Magless F1 Experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magless F1 Experiences?

I’m thinking about adding F1 cars to my classes of cars that run on my wood track. I would prefer to limit it to either the NSR or Policar generics. The track is 40 feet long and run the NSR, Thunderslot and slot.it cars with 23-25k short can motors at 10.5v. What are your experiences with these two modern F1 brands running mag-less? Thanks for sharing.
    Mike V.
    Western North Carolina

Well we run them at our club track and they are a blast with the magnet removed. The policars come stock with no magnet. I Do not own the nsr yet but have scaleauto f1 and it with in 2 tenths of my well tuned thunderslot
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

We just ran a 12-race series of the NSR F1 cars. We have small tracks, about 40 feet in length and larger tracks, about 85 feet in length. The tracks include Scalextric, Carrera and a Wooden track. The cars ran very good on all of the tracks. You have to remember to keep the Aluminum crown gear lubed. We had a couple of fails of the crown gears until we kept the gears lubed. Most of our cars are sidewinder or anglewinder cars, so we don't have many performance cars with inline motors. The NSR F1 cars come with a 21.4K king motor and they were run at 10 volts on all of the tracks. The cars ran great on all of the tracks. We had set a maximum track width and we use Silicone tires, Quick Slicks, without magnets.

Jim W
      Denver, CO area
      Last edited by jaws; April 14, 2022, 09:33 AM.

Comment

The NSR F1 is one of my fastest cars on a 60' routed track on silicone tires. 9 - 10 volts works best. On a short track, an NSR Shark 25 motor makes the car a bit more nimble and doesn't break the tires loose so easily. There isn't much room for adding weight. The Policar needs a little work, but isn't bad. I trim the wires, get rid of the connectors and replace the guide assemble with a slotting Plus deep wood guide, with a spacer to get proper front wheel height. I am still finding the right silicone tires for the Policar F1. The ones I have on hand don't work real well. I have tried other brand F1 cars (Scalextric and Ninco). They are too fragile and their designs don't facilitate making useful improvements. Scalextric guide location makes for lousy handling.
        Last edited by Bal r 14; April 10, 2022, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Several of our GreatLakes Club members raced at the NSR Nats last year (Our ACE Jon WON) and we are now running a club series with the NSR after having a Policar F1 series. BOTH run fast without magnets and a bit of ballast to tune. The motors ARE a bit fast on full 13 volts or smaller tracks and we are tuning the voltage for more civilized racing where needed. Some are trying alternate motors for drivability. Currently, Quickslicks are our 'GO TO' tires of choice.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I’m leaning toward the NSR after reading your posts. I run Quick Slicks already so using them won’t be a problem.
            Bal r 14, when you switch to the short can do you change the gear ratio?

Mike V.
            Western North Carolina

Comment

• Bal r 14
              Bal r 14 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. NSR gear ratio for the F1 is 2.7 with the Evo King, while it is 2.4 with other Evo King cars. I don't know why they would be different. other than motor orientation. The gear ratio for Shark 25 cars is 2.9. These are all sidewinders. So, I figured the gear ratio for a Shark 25 F1 should be around 3.0 - 3.1. You can also use the Shark 28. It gives you a little more range to play with. I think a 9/28 would have worked great. But, I didn't have a 9 tooth pinion, so I went 8/28, which I think is too much. It slowed the car down it bit, but handled very nicely.

• Kevan
              Kevan commented
              Editing a comment
              Shark 25 or 28 should go better at 2.6-2.8:1 I don't venture above 3:1 unless the motor is 30k+ and none of my cars have anything over 30k anyway. Most of mine are Shark 22-25k.
              You will find a Shark in an F1 drives nicer, has a better range of brakes and feel nimbler.

• Bal r 14
              Bal r 14 commented
              Editing a comment
              So, you gear the F1 higher than what NSR uses for other Shark 25 cars?

We race magless on a 76' routed wood track at 13.8V and the NSR F1's are only bettered by well tuned Moslers.

Tyres that come with the F1 are Evo Supergrips, yes I know not the best but they wear well but the car goes miles better with treated Ultras.

Our Standard class F1's used to consist of SCX and Scaley F1's with a lot of work but still with standard chassis...the moment an NSR F1 took to the track was the end of the old Standard class cars, sad really as at least they had soul and looked different. Minardi vs Williams looked better than generic vs generic.
            Kevan - Isle of Man
            Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Another vote for the NSR F1's......they are quite robust, and are quick,............if racing on wood replace the FK-180 with an FC-130 .

Cheers
              Chris Walker

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4733.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	157954

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4729.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	157955

Comment

• Bal r 14
                Bal r 14 commented
                Editing a comment
                So what gear ratio do you use?

• chrisguyw
                chrisguyw commented
                Editing a comment
                This one has a 25K motor and is geared 8T x 25T............it runs very very well on our local wood club tracks, and equally well on the 130ft 6 lane Policar track at the shop.

Depending on your tracks, motors, (especially motors) and track voltage, your ideal ratios may vary.

• Bal r 14
                Bal r 14 commented
                Editing a comment
                So, 8/25 = 3.1 ratio.

The NSR F1 is one of those models that just gets it right. I like the width of the classic style and they run very well here on my smaller track. I just picked up a third one myself.
              Nothing against the Policar. Just prefer the action of the wider NSR.
              -Harry

Comment

• Bal r 14
                Bal r 14 commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. The NSR F1 is clean, simple and durable. "Durable" is a big thing on my track as most of the people who use it are terrible at it. I can give them a ThunderSlot car and beat them with a Fly truck.

• docdoom
                docdoom commented
                Editing a comment
                If you are running a f1 class, just separate the two brands., they are after are two different era of f1 one racing Policar late and early 70's and the scaleauto and nsr are 80 era. the Policar are good cars when raced together.

The new Scaleauto F1's should be worth consideration compared to the NSR's. I've not driven one but everything I've seen points towards at least as competitive.
              Kevan - Isle of Man
              Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

• Bal r 14
                Bal r 14 commented
                Editing a comment
                Please comment on the ScaleAuto chassis. I do not have a ScaleAuto F1 car, but the two models I do have seem to have an extremely pliable chassis that is prone to warpage and very difficult to get all 4 wheels on the ground. I contacted the place I bought from about a replacement chassis and they never responded. So, my inclination was to not buy any more.
                Last edited by Bal r 14; April 11, 2022, 02:14 PM.

• docdoom
                docdoom commented
                Editing a comment
                have you tried the slot it chassis straighten method on those it?

• Bal r 14
                Bal r 14 commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't know what the slot.it method is, but I did get them straight with some carbon fiber rod to add some strength.

I find a scaleauto F1‘s to be faster and better handling on my scalextric sport Track. It took quite a while to tune the NSR to be on par with the scaleautos. I have both the high and low nose scale autos and love them. They were quick out of the box and just got better.

Mike M.

Comment

• chrisguyw
                chrisguyw commented
                Editing a comment
                If you are racing on plastic tracks and race with magnets, the longer rear mounted magnet in the Scaleauto, will allow the car to be quicker than the smaller centrally located magnet in the NSR.
                Toss the magnets, and they are very similar.

• Kevan
                Kevan commented
                Editing a comment
                P944guy Bear in mind this thread is headed 'Magless F1 Experiences', are you comparing NSR & Scaleauto F1's with or without mags?

Magless. About 60% of my cars are now magless.

Mike M.

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1