A Frustrating Pinion Lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Frustrating Pinion Lesson

I don't even quite know how to ask the question, or describe this nutty situation, as I feel I should have known to check before committing. When building, whether a total scratch build, or
    building with an LVJ chassis, I always install my Pinion gear, before screwing the motor onto The Bracket, or Chassis. This is because my experiences have showed me that that ALL of the
    different pinions I have used, Will Go Through The Center Hole In The Bracket/Chassis !! (By the way : I have my own primitive methods of installing and removing pinion gears, without a press/puller, but the motor must not be installed in the bracket, yet !) Well, I was totally STUMPED, recently, when I installed one of the pinion's that I buy for the LVJ chassis cars, and when I went to slide the motor onto the chassis/bracket, The Pinion Is Too Big To Go Through Hole !! ...on top of that, this pinion was so unusually Locked onto the motor shaft, I wrecked a brand new
    motor, trying to get it off !! That motor and pinion, are in the local landfill, now ! Now that I've learned to CHECK FIRST, I do need some information : How can a pinion be Installed or Removed, while in the motor bracket, or in the chassis ?? Can someone refer me to a Guide, that demonstrates/tells how to properly do this ? ....also, I purchased a pinion-puller, some time
    ago, and it turned out to be just my luck that it's just a hair too big, for a small slot car pinion. Pissed me off, so I never bought another one. I'm probably going to be forced to buy a puller/press, but I don't wanna spend much of my money on one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HUD107000-2T.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	164556 Click image for larger version  Name:	LKY1000.800x600w.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	164557 Click image for larger version  Name:	SICH67-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.6 KB ID:	164559
    sometimes you have to have a proper tool for the job. some people use more complicated tools but i have good luck installing/ removing pinions with these.
    most times the motor mount has a gap where you an put the motor shaft thru so the pinion does not have to go thru a hole when installing the motor. maybe you can cut a slot so the motor shaft will slide thru without putting the pinion thru the hole
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lance; June 14, 2022, 11:36 AM.
    Lance Sofa racer, SA TX by way of Hawaii

Comment

Slot.it makes a pinion puller/press that now includes their mini puller. The mini puller can remove a pinion while the motor is installed in the Slot.it chassis or on just a motor also. The Slot.it press can also install a pinion while the motor is installed in the Slot.it chassis. The Slot.it pinion puller/press works on 1/32nd slot cars.

Jim W

Comment

If you're regularly installing/removing pinions you need a gear tool. If I had to toss a motor & gear I wouldn't be happy.

I have a SlotIt gear tool, bought in the first 12 months of the hobby in 2015 and I wouldn't dream of using anything else and it's probably been used hundreds of times.
        Kevan - Isle of Man
        Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

I agree. I have used that little brown job hundreds of times. I even bought another one when I accidentally broke the first one. But I have to ask... why didn't you drill the motor mount larger?

Comment

• 6666hotrod
            6666hotrod commented
            Editing a comment
            Thought the hole had to match to seat the motor : considered reaming it bigger, but convinced myself hole needed to match motor.
            Guess the motor screw holes would keep things right, huh ? .... or solder the motor in, maybe (prefer to have to solder as little as possible,
            as me and soldering don't get along well).

Hello 6666hotrod,..........Considering that your LVJ chassis are inline, with metal uprights that you do not want to bend, the only pinion pullers that will have a chance of fitting are the pullers from MRSlotcar, and the "mini" from Slot-it,....and even then the "T" handle on these pullers may be too wide to fit between your rear uprights.
          I have a few of these pullers, but, unfortunately I am away from home for a few days, so I will not be able to verify this for you.

While I am sure your "primitive methods" of installing/removing pinions have worked, unless you use solder on pinions, you run the risk of installing your pinions with some "wobble"..........please strongly (very strongly) consider purchasing a puller/press.

You should always install and remove pinions when the motor is out of the chassis, this will avoid the possibility of tweaking the motor mount or rear uprights (critical on a brass/metal chassis).
          When you select a pinion, check to see if it will pass through the hole in the motor bracket, and if not, the hole in the motor bracket can be opened with a file........the motor screws will align and hold the motor in position.

Cheers
          Chris Walker

This is the MRSlotcar puller......it is reversible for 2.0 and 1.5mm motor shafts........all metal, no plastic bits !!

This is available from Slot Car Corner and other retailers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MR8253-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	14.8 KB ID:	164595
          Last edited by chrisguyw; June 14, 2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

In a pinch you can use a C clamp as a pinion press, you would have to be careful to keep things aligned properly or you might bend the motor shaft.

