Got my new Alfa GTA !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my new Alfa GTA !

After months of waiting My Alfa GTA finally arrived! Great craftmanship as always! Nice fit flawless paint , awesome right out of the box! Way too fast for my track, is there a way to slow down the car? Gear wise! The pinion is a 9t and spur is 24t. Any suggestions? larger pinion?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220726_111318510.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	168518 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220726_111516954.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	168519 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220726_111331776.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	168520

Marty
    T.R. Raceway
    Toms River NJ

Got mine yesterday as well! little tuning and it runs great!

Comment

Motor swap or lower the voltage?

Comment

Motor swap!

Name:	PXL_20220726_130730080.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	168529
        H&R 14k Smooth as silk!

Marty
        T.R. Raceway
        Toms River NJ

Comment

Cars get hard to drive if they have too much power. Going to a lower powered motor is one possibility, the gcm rating is the indication of power, otherwise you would have to compare both the RPM and torque ratings of possible alternate motors. Turning down the track voltage would be another possibility, but I would not want to fiddle with the voltage setting when I ran different cars. In any case that would not be an option in a club racing setting. High end electronic controllers have a "choke" control that will tame overpowered cars. I would try changing the pinion gear first, you might try a 12 tooth pinion.

Comment

Rich
            I agree with you on turning down the power to the track not wanting to fiddle with the voltage so I have found that using the H&R 14k rpm motor on ALL my cars due to my short layout, 11 foot str8 so anything higher than 15k or more the cars become un-managable.
            I measured the voltage at the power supply no load 14.38 volts, and 13.98 volts at the track, all the cars respond well with the H&R motors, actually not to forget the NINCO cars that have the NC-1 in them, That is why I was looking for adaptors a couple of months back! That situation was rectified by using adaptors from SCC.

Marty
            T.R. Raceway
            Toms River NJ

Comment

Sounds like the voltage is a little high. We only run 10 to 11 volts on all our club racks.
              Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
              Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

The RPM rating of a motor does not tell the whole story, that is why I mentioned torque as well. A low RPM motor with a lot of torque, like many FK-180 types, might have enough power to cause problems. Going for a pinion gear with more teeth will lower the numeric gear ratio and result in the car having less torque at the rear wheels. The car would have less acceleration and brakes, but more top speed. On a short track top speed would not be likely to be an issue. Most of my sidewinder/angle winder cars are geared 12/34 which is 2.83:1. Many clubs that race cars without traction magnets set the track voltage at 10 volts. Be aware that most set type power supplies are not regulated, so the voltage will be considerably lower than the nameplate value when the cars are running.

Comment

Mommy sweet ride. Maybe next RAA proxies should be these type of cars and chassis
                  THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
                  Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

Originally posted by JCIS4ME View Post
                    After months of waiting My Alfa GTA finally arrived! Great craftmanship as always! Nice fit flawless paint , awesome right out of the box! Way too fast for my track, is there a way to slow down the car? Gear wise! The pinion is a 9t and spur is 24t. Any suggestions? larger pinion?

Marty
                    T.R. Raceway
                    Toms River NJ
                    Lower voltage
                    Throttle restrictor screw
                    Bigger spur
                    Smaller pinion
                    ...or just drive slower 🤣

Kevan - Isle of Man
                    Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

In response to the responses...
                      I race by myself, and built my 6th track, the last one in my living room, I have a 30 foot long room! But I agree with the torque of a higher rpm motor i got too much chatter at the throttle response taking off and coming out of the turns. Using the lower RPM H&R motors and NC-1 Motors I get a more realistic looking car going around the track. The PS is a pyle brand that I got for free and find no problems with it, it may have more voltage but heck for FREE! I was using an old Radio shack PS which now will be powering the lighting on the track. I want to thank everyone for their expressed opinions on my delimma, I knew I could count on all your help!

Name:	PXL_20220718_165016714.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	168568 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220718_165011686.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	168569

Marty
                      T.R. Raceway
                      Toms River NJ