New Project - Honda RA 273 60s Era F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project - Honda RA 273 60s Era F1

I recently got started on the "Penelope Pit Lane" slot car kit of the Honda RA 273. This is a complete kit with a pre-built motor and gear "pod" that is built into the chassis. Its the Policar pod and very high quality! So the kit is more about resin model building and detailing that mechanical slot car building - but its fun! I have soldered up the wires and installed the guide and brushes, and installed the body on the chassis and adjusted the fit. I have completed a bunch of test laps and the car runs great!
    I will be adding the rear suspension struts and spring details and I plan to glue them onto the rear axle covers that I added. The axle covers are just the upper half of styrene tubing that has been carefully aligned and glued to the body. So when completed, all of the engine and strut details will be attached to the removable body/axle covers. I am a slow builder and the painting, detailing, driver figure, decals and clear coat will for sure take me many weeks (plus golf season is starting), but I will post pics as I make some progress.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8403 COMBO_Med.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	159285

Here is the actual car, driven by Ritchie Ginther, that I am building.

Name:	600b.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	159286
    Ralph
    Toronto, Ontario
    Canada

I have considered picking up one of these. Your pictures are making it harder to resist.
    The Jester
    of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
    the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

• RvE
      RvE commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my second PCS/Penelope Pit late kit, and the quality is very good, but they are pricey when you buy the body kit + chassis, and then add in the cost of spray cans (I just use Testors rattle cans), etc. It usually ends up costing more than a finished slot car.....but its a hobby!

I am sure it will turn out well,...have fun !!

I built the "Ginther" RS 273 many years ago using the original Airfix/MRRC body shell.............I think I may have used the same picture for reference !!

Cheers
    Chris Walker

Name:	2011-04-28-14-48-10.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	159336

Comment

• RvE
      RvE commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice build Chris. What colour did you use on the wheels? I am struggling to find the right colour.

• chrisguyw
      chrisguyw commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Ralph, I used some Tamiya TS 21, "gold" with a dust coat of Tamiya TS 71 "clear smoke" to darken them up a touch.

Wow. What a sanitary kit!

Chris: Nice build.
    Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

Comment

I am slowly making some progress on the build. I wanted to add some quasi-scale rear suspension details, since they are very visible on the car. Here is what I came up with. All of the details are attached to the body and rear axle cover, so its easy to remove the body from the chassis. The suspension struts are stiff wire, and the coil spring is stretched plastic sprue with soft wire wrapped around it. Of course, I need to replicate this on the other side - which is a pain. I am still considering how to treat the front suspension.

Name:	IMG_8483_Combo with car.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	159876

Ralph
      Toronto, Ontario
      Canada

Comment

• jhardy3333
        jhardy3333 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice work Ralph. Like Chris, a few years ago I did the Airfix version and also modified a VIP, I think, RA 271 into a 272 and used a Beardog F1 steel chassis for both cars. Keep us posted.

That looks great!!
      Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...gends-bullring

Comment

Made some more progress......I finished the front and rear suspension. These parts are just stiff wire bent to shape. Its a bit tricky to glue these in place, but I used CA glue and lots of patience. So far so good.

Name:	IMG_8524 COMBO Med.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	160248

Here is a "glamour shot" at this stage of the build. Next up is spray painting the body and hand painting the engine and driver details. Enjoy the pics.

Name:	IMG_8520 CR Shrp.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	941.7 KB
ID:	160249
        Ralph
        Toronto, Ontario
        Canada

Comment

Slowly making progress. I have the body primed and painted and now hand painting the engine, driver and suspension details. I completed the driver head to match Ritchie Ginter (or close to it). I am no expert this kind of detail work, but it came out quite well and here are some pics. These are about 10X actual size, and my mediocre painting skills look much better in actual 1/32 scale....haha. For reference, the head is glued onto a toothpick.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8613_COMBO_small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.1 KB ID:	162012
          Attached Files
          Ralph
          Toronto, Ontario
          Canada

Comment

Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1