Comment

I have been using my drill press to install pinion gears (just the press, no power). It works especially well on motors with shafts out both ends. I can clamp one end of the shaft in the chuck, so the motor is held square and no strain is put on anything except the shaft itself.
            Ed Bianchi
            York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

• Pappy
              Pappy commented
              Editing a comment
              That's pure genius. I never would have thought of that. When I was a kid in the early sixties I used a small hammer.

• HO RacePro
              HO RacePro commented
              Editing a comment
              Not having the right tool (or being too lazy/cheap to go get one) has inspired lots of 'genius' ideas.

I have 2 cents, i use a small vise for pressing the gear on the shaft, very carefully making sure its straight and it's only putting pressure on the shaft. Had to buy a puller because no good way to get gears off otherwise.

Comment

• Bal r 14
              Bal r 14 commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. I use a small drill press vise. I use magnets I have taken out of my cars to position and hold the motor. Works great.

Originally posted by oldspark View Post
            Had to buy a puller because no good way to get gears off otherwise.
            Have you ever tried a Michigan pinion extractor, you buy them in a kit, the kit includes a hammer and a coal chisel.
            Butch Dunaway
            Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• Kevan
              Kevan commented
              Editing a comment
              coal chisel?

• Mikeinclover
              Mikeinclover commented
              Editing a comment
              He is from Ohio and he is trying to make a joke, I think he means a cold chisel.

• Pappy
              Pappy commented
              Editing a comment
              Mike, I just spelled it the way Wolverines pronounce it. lol

1. Get a for real pinion press.
            2. Get a for real pinion puller.
            3. All the motor bearing holes in all the Womp-type frames look pretty much the same size. How big a pinion (dimensionally) were you intending use?

Comment

• 6666hotrod
              6666hotrod commented
              Editing a comment
              Embarrassed as I am to admit this, it turns out that I just needed to take a round file and carefully increase the size of the hole in that particular frame/chassis !! I discovered this after I went back and checked ALL MY ORDERS from Smith Scale Speedway, over the last six months, to see if any of those large Womp-type pinions I buy from them have a different part number, and is maybe bigger : that budget-friendly-priced pinion Is The Same One I Buy Every Time ! The hole in this particular chassis just needed to be filed out some. I KNOW NOW !! I had considered using a regular 5.5 Slot.It pinion, but was hesitant about using that with the big 1/8'-axle Crown gear. New Slot.It 29k short-can, and new Predator 20.5k-long-can, on the way from Slot Car Corner, for next LVJ project, and next Scratch Build project. ...'boy, you live and you learn, sometimes, the hard way !

My most frustrating pinion issue had to do with pressing a pinion designed for a 1.5 mm motor shaft onto a motor with a 2 mm shaft. You would think I would have learned immediately what went wrong after I bent the shaft on my best motor, but no, I had to ruin my second best motor too before the light came on.
            Team SCANC
            Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
            OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
            Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

• mattb
              mattb commented
              Editing a comment
              Reading this thread leads me to believe you need a bigger hammer. 8 and 9 tt got thru all holes, 10 and up might require a bigger hole. Use a file, use a drill, don't hold it in your hand if you drill it.

To enlarge a 1.5mm hole to a precise 2mm hole drill it out to 5/64ths inch diameter, then ream to 2mm.

Or you might just try using the 5/64ths hole as is. It should be 1.984mm -- an interference fit of 0.016mm. That might work just fine as a press-fit.

Which all assumes your tolerances are within reason. The motor shaft should be. I can't speak for your drill or pinion.
            Ed Bianchi
            York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

• mattb
              mattb commented
              Editing a comment
              Do the easy thing and order a 2mm pinion.

• Kevan
              Kevan commented
              Editing a comment
              You forgot to mention you need a lathe the keep the pinion/drill/reamer square and true and most importantly, centred.

• HO RacePro
              HO RacePro commented
              Editing a comment
              Or a drill press. First clamp a block of wood onto your drill press table. Drill a hole in that block of wood a close fit to the diameter of the pinion. A tad undersize is actually better. Press the pinion into the hole. Then, without moving the block or the drill head, go back in with that 5/64th inch drill. It will be square and centered. Since you have the pinion nicely supported, go ahead and press the motor shaft into it. Then extract the assembly from the block of wood.

I should get a commission for all the drill presses I'm selling! Might get me enough money to corner the market in 2mm pinions!
          Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1