" rims scale wise. They are very close to 1/25 scale 14" rims and I was checking them out to use for a project. The only problem with dropping the wheel size is the magnets drag on my track due to elevation changes and it would get much worse.
          18" doesn't surprise me as by my calculations to turn these hubs down to 13mm (very close to 15" scale wheels) there simply isn't enough meat to do it and still add tyres. At around 13.7mm (around 16" scale wheel) there's still enough meat to fit tyres.
          And being as I'm a tight wad and don't like forking out for replacement wheels and chassis etc I'm getting a car that does what I want it too and looks good doing it and is still in with a chance of getting close to the pointy end amongst the guys I race with.
          I've picked a couple more cars to give the same treatment too 'cos I like how the wheels look although might end up doing more as BRM Nascar tyres don't cost the earth and they work well where I race.
          Bram,
          CHCH NZ

Comment

If the 1:1 car had 15" wheels the part that shows would be 16" in diameter. Wheel diameters are specified for where the tire bead touches the wheel. There are CB Design Classic Steel wheels that are available in a 15X11 size, I believe that at one time more sizes were available for that style.

Comment

• Lindy
              Lindy commented
              Editing a comment
              Rich - Thanks for reminding us of this. I knew this at one time, but had forgotten it. This can be important in selecting wheels for scratchbuilds.
              - Bob

There are all sizes for the CB Design, 15x7 to 17x8. Carrera NASCAR takes 17x8 for direct replacement that I show in the video series.

But he isn't wanting or asking that if I read this right? Just showing how he took the stock wheels and made them look better to his view?

-Harry

Comment

• slothead
              slothead commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, but that was just an opening for the rest of us to go on and talk about whatever we wanted to. Reminds me of the time Uncle Ralph sneezed at Thanksgiving dinner and someone said "God bless you'. That's when Aunt Mim pulled out her pocket bible and, well ..., the rest is in the police report.

Being as I'm happy with the end result of the Charger I decided to put this Road Runner through the same process. The only difference is PCS 22x9 tyres on the rear instead of BRM Nascar tyres. They are marginally narrower and treaded but are easier truing which they will need as they are treaded and they do have the added bonus of being slightly cheaper than the BRM tyres. It remains to be seen if they are as good as the BRM F22's but I'm quietly confident they'll be OK.

Name:	DSCF6224.png
Views:	196
Size:	952.8 KB
ID:	173834

Bram,
            CHCH NZ

Comment

Another couple of Roadrunners with modified wheels, Finding a photo of #79 wasn't too easy and the photo I did find displayed black wheels so I had to make another small change.

Name:	DSCF6225.png
Views:	119
Size:	607.6 KB
ID:	175225 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6226.png
Views:	118
Size:	657.4 KB
ID:	175226

Bram,
              CHCH NZ

Comment

Name:	5bee0ee102867.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	175232

Stop your unholy deeds and repent!

Name:	image-jpeg.72912.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	175231

Comment

• Wobble
                  Wobble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That Dodge looks so mean I just might have to get one and add it to my list of conversions. They certainly go a lot better with smaller wheels and longer axles and look better too.

• Slottus
                  Slottus commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thou shalt not diminish thy rubber!
                  Current trackwidth is due to the priority for "roadcar-versions, that would sell better than raceversions", which was A LIE!
                  Alternative proposal: get out the dremel, enlarge the wheelarchs and trackwidth and let them run on those glorious man-tires!

• Wobble
                  Wobble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where I race the tyres need to be replaced regardless as they're not up to it. Besides the Carrera stocker wheels equate to upwards of 17" wheels in the 1:1 world, and that's too big.
                  To the best of my knowledge Nascar wheels were/are 15" and even my finished wheels scale wise are slightly bigger than that.
                  Still like that 42 car and I figure I could win races with that with some minor modifications and I wouldn't need to destroy that lovely looking body.

That pic of the 42 car does seem to indicate the tires were quite large.
                Last edited by Proxie Ken; September 6, 2022, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• Wobble
                  Wobble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed, they do look rather large and the fronts are also virtually flush with the panel where Carreras are quite inboard.
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1