C8217 Power Base problem !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C8217 Power Base problem !

Let me first say, I'm glad I purchased two, brand new Scalextric Power Base track sections, a few years ago. This is the basic two lane analog Power Base track sections. I just really, really wanna know what was going on with the malfunction I'm gonna describe : A few days ago, I began to notice that One Lane, was not operating and responding in it's normal way. I thought it was the hand controller. But when I switched the hand controllers around, that lane operated the same way. Two things were happening : the power was in and out (off and then right back on), and as I moved the controller wire around by hand, power would intermittently come back, then cut out again. I have two excellent, Professor Motor 35 ohm hand controllers, by the way. And use a 6 amp variable voltage, Universal Laptop Power Adapter for power. But, the other thing happening, was Really weird : When I got off the power with whichever hand controller, the cars would not want to slow down right away ! But not every lap, though ! Just half the time, and Only On That Lane !! I tried picking up the rear of a car, running it rear wheels up, and getting off the power with the hand controller, and half the time, rear wheels would Stop spinning, as they should, but the other times when I got off the power, Rear Wheel Continued Spinning for a good bit !! Really, Really strange. So I got the other, still new in the package, Scalextric Power Base track, and hooked it up, and all is well. I kept the bad power base, in a junk container. But I want to know, What The Heck Was Happening, there ?? Is this other new one, gonna do the same thing, in time ?

Have you been running any commercial type motors? 16d's or similar, there's a diode that will overheat and slowly burnout but as this happens ,I found it doing well strange things a bit like what you have explained.

I'd take a picture of it but for some reason the upload attachments and the upload doesn't work any more like it use to! Why do people always change things when it was working fine, never been able to work out this upload from URL

Comment

I have had them blow out a lane. Not sure of the cause.
      Arrold Martin
      Nashville TN

Comment

I think Rastas hit the nail on the head with this one
        I had almost exactly the same thing happen to my stock power base. Running some commercial motored cars eventually overloaded the diode that converted the scaly power supply (AC) into the DC required by the cars. Remove the cover from under the base and you will plainly see which diode or diodes have burnt
        Its still usable while the cover is off you can wire the after market power supply you mentioned into the track
        I did this after mine burned and it’s been running like that for years now
        Dave
        Peterborough Ont
        CANADA

Comment

May need pictures for us none electricians.
          Arrold Martin
          Nashville TN

Comment

Sorry no pic’s but like I said the burnt ones were obvious
            Dave
            Peterborough Ont
            CANADA

Comment

Thanks, guys : I haven't run any motors as hot as a 16d, but my last 5 to six Scratchbuilds, all have different motors that I wanted to try. Just Predator 25k's, Piranha 21.5 k's and Piranha 25k's, Predator long cans, and a Slot.It 29k. But again, they aren't as hot as a 16d. But I believe y'all are right about motors burning out diode : that sounds right, to me !

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	16532933169046161307214368917117.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	162368 figured out how to get the pictures on here, for some reason this new phone I have to go through chrome to upload photos! Anyways here is a couple picture of the diode in question , I was going to try soldering in a inline fuse instead of the diodes so it doesn't happen again. I've used 4 power basses running my old vintage stuff.
                Cheers,
                John. Click image for larger version  Name:	16532941695295548737405586749258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.96 MB ID:	162369

Comment

See how obvious it is when the magic white smoke gets out
                  I bet it still smells
                  Dave
                  Peterborough Ont
                  CANADA

Comment

• Rastas
                    Rastas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yep, I haven't found that special spell that makes that magic white smoke go back in!

The powerbases have thermal breakers to protect the other components in case there is excessive current. Cars with powerful motors, like 16Ds would trigger the breaker and shut off power until the high draw was removed, at which time the breaker would reset itself. In this case such a motor is not a factor. It looks to me like there is an intermittent short circuit in the controller circuit for one lane since sometimes a car keeps running when the controller is in the off position. The powerbases contain rectifier diodes, since 666hotrod is using a laptop power supply that has a DC output, so the rectifiers are not needed. The rectifiers have a low current rating, if the breaker was not there one or more diodes would burn out and the track would go dead. People that use power bases with an aftermarket power supply often put jumpers around the diodes. If you do that the diodes can't burn out, but in this case the breaker would still be activated when there is a short circuit. If the breaker was bypassed there is a chance that the laptop power supply could burn out if its internal protective circuit is not adequate. 666hotrod will have to track down that short.
                  If it was me I would not use those powerbases. I would wire the track with proper driver's stations that included fuses or circuit breakers.

Comment

• 6666hotrod
                    6666hotrod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Any recommendations for a hopefully affordable basic Driver's Station, for two lanes, that have fuses or breakers ??

Slot Car Corner has nice driver's station kits with self resetting breakers as an option. Professor Motor also has driver's station kits with optional self resetting breakers.

Comment

• 6666hotrod
                    6666hotrod commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you, SO much !!
                Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1