Swapping Sponges For Urethanes /More Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping Sponges For Urethanes /More Info

As I build more and more cars with the LVJ chassis, and still somewhat like the sponge/foam tires on the required ProTrack Pro219 and N219 Daytona Stockers aluminum wheels, I am learning what I Don't like about them, too ; compared to urethane tires (and rubber and silicone ), the sponge tires wear down, surprisingly quick ! I also increasingly don't like the fact that they have to be treated (lotion, or even oil), in order to grip. Don't want messy lotion possibly getting on my bodies' paint jobs. and the potential mess underneath the body. I just spent the last little while stripping a ProTrack rear sponge tire off the wheel ! Installed Paul Gage urethanes, PGT-22160.395, and the car runs as well as with the treated sponge tires ! Just as I had hoped, as lap times are the same ! Only one bit of a problem : these tires are just, Slightly, wider than the fat ProTrack's (a bit taller as well). So as they're rubbing the body a bit, it does not take long to get my nice motor hot ! I don't have a tire truer, and the amount of truing/shaving needed would be too much stress on the motor and gears to sand the old fashioned way ! I will figure that out, somehow. But, I Do Have A Question : Does some other company, make a urethane tire, that is just fractionally smaller than my tire, but still fits the ProTrack Pro219 and N219 Daytona Stockers wheels ?? Remember, this is a no-rib wheel. Or, does Paul Gage make another no-rib wheel, slightly smaller, that would still fit ? Hope someone can help, and if so, thanks, in advance !

Protrack sponge tires can work great on any track. We use an old trick on our sponge tires. We coat them with Permatex Flowable windshield Sealer. This thin quick drying silicone is about the best grip you will ever get on a clean track with no chemicals or stickup added. Many ways to do it and best to buy a tube at the auto parts store and try it. Clean tire with lacquer thinner and let dry, Put it on an axle and in a drill at low speed. work it in and smooth it with a stick. You can rub it in with your fingers. If you have any kind of hobby lathe, you can put them on a 1/8 shaft and run slow and apply and smooth the silicone. Dries thoroughly in about 4 hours. Tires no longer will wear down, but silicone may need recoating after a few months. Try it and learn what you can do.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

• 6666hotrod
      6666hotrod commented
      Editing a comment
      I do appreciate you, mattb, and you turned me on to that good tip, a while back ! But what I'm up to, is eliminating the sponges, and having to do any treatments. My 3/32-axle/wheel scratch build's all have urethane tires, which perform very well, and all they ever need, is a quick roll across the lint roller, when lap times slow. Just want to convert those LVJ-ProTrack-wheeled cars, to urethane tires, especially as all of those car's tires are wearing down at this point.

Well....the PG tires are easy to reduce and true so if they are too large that's not really an issue, right?

Even without a truer.....hook up an old motor in a pod and put that on a block or piece of track with sandpaper and you have a truer without stressing your race motor. Yes?
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
    https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

Ortmann makes urethanes, but the 1/32 range is for center rib wheels and the 1/24 tires are replacements for vintage scale-size tires.
      Can you reposition the body? Lift the back half up a little bit so it clears the tires?
      Otherwise you're back to trimming the tires and maybe even spending an afternoon filing back the set-screw bosses on the wheels (assuming you're not using axle spacers).

Comment

Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1