Lotus 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotus 40

The Lotus 40 is a car that is iconic to me. It was my first 1/24 scale slotcar when I was a youth and for that reason is always a modelling project for me. I have scratch built a few with brass chassis.

When I got my 3 D printer though it was a car I wanted to render . So in the past few weeks I have been working on the body, chassis, wheels etc to be able to print these in 1:32 scale. Now all files have been completed and I can print out all the parts to complete this car. So I have been busy as have my printers

Using a sidewinder podded chassis with a 130 type motor produces a fun to drive car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B7D106BD-22F4-4C97-ACFD-56C3ACE487F7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	259.4 KB ID:	158113 Click image for larger version  Name:	88E73715-CDDB-4762-939C-CA8CB63C2395.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.10 MB ID:	158114 Click image for larger version  Name:	C6D193EB-0AD9-4E9A-950C-64EE397E4BCF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.84 MB ID:	158115

Cheers

Dan
    G.P Alberta

I'm always a sucker for threads called 'Lotus 40' and that looks great!

Is the bodyshell 3D file available anywhere?
    Last edited by Kevan; April 12, 2022, 03:59 AM.
    Kevan - Isle of Man
    Life is like a box of Slot cars...πŸš“πŸš—πŸššπŸšœ

Comment

Very Nice!!!

Bob
      Bob Edwards
      Northern VA

Comment

There's one on 3d printable shop not sure if it the same as the one dan has, the one I have it seems to print well. Click image for larger version

Name:	16497593534575357342231358279261.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	158136

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
          waaytoomuchintothis commented
          Editing a comment
          Love that 904 in the background!

• Brumos RSR
          Brumos RSR commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too!

• Rastas
          Rastas commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, the 904 is another printed project in the works one of many! I've got a K&B super challenger chassis sitting under the body waiting for mounting should be a bit of a handful once up and running!πŸ˜‰

Dan, that turned out great.
        Matt B
        So. In
        Crashers

Comment

The Lotus 30/40 is my all-time favorite. It would be nice if somebody (hint, hint Thunder Slot) cranked one out.

Comment

The Lotus 30 that is available has many inaccuracies. I kept the fenders, but redid everything else including the front hood and rear deck lid. I added panel lines, added a rear spoiler, fuel filler holes and caps and of course had to do up the intake manifold and exhaust.

The Lotus is 40 is a low slung car and this presents a challenge with respect to a chassis. 3 D design and printing though allows a person tailor make parts that work well together.

My intent was to build these at my leisure and sell a few to restock my resin supply.

I was thinking about making these files available on Cults, but am struggling with the ethics. This body started off as a file from another developer and is the bones of my version. It is heavily modified, more accurate and now represent a Lotus 40, with basically no surface left untouched. However is that enough to call it my own?

I was going to include files for the chassis, wheels, slotcar body shell, exhaust, rollbar, guide and a Jim Clark driver. A person would then have everything to print out a functioning slot car. Just add motor, tires, wire and braid
            Cheers

Dan
            G.P Alberta

Comment

• Kevan
              Kevan commented
              Editing a comment
              If you're going to quote ethics I believe Colin Chapman and Martin Wade 'own' it.

If you bought the file from stlprintables or 3dprintableshop I believe he's just a reseller himself as he doesn't do the CAD work.

So do you 'own' it? well yes as you've changed it, I don't see files I've spent hours modifying as someone else's property.

• waaytoomuchintothis
              Editing a comment
              Copyright law has been boogered up for over a decade. Giant money (Disney), rents lawgivers whenever Mickey gets close to public domain. Honestly, the only real judge about it is you. Make the decision on what passes your own conscience, and be happy, right?

Thanks for the opinion Kevan. This file has been a lot of work fixing it to represent a Lotus 40, and I share the opinion that it has been transformed into something much different and unique. Currently I have an STL body file that has some meshing errors that MS builder can’t fix. It prints fine, but I don’t want to upload something not quite right. So I need to see what other software might be good for fixing this STL file
            Cheers

Dan
            G.P Alberta

Comment

• Kevan
              Kevan commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't like MS 3DBuilder meshing, it's good for adding bits but leave the boolean operations and mesh rendering to something decent like Netfabb. 3DBuilder remeshing can drastically reduce the surface quality, Netfabb seems to actually improve it.

