Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Tale of Two Racers (Racer Slot Cars That Is)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale of Two Racers (Racer Slot Cars That Is)

I have two Racer Piper-Atwood Ferrari 250LMs that at first glance I thought were identical but upon closer inspection proved to have several differences. I'm posting this here because I'm now curious as to how much variation there are among other Racer models. Maybe you have something different.

Click image for larger version  Name:	250LMb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	170284
    Click image for larger version  Name:	250LMc.jpg Views:	0 Size:	540.9 KB ID:	170285
    Click image for larger version  Name:	250LMa.jpg Views:	0 Size:	538.0 KB ID:	170286
    Click image for larger version  Name:	250LMd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	550.9 KB ID:	170287

These two cars were popped from different molds.

1) The car on the left has a front quarter that is slightly wider than the car on the right. This can be noticed most prominently just before the door jamb.

2) The car on the left also has a more graceful slope to the hump over the rear fender and the scoop molded into it appears more elongated as a result.

3) The Piper-Atwood decals on the car on the left have a subtle S-curve to them while the decals on the car to the right are C-shaped.

4) The car on the left has black surrounds on the headlight lens covers and around the windshield. The car on the right does not.

5) The car on the left has fog lights below the headlights. The car on the right has none.

6) The car on the left has an open wheel pattern and the hubs are solid gold. The car on the right has a closed star pattern and two-toned wheels.

7) The car on the right has a Racer decal behind the rear window. The car on the left has no decal.

8) The car on the left has "250LM" molded into the chassis (not shown). The car on the right lacks the model number on its chassis.

9) The car on the right has small details molded that the car on the left lacks, such as a small vent on the hood and minor details on the hood at the base of the windshield.

10) The car on the left has a more pronounced rear spoiler than the car on the right. It also has chrome surrounds around the tail lights while the car on the right does not.

11) The car on the left has a full interior (not shown). The car on the right has a half tray interior.

There are other small differences. I'll let you spot them.

I'd be interested to know if any of you have any Racers different to these.

Steve
    Last edited by Fast Co.; August 6, 2022, 02:47 PM.
    Team SCANC
    Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
    OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
    Leadfinger Raceway

Did you make the purchase new or used? The one on the right may be a racer kit as they:
    1) typically had the flat resin tray interior instead of the detailed interior
    2) The trim rings for the inserts are chrome in the kits and need to be painted
    3) Most builders struggle with the photo etched parts installation

The one on the right is the RCR030 body with dimples on the roof for small lights. I’m not sure of the one on the left as to the body code but that’s the full Piper Atwood car. Is the chassis on the left 250LM grey by chance? If so it’s an early Racer as the first cars had grey resin chassis.
    Last edited by Brumos RSR; August 6, 2022, 10:42 PM.
    The Jester
    of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
    the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

Thanks for that info Tony.

I'm not sure I knew that Racer issued kits, or maybe I just didn't remember.

Anyway, each car has a black chassis. The one on the right has a gray Slot.It motor pod. I'm not sure if the black pod on the left is a Slot.It or not. I think it is. The cut outs for the magnets are different.

I bought both of these cars in slightly used condition. They were both part of small collections so I don't know what mods have been made to either of them.

I find it a bit odd that Racer would have made so many small changes to the molds. I was thinking that the car with lesser detail may have been part of the Silver Line series. Info on these Racer slot cars is difficult to come now that the company is tu.

Apparently, these cars were made without license as there is nothing anywhere on them that identifies them as Ferraris.

Click image for larger version  Name:	250LMe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	878.6 KB ID:	170358
      Team SCANC
      Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
      OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
      Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

The one with the white motor is a 2nd gen car or updated 1st gen as it has the 19k motor and older pod. A 1st gen has the same pod, with the grey resin chassis and 19k motor. The 250LM on the right I’m pretty sure is a Racer painted kit as they later came with the orange endbell motor and no photo etched parts. The tires on the car on the right are all non factory while the tires on the left appear to be original Racer tires that have been trued or used.
        Last edited by Brumos RSR; August 6, 2022, 10:45 PM.
        The Jester
        of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
        the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

• Fast Co.
          Fast Co. commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tony!
      Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1