A question for a friend !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for a friend !

As I know this is an Analog slot racing experience, here, my question is a bit off. But I have a friend, that is relatively new to The Hobby, and absolutely Insists on the Digital experience (Carrera, and all of his cars are Carrera, so far)! Our latest conversations lead me to my question, which he is on the verge of asking me :
    How do you performance-upgrade, a digital slot car ?? I'm talking Real, basic fundamentals, here ! Different ratio Crown Gear ? He knows about Urethane and Silicone Tires. Motor swap (which would involve minor soldering)?
    I know he would want to keep his cars close to stock, but I also know he has a couple of favorite cars, that he wishes were a little faster.
    I figure digital cars are likely quite limited in performance upgrading possibilities, but any help/advice will be appreciated.

Carrera cars are heavy and the motors are wound for 15v. I would use a better 12v motor. The Revo Slot short can motor works nice in heavy cars. You can do the same things to a digital car as an analog car, but on a plastic track with magnets it won't have the same results.
    Last edited by Bal r 14; April 8, 2022, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 6666hotrod View Post
      I figure digital cars are likely quite limited in performance upgrading possibilities, but any help/advice will be appreciated.
      You figured wrong.
      All the same things people do with analog cars can also be done for digital cars. The only difference between them is that digital cars have a chip in them.
      The only limitation to be aware of is the power handling capacity of the chip. Carrera chips are known to be quite robust, but everything has a limit. As long as he doesn't put some crazy fast motor in, and add more magnets, he should be fine.

If he wants to challenge himself, then suggest he pull the magnets out instead of ramping up the motor speed. And no, digital cars don't require magnets any more than analog cars do.
      Last edited by MrFlippant; April 8, 2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• 6666hotrod
        6666hotrod commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for all that : so, he Does have possibilities, within reason !

Any car can be made digital! The cars are the same with just the addition of the chip. The only thing with digital magnet cars is the possibility of blowing up the chip with too large of a motor.All of the usual techniques to go faster apply. Weight and ride height become even more important in mag cars. I can’ see why anyone would go analogue when digital offers a much more realistic racing experience. For a home track you get much more “bang for your buck” in the same space. The race management systems offer many options to recreate race conditions such as fuel loads, tire compounds ,and even weather. Making passes on a digital setup takes even more skill than an analogue track because you have to consider enough room to get through the lane changer before your opponent gets there. It brings in “race craft” in a more realistic way than just avoiding getting knocked off the track by a wagging tail. In the end it’s all up to what you want to have fun with. Try different brands of cars. Put in different motors ( I recommend nsr shark 20s as a starting point). Take the magnets out if you want ( your cars bodies will thank you). Just experiment until you find what works for you. You 6666hotrod should try racing digital with a couple of drone cars running around while you race. It will give a new appreciation for slot cars and how to drive them. In real racing the fastest guys don’t always win but generally the smartest do. Do what you want, but be sure to have fun! Soapbox now removed.

Mike M.

Sorry Greg, I was typing while you posted.

Comment

• 6666hotrod
        6666hotrod commented
        Editing a comment
        I appreciate all you expressed : you feel Just Like My Friend Does ! I'll try digital, when he and I can get together, on his home track. He lives in another State, but wants to help get me there, for a long overdue visit. Thanks, again !
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1