Love the Lotus 40 - I have the Cox version with magnesium chassis, 36D sidewinder, and steerable front wheels - a really nice vintage toy of great looking low-slung iconic vintage racer.

Of course when Richie Ginther was asked what he thought of the Lotus 40, he said " Same as the 30, but with ten more mistakes".

Look into what is acceptable regarding posting and reselling modified files - There may be better advice out there.
            There are usually conditions of some kind when files are sold/purchased regarding reselling and usage - I guess you shouldn't violate those.

No doubt you put a lot of work making the Lotus better, and converting it from a 30 to a 40. But I tend to be sympathetic to the original modeler as these things can take a very long time to create and it requires computers and software etc. - And yeah it is ruthless out there.

If you can build a 3D model from scratch you should do that - then you can post for sale with whatever terms you would like. Someone may then simply resell your files as theirs, or go into making the boutique kits you are making. I may be overly sympathetic to that (and cynical maybe), but remember it is ruthless out there.

Putting aside the idea of selling STLs for a minute -

I do like the idea of you offering the Lotus 40 printed 3D, with chassis, and extras. You build a few for you and build a few toys for some others, and those small sales fund your few car(s) or future projects - it can be like a hobby perpetual motion machine!

I think if it is done well, this kind of thing will be really great for the hobby in years and years to come.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
              Editing a comment
              Well said!

• Barc 1
              Barc 1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes that was my thought regarding the files as well. I want to respect the intellectual property of the original creator. A fully built RTR slot car may be the better way to go with this file. I own the modifications that make it a Lotus 40 and used in an RTR boutique car sold on such a small market seems harmless to the designer of the Lotus 30 file. I think you can repost the reworked file back to the original creator to make it available that way as well.

Re Cox Lotus 40

I have a complete set of the classic Cox 124 scale cars. The Lotus 40 was my first car I built and used on a commercial track back in the day.. I pull them out and put a few laps on them every year

This is not one of mine (sadly) but in any thread on the Lotus 40's , it deserves to be seen. This is a "Fein Design" resin kit, on a Plafit/Scholer type 1/24 chassis........the master, Mr. Clark at the wheel.

Cheers
            Chris Walker

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lotus-40-Can-Am-7.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	158221

Comment

• Barc 1
              Barc 1 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is one heck of a slot car and I have seen these resin kits done up before. I had some nice pictures of this slot car, and actually used is for guidance when doing up my 1/32 scale version. My final version has the fender holes over the front wheels as well.

Well done, Dan

I really respect that you do EVERYTHING on that car.

Later.

Dan

Comment

• Barc 1
              Barc 1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Dan. I am thinking that with 3 D printing there is a resurgence in scratchbuilding, it is just taking a slightly different track. When it comes to slot cars, you can build everything at home.

chrisguyw: What do the young kids say? OMG

Look at the 'weathered' exhaust detailing and the photo-etched windshield wiper and the body openings - a lot to look at here - all sorts of fine bits of kit.

Barc1: I agree with you that the RTR slot car, or a complete assemble-yourself, or an almost-RTR car/kit is a great way to go.

I have a few Cox cars, and there is something about the construction, look, and engineering of those toys that is another whole area of fascination - beyond the 1:1 interest and the general modeling interest. . . Early to mid-60s slot car engineering is a very cool thing - independent rears, steerable wheels, cast metal chassis parts, real wire wheels, quality built, etc. etc.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

The Fein Design is terrific but I would be afraid to run one seriously. I have a friend in OZ that knows a guy with home track and 15-20 of these cars that do get raced.

Chris, with your skills, you could certainly duplicate that build.
              Matt B
              So. In
              Crashers

Comment

Here is one in Gold Leaf livery
                Click image for larger version  Name:	63D70C25-1D37-40B2-B019-FF6D56078689.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.87 MB ID:	158266 Click image for larger version

Name:	71380B98-CDF3-4667-AB3C-8125828FDF80.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	844.9 KB
ID:	158268
                Attached Files
                Cheers

Dan
                G.P Alberta

Comment

• FC47
                  FC47 commented
                  Editing a comment