Ticked With Slot It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticked With Slot It

Ran my new Jag XJR-10 after doing some work on it.
    The car was a rocket.
    Now I find out the new Group Cs and Classics are equipped with 23K motors. This has effectively antiquated a very large number of my cars equipped with the old factory standard 21K motors.
    Oddly, the saloon cars still come with 21K motors.
    Why couldn’t the company have kept the slower motors across the board so all of their cars remained even?

A good way to make customers upgrade to faster motors that they didn't need.

Comment

Wicker Bill, I hope this eases your stress, this is from our good Friend Maruzio Ferrari himself

Maurizio's response on a different forum indicating the original orange 21.5 K motor is actually a 23K motor.

“Except for the endbell, now moulded in one single piece vs the previous two pieces unit, the motor is exactly the same as before. Same magnets, case, winding, armature, carbons. It must be considered that the previous orange-ish endbell motor was wrongly specified at 21.5K, whereas it was 23K instead. The improvement should be a more uniform production, not a change in performance, so I think the old orange endbells V12/3 and the new V12/4 should be allowed to race together. We’ve made several tests and there is no significant performance change. The Skoal Bandit car will still have the V12/3 motor, the Camel 962 the new one. The published RPM vs. real RPM skew dates back a few years ago, when the motor maker changed the shape (and metal) of the case, without letting us know. Performance increased to 23K, but we didn’t change the specs.”
      The Jester
      of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
      the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

It's funny how psychology works, you 'think' something is better so convince yourself it must be even if the two are exactly the same.
        Kevan - Isle of Man
        Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

• WB2
          WB2 commented
          Editing a comment
          So you’re insinuating the electronic lap timer is incorrect?

• Kevan
          Kevan commented
          Editing a comment
          No, you can sometimes be underperforming because you're convinced your equipment isn't as good when often times a change in perception can suddenly find a few tenths you previously thought weren't possible.

When the square can versions of the V12/3 were introduced, I saw a noticeable increase in performance.
        Steve G
        Detroit Suburbia

Comment

That clears up a lot for me. I always wondered why my stock Slot.it DTM cars weren't too much slower than those I swapped to NSR 25k motors.

Comment

• Bal r 14
            Bal r 14 commented
            Editing a comment
            I typically run lanes between 9.8v and 10.5v (whatever you want on your lane) with DiFalco controllers, so all motors are as smooth and controllable as you want. The Shark 25 just has more punch and a broader range. I use the removed Slot.it motors in cars that don't handle power very well.
            Last edited by Bal r 14; June 25, 2022, 11:03 AM.

• WB2
            WB2 commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve never understood cranking the voltage down when the cars are made to run at (ostensibly) 12 volts.
            I get the same results running 17K Baby King motors instead of of 21K King motors at the designed 12 volts. I much prefer 17K at 12 volts and 21K at 10 volts.
            I just don’t get the Tim the Toolman ‘more RPM’ mantra when you lower the voltage.

• Bal r 14
            Bal r 14 commented
            Editing a comment
            Started at 12v, dropped to 11v, then 10.5v, mostly 9.8v now. Cars are easier to drive, easier to tune and stay on the track better. Everyone in our group picks their own voltage. You want to run 12v while I run 9.8v, it's cool. Odds are you de-slot in 3 laps, I won't. We don't have any easy to drive tracks.

Are both motors using the same gearing? Either factory gearing or a used provided change? Two identical oriental motors will dyno different RPMs.

Comment

• WB2
            WB2 commented
            Editing a comment
            “Two identical oriental motors will dyno different RPMs”
            Correct, but normally pretty close, not 2K difference.

• Bal r 14
            Bal r 14 commented
            Editing a comment
            I use a lot of NSR Shark 25 motors and have had only 2 that performed differently than the others, one a lot faster, one a little slower, all run standard NSR gear ratios.
        Working...
        X
        UA-149438709-1